Old February 24th 07, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Third platform to be built at Mudchute DLR?

This evening I spotted a planning application on a lamp post by
Mudchute DLR southbound exit for a third platform to be built there as
well as the demolition of the emergency exit on the northbound
platform and the construction of additional canopies.

When I first read the word "third" I though it must be referring to
the platform extensions for the third carriage but it definitely
referred to the construction of a third platform.

It's long been a source of frustration to me that passengers can't
board or alight from trains in the Mudchute sidings as it would have
been so easy to construct a platform there when the station was
rebuilt for the Lewisham extension. I often have to let a train or two
go in the morning peak and it would be a relief if the occasional
'rescue' train came along to help!

Currently, the vast majority of trains terminating at Crossharbour use
the reversing track there so I wonder if DLR are maybe planning to
terminate evening off peak trains from Stratford at Mudchute instead
of Crossharbour. This would be fantastic if it can be achieved as
Mudchute is a heavily used station and we would then get a 5 minute
frequency all day as well as speeding up the journey to Stratford in
the evenings.

Does anyone know any more about this?

Old February 24th 07, 07:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Mudchute writes

Currently, the vast majority of trains terminating at Crossharbour use
the reversing track there so I wonder if DLR are maybe planning to
terminate evening off peak trains from Stratford at Mudchute instead
of Crossharbour.

DLR were certainly considering bringing the Mudchute siding into use for
passenger service a few years ago, but I've not seen anything before
this to suggest that the plan is going ahead.
--
Paul Terry
Old February 24th 07, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 24, 8:42 am, Paul Terry wrote:
In message . com,
Mudchute writes

Currently, the vast majority of trains terminating at Crossharbour use
the reversing track there so I wonder if DLR are maybe planning to
terminate evening off peak trains from Stratford at Mudchute instead
of Crossharbour.

DLR were certainly considering bringing the Mudchute siding into use for
passenger service a few years ago, but I've not seen anything before
this to suggest that the plan is going ahead.
--
Paul Terry

In fact I can now answer my own question as I've looked up the very
detailed planning application on the Tower Hamlets website
(Application No: PA/07/00072).

The proposal is that a third platform be built as part of the works
required for three carriage working. It will as I expected be an
island platform on the northbound side of the station and its main
justification is to relieve overcrowding in the morning peak. The
proposal says that at most there would be 5 terminating trains in the
peaks and 6 off peak (up to 0100).

Excellent news in my opinion!