London Banter

-   -   Hammersmith Bus Station - Work Started (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4773-hammersmith-bus-station-work-started.html)

Peter Frimberley December 10th 06 08:57 PM

Hammersmith Bus Station - Work Started

A few months ago there was a series of posts here about the bus
station at Hammersmith and proposals from years ago to extend it.

Going past there the other day work has very much re-started (at
last), and there are signs up describing it as the "Hammersmith Lower
Level Bus Station" or something like that. I'll try to get some photos
perhaps next weekend.

I say "re-started" because the site including the Emerald Centre was
levelled, graded, and some basic layout completed well over a year
ago, but then it was allowed to become completely overgrown.

There's nothing new on the LB Hammersmith & Fulham planning site, so
they must be using the planning permission granted in December 2004,
which only gave permission for five year's usage as a bus station. I'm
not sure if the five years started in December 2004, or when the thing
gets finished, hope it's the latter for sense' sake!

As part of the works, the pedestrian subway in the vicinity was closed
3-4 months ago, and a load of telecoms ducts run through it, strapped
to the ceiling of the subway. I see they have now started to brick up
the subway entrances and back fill it around these telecoms ducts -
looks like the part under the actual road will be left as an empty
void, but with no access into it.