Old February 23rd 07, 02:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Waltham Cross

I had always assumed that the land just northeast of the M25 J25 was green
belt, but there seems to be something big being built there.

Befo

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...kf_Destination

After:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&z=...09978&t=k&om=1

Has New Labour finally lived up to Prescott's promise... "The green belt is
one of Labour's finest achievements and we intend to build on it."?

Old February 23rd 07, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:14:16 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

I had always assumed that the land just northeast of the M25 J25 was green
belt, but there seems to be something big being built there.

Befo

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...kf_Destination

After:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&z=...09978&t=k&om=1

Has New Labour finally lived up to Prescott's promise... "The green belt is
one of Labour's finest achievements and we intend to build on it."?

Drove past last week - it looks like another big distribution depot
and a new Travelodge.

Old February 23rd 07, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 23, 3:14 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I had always assumed that the land just northeast of the M25 J25 was green
belt, but there seems to be something big being built there.

Befo

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...44788&style=a&...

After:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&z=...045168&spn=0.0...

Has New Labour finally lived up to Prescott's promise... "The green belt is
one of Labour's finest achievements and we intend to build on it."?

It is News International's new printing and production plant for all
of their titles. They are moving lock, stock and barrel from Wapping.

A similar facility is being built close to Manchester to serve the
North.

Old February 23rd 07, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I had always assumed that the land just northeast of the M25 J25 was green
belt, but there seems to be something big being built there.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&z=...09978&t=k&om=1

Drove past last week - it looks like another big distribution depot

No sign of it being rail-connected on the photo. Boo!

Not that the West Anglia is an enormously useful line to be connected to;
i don't think there's an easy way to get there from either the north or
the east of the country.

tom

--
information distribution, vox humana, deviation, handle, feed, l.g. **
Old February 23rd 07, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 23, 12:47 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

No sign of it being rail-connected on the photo. Boo!

Not that the West Anglia is an enormously useful line to be connected to;
i don't think there's an easy way to get there from either the north or
the east of the country.

Not to mention that they deliver to every newsagents in the country -
not really something that rail is suited to. Especially if Manchester
serves the north.

Old February 23rd 07, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I had always assumed that the land just northeast of the M25 J25 was green
belt, but there seems to be something big being built there.

Befo

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...kf_Destination

After:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&z=...09978&t=k&om=1

Has New Labour finally lived up to Prescott's promise... "The green belt is
one of Labour's finest achievements and we intend to build on it."?

Drove past last week - it looks like another big distribution depot
and a new Travelodge.

It's the new printing plant for News International. I drive past it
every day... I'm suprised a Travelodge is upmarket enough for their
visitors...

I was looking at it from Gilwell Park last Sunday, it truly is vast.

(And yes, it is greenbelt. But it once was put forward as a huge
shopping mall, and also as a site for travellers - and what Murdoch
wants, Murdoch gets - as a rule).

--
Steve
Old February 24th 07, 01:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

steve wrote:

It's the new printing plant for News International. I drive past it
every day... I'm suprised a Travelodge is upmarket enough for their
visitors...

I believe the The Travelodge is on the former Little Chef site, and is
presumably an unrelated project.

I was looking at it from Gilwell Park last Sunday, it truly is vast.

(And yes, it is greenbelt. But it once was put forward as a huge
shopping mall, and also as a site for travellers - and what Murdoch
wants, Murdoch gets - as a rule).

How can they do that? If the green belt can be built on, in what sense does
it exist at all?

Old February 24th 07, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
steve wrote:
It's the new printing plant for News International. I drive past it
every day... I'm suprised a Travelodge is upmarket enough for their
visitors...

I believe the The Travelodge is on the former Little Chef site, and is
presumably an unrelated project.

Actually, the site entrance goes through the old Little Chef site, the
Travelodge is about 60 metres north of that.

I was looking at it from Gilwell Park last Sunday, it truly is vast.

(And yes, it is greenbelt. But it once was put forward as a huge
shopping mall, and also as a site for travellers - and what Murdoch
wants, Murdoch gets - as a rule).

How can they do that? If the green belt can be built on, in what sense does
it exist at all?

As something that can be overridden by the government if they want...