Old January 24th 07, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster for single day UK visitors?

If two of us are coming into London from Sussex to go to the RA in
Piccadilly, what is the best ticket option for getting the 38 from
Victoria and back?

Is it worth bothering with Oyster or best to just pay the full
non-Oyster fare?

We are not likely to come again for many months.

Old January 24th 07, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Albert
writes
If two of us are coming into London from Sussex to go to the RA in
Piccadilly, what is the best ticket option for getting the 38 from
Victoria and back?

Is it worth bothering with Oyster or best to just pay the full
non-Oyster fare?

We are not likely to come again for many months.

Full fare I should think , Oyster costs £3,
--
martyn dawe
Old January 24th 07, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Albert" albert@se-england wrote in message
If two of us are coming into London from Sussex to go to the RA in
Piccadilly, what is the best ticket option for getting the 38 from
Victoria and back?

Is it worth bothering with Oyster or best to just pay the full
non-Oyster fare?

We are not likely to come again for many months.

The credit doesn't expire, so as long as you come back eventually you can
still use it.

You can't buy tickets on the 38 anymore so having Oyster is more convenient
than using the machines that do not give change.

Old January 24th 07, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 Jan, 10:13, Albert albert@se-england wrote:
If two of us are coming into London from Sussex to go to the RA in
Piccadilly, what is the best ticket option for getting the 38 from
Victoria and back?

Is it worth bothering with Oyster or best to just pay the full
non-Oyster fare?

We are not likely to come again for many months.

A single cash bus fare is £2 so it's definitely worth thinking about!

Instead of just getting a return fare from your Sussex station to
Victoria you can of course buy a Day Travelcard which won't cost much
more - a Day Travelcard would give you unlimited use of the bus, rail
and underground network. This might sound like overkill but I suspect
it won't £4 (i.e. £2 x 2) more than a Cheap Day Return from your
Sussex station to Victoria.

Alternatively you can buy a Day Bus Pass which costs £3.50. This is
available from either the Underground ticket office or TfL's London
Travel information centre at Victoria, but as these both can be quite
busy you could buy one from the roadside ticket machines at the bus
station outside - you will need the exact change.

Or just get an Oyster card - the bus fare using Oyster Pay-as-you-go
(PAYG) is £1, and there is a daily cap of £3 on bus travel so if you
make three or more bus journeys you'll won't pay more than £3. And
it's very handy to have one, as you will of course then be able to use
it in the future. The credit you put on an Oyster card will not expire
either.

You can either get an Oyster card when you get to London - perhaps best
to head to the London Travel information centre which is on the
concourse of Victoria station. Alternatively get one in advance by
ordering it from the website and it will be posted to you.

Incidentally Oyster cards are either registered or unregistered. I'd
advise you to register it - i.e. associate your details with your card
- so if it's lost or stolen you can have your PAYG credit transferred
to a new card.

More information and order online:
https://sales.oystercard.com/oyster/lul/entry.do

Old January 24th 07, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Albert
writes

If two of us are coming into London from Sussex to go to the RA in
Piccadilly, what is the best ticket option for getting the 38 from
Victoria and back?

Is it worth bothering with Oyster or best to just pay the full
non-Oyster fare?

Probably best to get Oyster (you can't pay cash on the 38) but another
alternative is to buy a set of six Bus Saver tickets for £6 - you will
only need four, but the other two can be used on a later visit or given
to friends.

You should be able to purchase saver tickets from the TfL information
office at Victoria (opposite platform 8) or from any TfL ticket stop or
Oyster ticket stop - of which there are several around the station (e.g.
Photo Reels in the arcade).

I purchased a stock of these a few years back when they were only 65p -
so they have actually worked out cheaper than Oyster for me (sadly I'm
on the last set now!).
--
Paul Terry

Old January 24th 07, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:

I purchased a stock of these a few years back when they were only 65p -
so they have actually worked out cheaper than Oyster for me (sadly I'm
on the last set now!).

Now that's the kind of forward thinking we need more of in this country.

E.

Old January 24th 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

martyn dawe wrote:
In message , Albert
writes
If two of us are coming into London from Sussex to go to the RA in
Piccadilly, what is the best ticket option for getting the 38 from
Victoria and back?

Is it worth bothering with Oyster or best to just pay the full
non-Oyster fare?

We are not likely to come again for many months.

Full fare I should think , Oyster costs £3,

It's refundable, and they can use it the next time as well.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old January 24th 07, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

martyn dawe typed

Full fare I should think , Oyster costs £3,

Only losers pay cash fares.

Every alternative is better. Others here have suggested Oyster, One-Day
Bus Passes & Saver Tickets. They all work out cheaper in th long run.

The OP does not live so far from London that he is unlikely to have
friends and neighbours who could use an Oyster. Anyway, the stored value
does not expire.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 25th 07, 01:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
martyn dawe typed

Full fare I should think , Oyster costs £3,

Only losers pay cash fares.

Every alternative is better. Others here have suggested Oyster, One-Day
Bus Passes & Saver Tickets. They all work out cheaper in th long run.

With the 2007 fares, "the long run" is not that long at all. It's less
than two tube journeys.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old January 25th 07, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 10:13:31AM +0000, Albert wrote:

If two of us are coming into London from Sussex to go to the RA in
Piccadilly, what is the best ticket option for getting the 38 from
Victoria and back?

It's a nice walk from Victoria to the RA, especially if you go the long
way round to come through St James's park as well as Green park.

Is it worth bothering with Oyster or best to just pay the full
non-Oyster fare?

We are not likely to come again for many months.

Certainly don't bother with Oyster, it'll be far too much like hard work
for just one return journey.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Did you know that shotguns taste like candy canes? Put the barrel in
your mouth and pull the trigger for an extra blast of minty goodness!