Old February 5th 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default HELP!! tfl fines

ok wonder if anyone can help this one....

Was on a (bendy) bus home had forgotten my wallet with my weekly
(unregistered) oyster travel card in it and got done by the police. So
annoying. But i gave him my address etc and told him I couldnt find my
wallet and must have left it at home with the oyster card in it. he said
that's fine and to just send in a photocopy to prove it once i find it.
Turns out I hadnt forgotten my wallet it had been nabbed/lost.
Having now been chucked off the bus with no other way to get home I bought a

new travel card with a cheque as the one in my wallet ran out ran out the
following day and i wasnt about to risk getting caught, again.

So now I have no evidence of the old oyster card so will get fined. Or i
could send in the one i bought on that day but does it show the time when i

bought it (i.e. later than when i got caught)? will the inspector even have

recorded the time when he caught me? he didnt issue me a ticket just gave me

a card and told me to send evidence of my oyster card in to that address.

Only asking as i dont really think its fair i have to pay a fine when i had

not one, but 2 travel cards for that day! although it was my fault for not
having my wallet on me. but dont really know if its worth sending in the new

one i bought just afterwards incase they notice the time bought it and time

i got fined are different and then im suddenly in deep water!

ok hope you can help an impoverished student!

Ellie x

Old February 5th 07, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 5, 6:03 pm, "Ellie wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear of your triple bad luck although you committed an
offence as soon as you boarded the bus without first making certain
you had a valid ticket or valid Oyster. But I'll admit I did the same
recently when I thought my Oyster (with travelcard) was in my coat
pocket and it wasn't.

I think your only hope is to report the lost or stolen wallet & Oyster
to the Police and hope they believe you. In fact it is essential that
you do this as soon as possible otherwise they might think you
deliberately made a false statement about leaving it at home.

Best of luck.

Old February 5th 07, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 5, 6:22 pm, "umpston" wrote:
On Feb 5, 6:03 pm, "Ellie wrote:

[...]

Yes, don't on any account try to offer the later travelcard. The only
thing you can do is be honest. To get a fine, there would have to be
a prosecution, which is probably unlikely if you are clearly honest
the whole time, report the theft and so on.

Perversely, if it's accepted that you weren't trying to evade the
fare, technically you would then become liable for a penalty fare, but
again I think that's unlikely, given that the moment has passed.

I don't think getting on the bus was actually an offence, just made
you liable to the PF.

How and where did you buy the unregistered Oyster card? If you did it
with a debit card there might be a record of it that could prove that
it had a travelcard on it and so on.

Old February 5th 07, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

I don't think getting on the bus was actually an offence, just made
you liable to the PF.

I believe that there is strict liability for not paying the fare on a
bus. That means no criminal intent is necessary. An earlier post on
uk.legal from someone who was prosecuted by TfL claimed that the
prosecution was "Contrary to Regulation 7(2)(b)(ii)
of the Public Services Vehicles (conduct of Drivers, Inspectors,
Conductors & Passengers) Regulations 1990 SI No. 1020 and contrary to
Section 25(3) of the Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981."

The relevant regulation and statute are below:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1990/Uksi_19901020_en_2.htm
http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...xtDocId=444937
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 9th 07, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1990/Uks...xtDocId=444937
--
Michael Hoffman

Just a thought, the travelcard that's on the lost oyster card.
Was it paid cash or plastic/cheque?
If it was the latter, you'd have a bank statement with a payment to
tfl that you could produce

Mark

Old February 9th 07, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1990/Uks...http://www.sta...
--
Michael Hoffman

Just a thought, the travelcard that's on the lost oyster card.
Was it paid cash or plastic/cheque?
If it was the latter, you'd have a bank statement with a payment to
tfl that you could produce

Mark-

That was what I was saying. There also ought to be a record of the ID
of the Oyster card that was bought and whether it had a travelcard on
it.

£20m in 'wrong fines' repaid as Oyster proves a touchy subject CJB London Transport 0 June 20th 11 05:41 PM
Lordship Lane N17 (and N22) - £3M in fines in one year! Earl Purple London Transport 14 November 1st 06 10:45 AM
Fines from IPFAS BBK London Transport 15 May 14th 06 04:55 PM
TFL cancelled my Student Oyster Card. Help! Joseph London Transport 2 March 10th 06 09:19 PM
Oyster cards and Help unable to help ITMA London Transport 6 November 5th 04 11:19 AM