Old December 15th 06, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Utter rudeness

On 15 Dec 2006 08:26:56 -0800, wrote:

Unfortunately certain passengers become 'rude' because of the increased
levels of stress and anxiety brought on by the prolonged experiences of
personal inconvenience when traveling from A to B. The big causes of
stress in regard to rail travel are delays, increase in prices and
claustrophobia. Different people have different levels of tolerants
through experiences but if person feels threatened then the common
human reaction is to 'fight' back with fists, words or even a brolly
attack. When that's understood you can hardly blame anyone for the way
they feel or react when placed in such an environment/system and then
increase their stress levels.

To call someone rude is to disregard their perspective, experience and
point of view. (am I being rude too by pointing that out?)

While I understand your point I think you are stretching it a little too
far. Yes people get anxious, cross etc when there are delays on the tube
- completely understandable. I feel the same when I get delayed. However
you cannot use that as some sort of justification for people being rude,
insulting, patronising or violent to LU staff. In the same way there is
no excuse for LU staff reacting in the same way if they are stressed or
under pressure. It can be very, very stressful dealing with the
general public - I know as I've done it and there are incidents
indelibly printed on my memory from those times. Overall everyone must
exercise self control [1] or else we will simply end up with a real
mess.

[1] and yes it is very difficult to do. My special "delays" voodoo doll
has far too many holes in it ;-)
--
Paul C

Old December 16th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

On 15 Dec 2006 08:26:56 -0800, wrote:

My special "delays" voodoo doll
has far too many holes in it ;-)
--
Paul C

Much like the rail system it was probably based upon ;-)

--
Nathan

Old December 18th 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
[...]

If you can accept that it is possible for a normal, rational person to
become to purturbed by their environment that they essentially lose all
control, then you can't blame anyone for being rude. They might have been
through something, possibly just before you interacted with them, that had
you been through it, you might not react so well afterwards. Just think of
those you love - if they'd had such a ****ty day, would you want people
second-guessing whether they really have had a bad day, or are just being
rude? If your loved ones were in such need, would you encourage criticism?

Being rude or violent towards anyone is definitely not ideal behaviour, nor
should it be encouraged in any way at all. However, blaming the people who
commit rudeness or violence as being flat-out *******s is doing a great
disservice to both the victim and the perpetrator. Psyches are very
complicated, and it's nigh-on impossible for one person to accurately figure
out precisely what's driving another. The stimuli and mental condition of
one person might be completely alien to someone else.

When I see the LU workers walking around stations looking like they just saw
Santa getting mugged, I don't get ****y that they don't shoot me a smile or
perform a magic trick for me - I am quite capable of giving the benefit of
the doubt - especially as I know I'd like that benefit myself, should I need
it

I'm not having a pop, I just think rude people need help, not scorn

[1] and yes it is very difficult to do. My special "delays" voodoo doll
has far too many holes in it ;-)
--
Paul C

dave