London Banter

-   -   Hither Green 73C (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4862-hither-green-73c.html)

MaxB January 8th 07 07:25 PM

Hither Green 73C

Passing Hither Green DD today I noticed a big sign in EWS colours saying
"73C". If memory serves, this is the old shed code (sub shed of Stewarts
Lane?). Are these numbers still being used or is just a bit of historical
decoration, does anyone know.

MaxB

Jack Taylor January 8th 07 07:53 PM

Hither Green 73C

MaxB wrote:
Passing Hither Green DD today I noticed a big sign in EWS colours
saying "73C". If memory serves, this is the old shed code (sub shed
of Stewarts Lane?). Are these numbers still being used or is just a
bit of historical decoration, does anyone know.

Historical decoration. The alphanumeric codes were replaced in 1973, since
when Hither Green has been HG. A lot of depots have customised some of their
locos with traditional cast (or plastic) shedplates, carrying the original
codes.

MaxB January 9th 07 03:36 PM

Hither Green 73C

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
MaxB wrote:
Passing Hither Green DD today I noticed a big sign in EWS colours
saying "73C". If memory serves, this is the old shed code (sub shed
of Stewarts Lane?). Are these numbers still being used or is just a
bit of historical decoration, does anyone know.

Historical decoration. The alphanumeric codes were replaced in 1973, since
when Hither Green has been HG. A lot of depots have customised some of
their locos with traditional cast (or plastic) shedplates, carrying the
original codes.

Thanks for the info.

MaxB