Old January 20th 07, 10:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster Prepay and YP railcard

Clive R Robertson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:44:04 +0000, PRAR wrote:

I don't wan't a discount on my fare I just want the cap to cut in at a
£4.80 travelcard not a £6.70 one.

PRAR

I agree. Using paper at the moment, I get all six zones for £4.80.
Using Oyster capping gives me only four zones for £5.20. What
incentive is there for me to switch to Oyster?

(Network Card discount at weekends from a Zone 4 station.)

Going by existing examples, I expect that the "incentive" will be
punitive fares for not using Oyster, regardless of whether Oyster is
fully available yet.

For a reasonably self-contained system like C2C, maybe Oyster can be
extended to the whole TOC, but with the larger ones like SWT, I can
foresee a larger-scale version of the problem that affects people with
paper travelcards who go to or from beyond their zones on LU, or who
currently have a paper ticket from Upminster to Southend, and want to
use Oyster as far as Upminster.

That is, having to get off the train to touch in or out at the point
where they start or finish the route covered by their paper ticket. If
that means waiting half an hour or else either paying a punitive fare
or paying twice ... Tough.

Old January 21st 07, 06:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

DERWENT Oyster Prepay and YP railcard
20 Jan 2007 03:27:47 -0800, "MIG"

That is, having to get off the train to touch in or out at the point
where they start or finish the route covered by their paper ticket. If
that means waiting half an hour or else either paying a punitive fare
or paying twice ... Tough.

Why not have oyster readers in the 357s? Then you can touch in on the
train, just the same as you can on a Bendy Bus. 357s have GPS so they
will know where they are when you touch in. There will prbably be some
issues with people delaying touching in, but with with PFs for un-
touched in Oysters amd PFs for having nto touched in before the
boundary these can be compensated for.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett
Old January 21st 07, 11:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

PRAR wrote:
DERWENT Oyster Prepay and YP railcard
20 Jan 2007 03:27:47 -0800, "MIG"

That is, having to get off the train to touch in or out at the point
where they start or finish the route covered by their paper ticket. If
that means waiting half an hour or else either paying a punitive fare
or paying twice ... Tough.

Why not have oyster readers in the 357s? Then you can touch in on the
train, just the same as you can on a Bendy Bus. 357s have GPS so they
will know where they are when you touch in. There will prbably be some
issues with people delaying touching in, but with with PFs for un-
touched in Oysters amd PFs for having nto touched in before the
boundary these can be compensated for.

I can't think of any reason why not, but given that TfL thinks that
there is a reason not to install them on Underground trains and that
C2C thinks that there is a reason not to install them now, despite
accepting PAYG for part of its route (won't be necessary if extended to
all of C2C), presumably SWT etc will find a similar reason.