Old March 7th 07, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras station

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message

And then there is the reworking of King's Cross mainline to come,
especially sweeping away the "temporary" concourse.

Are they going to achieve the miracle of Liverpool Street of
converting a station with all-over step free access to one full of
stairs and escalators too? Anyone seen any consultations on plans?

From what I've gleaned elsewhere, acess from the new northern
ticket hall will be via a footbridge across the middle of the
platforms, but the south end access will also be retained.

There's a summary sheet here Colin:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documen...ossLeaflet.pdf

No mention of cycles. I've sent them feedback via their web form (no
address on the leaflet). Searching the web site doesn't even find that
leaflet!

You can find LOTs of useful information on the Camden Council website at:

http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/environment/
planning-and-built-environment/major-developments/king-s-cross/

Some Councils seem to get lots of useful info on their websites, unlike
some I could name. Perhaps their Councillors spend too much time away
from their elected domain (;-)

Jim Chisholm

Old March 7th 07, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

J. Chisholm wrote:

You can find LOTs of useful information on the Camden Council website at:

http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/environment/
planning-and-built-environment/major-developments/king-s-cross/

Jim Chisholm

Just noticed that closure date for 'comments' was 7 Feb, so perhaps
we'll see a 'result' shortly?

Jim

Old March 7th 07, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrea wrote:
The current long route from the underground to platform level at St
Pancras station is a joke! Are there no plans to have a direct
underground passage to the station, that avoids an outside walk
braving the elements? There also seems to be an exit from the station
onto Midland Road, but this is closed - are there no plans to open it?

The current situation at St Pancras/ Kings in regards to the six
stations are as follows.
MMl is now in its final location on the west side outside the Barlow Shed.
CTRL (HS1) is in process of final tracking gauging and electrification
check, and signal testing.
Kent services as CTRL.
Kings Cross GNER/FCC plans submitted to Camden for approval of redesign
of station front and west side, with removal of unauthorised front
structure departure area, proposed completion 2015.
Thameslink 2000, fitting out of new station on westside of St Pancras
underground. Concurrent completion of Northern ticket Hall by September
2007 but like early 2008.
LUL, phase one and two completed, the new south ticketing area step free
access to Metropolitan, Circle and H&C lines completed. In progress
tunnelling and fitting new pedestrian subways to enable two independent
routes of access to all areas - this I am informed will need to be
completed before there is licence to operate CTRL and Thameslink new
station. All platforms with the complex to be step free access. I think
there are six new lift installations to be installed for this purpose.
The Pentonville access route will be lost and closed for access when the
other work is completed, but an emergency de training facility will be
maintained for both LUL and Thameslink into Pentonville Road direct.

Hope this update helps
Old March 7th 07, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Andrea" wrote in message
oups.com...
The current long route from the underground to platform level at St
Pancras station is a joke! Are there no plans to have a direct
underground passage to the station, that avoids an outside walk
braving the elements? There also seems to be an exit from the station
onto Midland Road, but this is closed - are there no plans to open it?

Yeah! How dare they open the station early to make your life easier, then
not open it all up ahead of schedule so you don't get confused as to what's
open now and what will be open later! Fascists!!!

Old March 7th 07, 02:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 7, 12:42 pm, chr1s wrote:
The Pentonville access route will be lost and closed for access when the
other work is completed, but an emergency de training facility will be
maintained for both LUL and Thameslink into Pentonville Road direct.

That's a pity. Presumably there'll at least be safeguards to ensure
the Pentonville Road emergency exit from the deep lines isn't locked
OOU in event of an emergency (as in 1987)...?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 7th 07, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (J.
Chisholm) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message

And then there is the reworking of King's Cross mainline to
come, especially sweeping away the "temporary" concourse.

Are they going to achieve the miracle of Liverpool Street of
converting a station with all-over step free access to one full
of stairs and escalators too? Anyone seen any consultations on
plans?
From what I've gleaned elsewhere, acess from the new northern
ticket hall will be via a footbridge across the middle of the
platforms, but the south end access will also be retained.

There's a summary sheet here Colin:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documen...ossLeaflet.pdf

No mention of cycles. I've sent them feedback via their web form
(no address on the leaflet). Searching the web site doesn't even find

that leaflet!

You can find LOTs of useful information on the Camden Council
website at:

http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/environment/
planning-and-built-environment/major-developments/king-s-cross/

Some Councils seem to get lots of useful info on their websites,
unlike some I could name. Perhaps their Councillors spend too much
time away from their elected domain (;-)

Ho. ho. My constituents take bikes on trains to London too!

How the hell is one supposed to find the impact on cycle access to and
from the station from this mass of documents? It hardly helps for
starters that the drawing PDFs won't open on this PC.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 7th 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 7, 3:16 pm, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
All platforms with the complex to be step
free access. I think there are six new lift installations to be
installed for this purpose.

This is one meaning of "step free". Accessible by bicycle it isn't. Not
an LUL issue I accept, but relevant to the Thameslink Midland Road box.

I'm confused: since when have bikes been banned from lifts on NR?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org