London Banter

-   -   Does anyone know what is up with the Central Line at the moment? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4715-does-anyone-know-what-up.html)

alex_t November 26th 06 05:06 PM

Does anyone know what is up with the Central Line at the moment?

According to last week's local paper, they didn't nick anything. They
tried, got as far as cutting the cables, were then disturbed and fled.

I guess on Friday they returned to finish the job...

[email protected] November 30th 06 11:13 PM

thoss wrote:

According to last week's local paper, they didn't nick anything. They
tried, got as far as cutting the cables, were then disturbed and fled.

Unfortunately not. The first time the cables were cut and stolen, and I
had a very cold night at North Acton watching the new sections of cable
being jointed.

The second time some but not all were stolen.

[email protected] November 30th 06 11:25 PM

Does anyone know what is up with the Central Line at the moment?

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article . com,
TheOneKEA writes
All Central Line trains are driven
automatically by a central control computer (in simple terms).

Not quite. I used to think this too but an AET who works on the Central
informed me that the ATO function is locally controlled from the
trackside SERs, which implies that the central computers are merely a
regulatory and supervisory system (i.e. a souped-up programme machine);

Neither is quite correct.

The ATO/ATP function is on the train and controlled by the driver:
- in ATO mode the driver presses "start" and ATO drives the train under
the restrictions set by ATP;
- in Coded Manual the driver drives the train himself under the
restrictions set by ATP.
In both cases the train is informed of the permitted speed limit in the
current and next blocks by codes in the rails. These are sent by the
trackside units. At stations, a docking beacon sends the train details
of the line ahead and, in ATO mode, whether or not to stop at the next
station and whether to go "full welly" or coast at various places to
increase the running time (and so space out trains).

The central computer:
- sets routes for the trains at junctions (like a programme machine);
- instructs the beacons to issue "don't stop" and "coast" instructions.

Actually, TheOneKEA's post is slightly closer to reality.
While the decision to coast is made by the control system, the facility
isn't used with ATO. Hence the system is independent of the signalling
control system in day to day operations.

TJC (currently Acting Senior ATO Data Engineer, Central Line)

December 2nd 06 07:15 PM

Does anyone know what is up with the Central Line at the moment?

I saw in the driver's cab of a Central Line that there is an indicator in
the form of a shrinking red line above the two start buttons, which appears
to countdown the time until departure. Is that what that indeed does or is
it indicating the position of the train ahead?

I assume that all of this comes from the docking beacon as well?

wrote in message
ups.com...