Old January 28th 07, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Moving to London

When i've passed my driving test, i'll be hiring a van to move all my
stuff to west london. I'd like to live in harrow and will be aiming to
find a cheap 1 room flat.

I've posted this here because public transport will be important. what
kind of tricks and tips are there to learn around the system of tube
and buses. there are certain flares of etiquette i don't understand,
for example with the routemaster buses, you could just jump on the
back?? where and when did you pay.

what other querks of london should i be aware of. under no
circumstances do i want to look different of sorts, it'll be the most
important reason for my move.

i'll be riding a bike as well, what is the cycle network like?

Old January 28th 07, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"TheSovereign" typed

When i've passed my driving test, i'll be hiring a van to move all my
stuff to west london. I'd like to live in harrow and will be aiming to
find a cheap 1 room flat.

Nothing is 'cheap' in London, accommodation-wise.

I've posted this here because public transport will be important. what
kind of tricks and tips are there to learn around the system of tube
and buses. there are certain flares of etiquette i don't understand,
for example with the routemaster buses, you could just jump on the
back?? where and when did you pay.

Routemaster buses only now run on some 'heritage' routes in Central
London. They have been phased out to all intents and purposes.

what other querks of london should i be aware of. under no
circumstances do i want to look different of sorts, it'll be the most
important reason for my move.

I have no idea how a typical Londoner looks, compared to anyone else...

Between Harrow and Finchley Road, some Metropolitan Line trains do not
stop and run very fast. Some just stop at Wembley Park, some stop at
Northwick Park and Preston Road too. Sometimes you can catch a train
you've missed by getting a later fast train...

i'll be riding a bike as well, what is the cycle network like?

Variable. The residents of Harrow *hate* some of the cycle lanes that
have been put in (to be fair, some are useless) and motorists in outer
London are not that accustomed to cyclists and their needs. Inside the
North Circular, there are far more cyclists.

The TfL cycle maps are free from the TfL website and worth having. I
would not recommend all the routes shown.

It is worth joining the London Cycling Campaign for third party
insurance, legal help if needed, the magazine and general camaraderie.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 29th 07, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheSovereign wrote:
When i've passed my driving test, i'll be hiring a van to move all my
stuff to west london. I'd like to live in harrow and will be aiming to
find a cheap 1 room flat.

"cheap" is relative...

I've posted this here because public transport will be important. what
kind of tricks and tips are there to learn around the system of tube

The most important thing to remember is that dogs must be carried on the
escalators. If you don't have a dog, you could try to borrow one.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 1st 07, 01:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Moving to London (OT van hire)

"TheSovereign" wrote
When i've passed my driving test, i'll be hiring a van to move all my
stuff to west london.

Have you sorted out a hire company that will accept a new driver - most
require you to have held a licence for over a year and be over 21 or 25.
sorry if you've already thought this through but I've seen a few friends get
caught out by this.

Ian

Old February 8th 07, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheSovereign wrote:
When i've passed my driving test, i'll be hiring a van to move all my
stuff to west london. I'd like to live in harrow and will be aiming to
find a cheap 1 room flat.

I've posted this here because public transport will be important. ...

what other querks of london should i be aware of. under no
circumstances do i want to look different of sorts, it'll be the most
important reason for my move.

i'll be riding a bike as well, what is the cycle network like?

The same as the road network, with some extra bits such as the canal
towpath. Plenty of bus lanes around, and some dodgy shared pavements
which are better ignored.

Outside peak hours, you can take your bike on mainline and subsurface
trains, and surface sections of tube routes. This lets you ride to
central London without necessarily having to ride back.

Having a bike also lets you ride to the station with the best service
to your destination, instead of walking to the closest station.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as