London Banter

-   -   Trolleybuses for London! (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4992-trolleybuses-london.html)

[email protected] February 18th 07 09:32 AM

Trolleybuses for London!

1) Good resources on the environmental advantages of electric buses
with many working examples from around the world:-

http://citytransport.info/Electbus.htm

2) A modern trolley bus (coach) at work in Rome, demonstrating 'off-
the-wire' operation:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSxTniqh_EQ

3) Link to an online petition:-

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Trolleybuses/

sweek February 18th 07 10:56 AM

Trolleybuses for London!

I think they're simply too ugly, and would hate to see so many wires
in London. I know that this is obviously true for trams, too, unless
we go for the still buggy system that Bordeaux has at the moment. But
at least the vehicles look a lot nicer then, and trams have a higher
"status" compared to buses.

[email protected] February 18th 07 11:37 AM

Trolleybuses for London!

On 18 Feb, 11:56, "sweek" wrote:
I think they're simply too ugly, and would hate to see so many wires
in London. I know that this is obviously true for trams, too, unless
we go for the still buggy system that Bordeaux has at the moment. But
at least the vehicles look a lot nicer then, and trams have a higher
"status" compared to buses.

Well, I have to admit that when the old London trolleybuses went along
the Edgware Rd, I found the Routemaster much sexier.
But that was about the time the Beatles arrived!

I still think the RM was vastly superior to what has replaced it and
miss them.
However, looking at the environmental arguments, I am convinced that
these newer designs offer a solution to CO2, diesel pollution and
noise

Furthermore, unlike the Fuel Cell Buses being tested in London, they
are a working solution, tested in many urban environments.
So I'm convinced.

Have a close look at the arguments on the links above.

stevo February 18th 07 06:41 PM

Trolleybuses for London!

sweek wrote:
I think they're simply too ugly, and would hate to see so many wires
in London. I know that this is obviously true for trams, too, unless
we go for the still buggy system that Bordeaux has at the moment. But
at least the vehicles look a lot nicer then, and trams have a higher
"status" compared to buses.

London would be foolish to go for trolley busses as hydrogen power will
be round soon(ish)

Marc Brett February 18th 07 07:06 PM

Trolleybuses for London!

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:41:22 +0000, stevo wrote:

London would be foolish to go for trolley busses as hydrogen power will
be round soon(ish)

Hydrogen "power" is a fraud, the sooner abandoned the better.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/archive/15/zubrin.htm

David Jackman February 18th 07 08:28 PM

Trolleybuses for London!

Marc Brett wrote in
:

Hydrogen "power" is a fraud, the sooner abandoned the better.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/archive/15/zubrin.htm

Thanks for that link, I had been wondering where all this Hydrogen was
going to come from!

KOS February 18th 07 10:28 PM

Trolleybuses for London!

If we have to have some form of electric transport Trolley Buses seem a far
more attractive, cheaper and flexible option than trams.
Why is Ken so keen on trams rather than Trolley Buses?

ups.com...

sweek February 19th 07 08:46 AM

Trolleybuses for London!

How are they more attractive? Definitely not more attractive-looking,
and a tram has a higher capacity, unless they come up with a way of
letting double deckers under them. Trams also simply attract more
people since buses have a more negative and slower image.

Ken February 19th 07 09:40 AM

Trolleybuses for London!

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:06:31 +0000, Marc Brett
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:41:22 +0000, stevo wrote:

London would be foolish to go for trolley busses as hydrogen power will
be round soon(ish)

Hydrogen "power" is a fraud, the sooner abandoned the better.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/archive/15/zubrin.htm

Much of this confirms what I'd suspected. But what about the points
made about fuel cells? Surely the current trials in London and
elsewhere of buses using this technology have been less expensive and
more reliable that this author would have you believe is possible?

[email protected] February 19th 07 09:57 AM

Trolleybuses for London!

KOS wrote:
If we have to have some form of electric transport Trolley Buses seem a far
more attractive, cheaper and flexible option than trams.
Why is Ken so keen on trams rather than Trolley Buses?

Capacity. Switching from diesel to electric buses has no effect on
capacity, whereas trams can carry far more people along the same
route.