London Banter

-   -   Why is the Victoria line so hot these days? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4934-why-victoria-line-so-hot.html)

Boltar January 30th 07 03:44 PM

Why is the Victoria line so hot these days?

I've noticed the victoria line seems to be much warmer than the other
lines these days (or maybe it always has been but I've not noticed).
Is this because the trains are more frequent , or they use up more
energy on ATO , or the tunnel ventilation isn't so good , or is there
some other reason?

B2003

eastender January 30th 07 04:12 PM

Boltar wrote:

I've noticed the victoria line seems to be much warmer than the other
lines these days (or maybe it always has been but I've not noticed).
Is this because the trains are more frequent , or they use up more
energy on ATO , or the tunnel ventilation isn't so good , or is there
some other reason?

It's you - steaming about the yoof of today.

E.

alex_t January 30th 07 05:55 PM

Why is the Victoria line so hot these days?

Victoria line is completely underground - it does not have a natural
source of fresh air, like most other lines.

Paul Terry January 30th 07 06:04 PM

Why is the Victoria line so hot these days?

In message . com,
Boltar writes

I've noticed the victoria line seems to be much warmer than the other
lines these days (or maybe it always has been but I've not noticed).
Is this because the trains are more frequent , or they use up more
energy on ATO , or the tunnel ventilation isn't so good , or is there
some other reason?

Perhaps its because Victoria-line trains remain entirely underground
while in service.
--
Paul Terry

Orienteer January 30th 07 06:12 PM

Why is the Victoria line so hot these days?

"Boltar" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've noticed the victoria line seems to be much warmer than the other
lines these days (or maybe it always has been but I've not noticed).
Is this because the trains are more frequent , or they use up more
energy on ATO , or the tunnel ventilation isn't so good , or is there
some other reason?

B2003

Of the deep tube lines, the Central, Northern and Jubilee are cooler as they
use more modern traction and braking technology that doesn't create so much
heat. The Vic should be cooler when it gets new trains in 2009.

Andy January 30th 07 07:28 PM

Why is the Victoria line so hot these days?

"Boltar" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've noticed the victoria line seems to be much warmer than the other
lines these days (or maybe it always has been but I've not noticed).
Is this because the trains are more frequent , or they use up more
energy on ATO , or the tunnel ventilation isn't so good , or is there
some other reason?

B2003

The CCO (Coasting Control Override) trial might have some effect.

Andrew

Stuart January 30th 07 09:30 PM

Boltar wrote:
I've noticed the victoria line seems to be much warmer than the other
lines these days (or maybe it always has been but I've not noticed).
Is this because the trains are more frequent , or they use up more
energy on ATO , or the tunnel ventilation isn't so good , or is there
some other reason?

Always has been hotter (well as long as i've been travelling on it).

I've asked this before on here, the answer i got was that it's to do
with the fact that the Vic line is completely underground and so the
trains don't have any fresh air to cool off in except when they go to
the depot.

It's really noticable at Highbury & Islington where the FCC platforms
are like a fridge in comparison

martyn dawe January 31st 07 12:44 AM

Why is the Victoria line so hot these days?

In message , Stuart
writes
Boltar wrote:
I've noticed the victoria line seems to be much warmer than the other
lines these days (or maybe it always has been but I've not noticed).
Is this because the trains are more frequent , or they use up more
energy on ATO , or the tunnel ventilation isn't so good , or is there
some other reason?

Always has been hotter (well as long as i've been travelling on it).

I've asked this before on here, the answer i got was that it's to do
with the fact that the Vic line is completely underground and so the
trains don't have any fresh air to cool off in except when they go to
the depot.

It's really noticable at Highbury & Islington where the FCC platforms
are like a fridge in comparison

You completely underground ( with a tunnel to the surface depot at
Northumberland park).
--
martyn dawe

Boltar January 31st 07 08:39 AM

On Jan 30, 10:30 pm, Stuart wrote:
Boltar wrote:
I've noticed the victoria line seems to be much warmer than the other
lines these days (or maybe it always has been but I've not noticed).
Is this because the trains are more frequent , or they use up more
energy on ATO , or the tunnel ventilation isn't so good , or is there
some other reason?

Always has been hotter (well as long as i've been travelling on it).

I've asked this before on here, the answer i got was that it's to do
with the fact that the Vic line is completely underground and so the
trains don't have any fresh air to cool off in except when they go to
the depot.

I'm not convinced its because its completely underground. After all
the northern line is underground all the way from mordon to east
finchley and golders green. Quite long enough for the tunnels to build
up huge amounts of heat but its not as hot as the victoria line ,
which does have the surface exit to the depot near seven sisters
anyway.

B2003

Boltar January 31st 07 08:40 AM

Why is the Victoria line so hot these days?

On Jan 30, 8:28 pm, "Andy" wrote:
"Boltar" wrote in message

ups.com...

I've noticed the victoria line seems to be much warmer than the other
lines these days (or maybe it always has been but I've not noticed).
Is this because the trains are more frequent , or they use up more
energy on ATO , or the tunnel ventilation isn't so good , or is there
some other reason?

B2003

The CCO (Coasting Control Override) trial might have some effect.

Whats this then?

B2003