London Banter

-   -   parking spaces at North Woolwich (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4906-parking-spaces-north-woolwich.html)

martyn dawe January 23rd 07 03:05 PM

parking spaces at North Woolwich

I just caught a bit on the news, just why were drivers moaning about
losing spaces at North Woolwich station , when it is closed
--
martyn dawe

Neil Williams January 23rd 07 03:59 PM

martyn dawe wrote:

I just caught a bit on the news, just why were drivers moaning about
losing spaces at North Woolwich station , when it is closed

Possibly they used the station car park to park for purposes other than
travel by train?

Neil

Mizter T January 23rd 07 04:51 PM

Neil Williams wrote:

martyn dawe wrote:

I just caught a bit on the news, just why were drivers moaning about
losing spaces at North Woolwich station , when it is closed

Possibly they used the station car park to park for purposes other than
travel by train?

Neil

But there never was a station car park at North Woolwich!

[email protected] January 24th 07 02:11 PM

On 23 Jan, 16:05, martyn dawe wrote:
I just caught a bit on the news, just why were drivers moaning about
losing spaces at North Woolwich station , when it is closed

I saw a news story a couple of days ago about parking at North
Greenwich. Was it that?

Mizter T January 24th 07 06:18 PM

wrote:

On 23 Jan, 16:05, martyn dawe wrote:
I just caught a bit on the news, just why were drivers moaning about
losing spaces at North Woolwich station , when it is closed

I saw a news story a couple of days ago about parking at North
Greenwich. Was it that?

Aha - that makes sense!

North Greenwich (Jubilee line) had, until the start of teh year, a
fairly large station car park. However the number of spaces in the car
park was significantly reduced on (I think) 1st January in connection
with the redevelopment of the Dome as a new arena called "the o2" [1].
I don't know why specifically - perhaps the space will become part of
the o2's car park.

I guess what people heard on the radio were former car park users being
annoyed as they can't park there because the car park capacity is now
much less. I must say that no-one can complain they weren't informed
about this in advance - since mid-November, quite probably earlier,
there has been a multitude of very obvious signs around the car park
and station explaining this forthcoming change.

-----
[1]
http://www.theo2.co.uk/

Dave A January 24th 07 06:32 PM

wrote:
On 23 Jan, 16:05, martyn dawe wrote:
I just caught a bit on the news, just why were drivers moaning about
losing spaces at North Woolwich station , when it is closed

I saw a news story a couple of days ago about parking at North
Greenwich. Was it that?

Looks likely:
http://tinyurl.com/yno2ak

"Car park spaces halved at tube

Jan 17 2007

CAR parking spaces have been slashed in half at North Greenwich Tube
station as part of a newly unveiled £30million transport plan. [...]"

--
Dave Arquati

[email protected] January 24th 07 08:21 PM

Mizter T wrote:

I guess what people heard on the radio were former car park users being
annoyed as they can't park there because the car park capacity is now
much less. I must say that no-one can complain they weren't informed
about this in advance - since mid-November, quite probably earlier,
there has been a multitude of very obvious signs around the car park
and station explaining this forthcoming change.

They might be complaining because they feel it a stupid decision,
rather than a surprise one?

#Paul

Mizter T January 24th 07 09:01 PM

On 24 Jan, 21:21, wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
I guess what people heard on the radio were former car park users being
annoyed as they can't park there because the car park capacity is now
much less. I must say that no-one can complain they weren't informed
about this in advance - since mid-November, quite probably earlier,
there has been a multitude of very obvious signs around the car park
and station explaining this forthcoming change.

They might be complaining because they feel it a stupid decision,
rather than a surprise one?

#Paul

Of course. However it's perhaps worth noting that it appears this was a
decision made by the developers who owned the land as opposed to LU -
take a look at the icSouthLondon article that Dave A linked to in his
post.

I'd suggest that the large car park at North Greenwich was only ever
going to be a short-lived convenience, useful while it lasted - because
the land was otherwise unused. However this was an interim period on
the Greenwich Peninsula, and things were always going to be subject to
change here.

Anyway a good number of the cars at this car park were very flash, and
I suspect they were owned by wealthy Wharfites - people with well paid
jobs in finance etc who work on/in Canary Wharf. Dare I say that I
would not be surprised if some proportion of the moaning was coming
from them, annoyed that the convenience they had grown accustomed to
was no more.

James Farrar January 25th 07 01:06 AM

On 24 Jan 2007 11:18:37 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

wrote:

On 23 Jan, 16:05, martyn dawe wrote:
I just caught a bit on the news, just why were drivers moaning about
losing spaces at North Woolwich station , when it is closed

I saw a news story a couple of days ago about parking at North
Greenwich. Was it that?

Aha - that makes sense!

North Greenwich (Jubilee line) had, until the start of teh year, a
fairly large station car park. However the number of spaces in the car
park was significantly reduced on (I think) 1st January in connection
with the redevelopment of the Dome as a new arena called "the o2" [1].

[1] They can call it that, but everyone else is still going to call it
"the Dome".