London Banter

-   -   Boundary zone n fares scrapped? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4842-boundary-zone-n-fares-scrapped.html)

Colin Rosenstiel January 3rd 07 05:04 PM

Boundary zone n fares scrapped?

A friend reports:

"Had a 20% fare increase today. I generally have a Zones 1 and 2
period travelcard and travel out to St Albans by buying a cheap day
return from the edge of zone 2. Slightly less than buying it from West
Hampstead, That option has gone now so that my fare went up from £6.20 to
£7.50."

Why such a large increase?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

C January 3rd 07 05:39 PM

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
A friend reports:

"Had a 20% fare increase today. I generally have a Zones 1 and 2
period travelcard and travel out to St Albans by buying a cheap day
return from the edge of zone 2. Slightly less than buying it from West
Hampstead, That option has gone now so that my fare went up from £6.20 to
£7.50."

Why such a large increase?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Do you use an Oyster card?

Mizter T January 3rd 07 05:47 PM

Boundary zone n fares scrapped?

[originally posted to uk.transport.london - crossposted to uk.railway]

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

A friend reports:

"Had a 20% fare increase today. I generally have a Zones 1 and 2
period travelcard and travel out to St Albans by buying a cheap day
return from the edge of zone 2. Slightly less than buying it from West
Hampstead, That option has gone now so that my fare went up from £6.20 to
£7.50."

Why such a large increase?

I've heard nothing of any such change to, or abolishment of, fares from
the boundary of London fare zones, so I've crossposted your query to
uk.railway where those familiar with the latest National Fares Manual
might be better able to answer.

Perhaps you're friend has merely encountered a member of staff who's
got confused by the fact that since 2 Jan rail fares for jouneys wholly
within London are now zonally priced. Or perhaps they didn't really
know of what they speak. Stranger things have happened, unfortunately.

Mizter T January 3rd 07 05:49 PM

C wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
A friend reports:

"Had a 20% fare increase today. I generally have a Zones 1 and 2
period travelcard and travel out to St Albans by buying a cheap day
return from the edge of zone 2. Slightly less than buying it from West
Hampstead, That option has gone now so that my fare went up from £6.20 to
£7.50."

Why such a large increase?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Do you use an Oyster card?

That doesn't make any difference - a Travelcard season has the same
validity whether printed or on Oyster.

John B January 3rd 07 05:52 PM

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
"Had a 20% fare increase today. I generally have a Zones 1 and 2
period travelcard and travel out to St Albans by buying a cheap day
return from the edge of zone 2. Slightly less than buying it from West
Hampstead, That option has gone now so that my fare went up from £6.20 to
£7.50."

Why such a large increase?

(x-posted to uk.railway in the hope of attracting the fares experts'
attention...)

* The £7.50 is the CDR fare from West Hampstead. The fact that it's so
much larger than the BZ2 fare is surprising, but presumably one of
these random anomalies we all know and love.

* FCC does not have the right to abolish boundary zone fares, and
therefore presumably hasn't, unless DfT has allowed them to get away
with something very underhand indeed.

* It's possible that the ticket office person at your friend's station
refused to sell the BZ2 ticket out of ignorance/bloody-mindedness, in
which case your friend should compalin.

* It's just about possible that your friend has fallen foul of FCC's
restrictions on CDRs on certain peak-hour journeys, although I can't
for the life of me see how a BZ2 one would be forbidden on a train for
which a West Hampstead one would be allowed.

has an Oyster card, since Oyster Prepay isn't valid on FCC north of
Kentish Town, while Travelcards are the same whether issued on Oyster
or paper.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Colin Rosenstiel January 5th 07 12:19 PM

Boundary zone n fares scrapped?

In article . com,
(John B) wrote:

(x-posted to uk.railway in the hope of attracting the fares experts'
attention...)

Any update? I'm not in that group (life's too short).

--
Colin Rosenstiel

asdf January 5th 07 10:05 PM

Boundary zone n fares scrapped?

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 13:19 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Colin Rosenstiel
wrote:

(x-posted to uk.railway in the hope of attracting the fares experts'
attention...)

Any update? I'm not in that group (life's too short).

The new version of the NR National Fares Manual has recently been put
online at
http://nrekb.nationalrail.co.uk/pass...s/manuals.html .
Section K still contains full details regarding fares from the
Boundary Zones, as usual. So they do not appear to have been
withdrawn. HTH

Colin Rosenstiel January 5th 07 11:39 PM

Boundary zone n fares scrapped?

In article , invalid@invalid
invalid (asdf) wrote:

Section K still contains full details regarding fares from the
Boundary Zones, as usual. So they do not appear to have been
withdrawn. HTH

Not in the online version as far as I could find. There `is only section
K1 there. The map has a link but it gives me a 404 error.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

asdf January 6th 07 01:05 AM

Boundary zone n fares scrapped?

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 00:39 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Colin Rosenstiel
wrote:

Section K still contains full details regarding fares from the
Boundary Zones, as usual. So they do not appear to have been
withdrawn. HTH

Not in the online version as far as I could find. There `is only section
K1 there. The map has a link but it gives me a 404 error.

The actual fare tables aren't online (they never have been). But in
section K1, the rules for the issuing of BZ tickets are detailed on
pages K1.5 and K1.6.

Colin Rosenstiel January 6th 07 04:04 PM

wrote:

Section K still contains full details regarding fares from the
Boundary Zones, as usual. So they do not appear to have been
withdrawn. HTH

Not in the online version as far as I could find. There `is only
section K1 there. The map has a link but it gives me a 404 error.

The actual fare tables aren't online (they never have been). But in
section K1, the rules for the issuing of BZ tickets are detailed on
pages K1.5 and K1.6.

Indeed, but it doesn't answer my friend's question as to whether he was
over-charged. There appears to be no way to do that online or (from past
experience) by phone. He says: "He thought there was something odd so he
checked the computer listing which said it was the same".

--
Colin Rosenstiel