Old March 6th 07, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras station

The current long route from the underground to platform level at St
Pancras station is a joke! Are there no plans to have a direct
underground passage to the station, that avoids an outside walk
braving the elements? There also seems to be an exit from the station
onto Midland Road, but this is closed - are there no plans to open it?

Old March 6th 07, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In oups.com,
Andrea typed:
The current long route from the underground to platform level at St
Pancras station is a joke! Are there no plans to have a direct
underground passage to the station, that avoids an outside walk
braving the elements? There also seems to be an exit from the station
onto Midland Road, but this is closed - are there no plans to open it?

Both will be opening later this year.

--
Bob

Old March 6th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 6, 1:46 pm, "Bob Wood" wrote:
The current long route from the underground to platform level at St
Pancras station is a joke! Are there no plans to have a direct
underground passage to the station, that avoids an outside walk
braving the elements? There also seems to be an exit from the station
onto Midland Road, but this is closed - are there no plans to open it?

Both will be opening later this year.

Indeed - and another side entrance to the new Underground ticket hall
between St P and KX will open in c2009.

I wonder if the OP has noticed that St Pancras and Midland Road both
have something of an unfinished/building site ambience at present...?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 6th 07, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, John B wrote:

On Mar 6, 1:46 pm, "Bob Wood" wrote:

The current long route from the underground to platform level at St
Pancras station is a joke!

I wonder if the OP has noticed that St Pancras and Midland Road both
have something of an unfinished/building site ambience at present...?

Speaking of which, answers on a postcard:

http://flickr.com/photos/twic/411990029/

tom

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Old March 6th 07, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
.li...
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, John B wrote:

On Mar 6, 1:46 pm, "Bob Wood" wrote:

The current long route from the underground to platform level at St
Pancras station is a joke!

I wonder if the OP has noticed that St Pancras and Midland Road both
have something of an unfinished/building site ambience at present...?

Speaking of which, answers on a postcard:

http://flickr.com/photos/twic/411990029/

tom

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

Is that the on the walk way to St Pancras station? I remember when it used
to be all underground the walk and you used to come out by a pub. I forget
what the pub was called.

Old March 6th 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Mar 2007 05:21:12 -0800, "Andrea" wrote:

The current long route from the underground to platform level at St
Pancras station is a joke! Are there no plans to have a direct
underground passage to the station, that avoids an outside walk
braving the elements? There also seems to be an exit from the station
onto Midland Road, but this is closed - are there no plans to open it?

You have undoubtedly noticed that St Pancras has been totally
reconstructed to accommodate Eurostar, provide a new Midland Mainline
station and also a new Thameslink station. The tube station is in the
process of being rebuilt and a new Northern Ticket Hall is being built
between St Pancras and Kings Cross.

This is a massive project and there is obviously some inconvenience
while something on this scale is undertaken. I agree the walk to St
Pancras is not perfect at present but the end result will be worth it.
You will see more of the new links later this year when Eurostar opens
for business but there is about another 3 years work to construct the
new Northern ticket hall for LU and Thameslink access and a new surface
building to link together KX and St Pancras.

http://www.lcrhq.co.uk/

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/company/p...ewsletters.asp

has lots of info about work done and the next steps.
--
Paul C

Old March 6th 07, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, John B wrote:

On Mar 6, 1:46 pm, "Bob Wood" wrote:

The current long route from the underground to platform level
at St Pancras station is a joke!

I wonder if the OP has noticed that St Pancras and Midland Road
both have something of an unfinished/building site ambience at
present...?

Speaking of which, answers on a postcard:

http://flickr.com/photos/twic/411990029/

Is that the on the walk way to St Pancras station? I remember when
it used to be all underground the walk and you used to come out by
a pub. I forget what the pub was called.

It's in St Pancras Road. I cycle along it past the sign after arriving at
King's Cross platforms 9-11. I'd like to know what it means too. I seem
to remember it's the wrong side of the Great Northern Hotel for the
Northern Ticket Hall works.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 6th 07, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message

Speaking of which, answers on a postcard:

http://flickr.com/photos/twic/411990029/

Is that the on the walk way to St Pancras station? I remember when
it used to be all underground the walk and you used to come out by
a pub. I forget what the pub was called.

It's in St Pancras Road. I cycle along it past the sign after arriving at
King's Cross platforms 9-11. I'd like to know what it means too. I seem
to remember it's the wrong side of the Great Northern Hotel for the
Northern Ticket Hall works.

Are you referring to 'Blue Egg'? - I thinks its the nickname for the
Underground ventilation and access shaft, the stainless steel clad
'building' in the shot, which is illuminated blue at night, and is egg
shaped in plan.

Paul

Old March 6th 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message

Speaking of which, answers on a postcard:

http://flickr.com/photos/twic/411990029/

Is that the on the walk way to St Pancras station? I remember when
it used to be all underground the walk and you used to come out by
a pub. I forget what the pub was called.

It's in St Pancras Road. I cycle along it past the sign after arriving at
King's Cross platforms 9-11. I'd like to know what it means too. I seem
to remember it's the wrong side of the Great Northern Hotel for the
Northern Ticket Hall works.

Are you referring to 'Blue Egg'? - I thinks its the nickname for the
Underground ventilation and access shaft, the stainless steel clad
'building' in the shot, which is illuminated blue at night, and is egg
shaped in plan.

Paul

PS if anyone is registered with Flickr, perhaps they could let the
Photographer know...

Paul

Old March 6th 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Mar 2007 07:56:04 -0800, "John B" wrote:

On Mar 6, 1:46 pm, "Bob Wood" wrote:
The current long route from the underground to platform level at St
Pancras station is a joke! Are there no plans to have a direct
underground passage to the station, that avoids an outside walk
braving the elements? There also seems to be an exit from the station
onto Midland Road, but this is closed - are there no plans to open it?

Both will be opening later this year.

Indeed - and another side entrance to the new Underground ticket hall
between St P and KX will open in c2009.

I wonder if the OP has noticed that St Pancras and Midland Road both
have something of an unfinished/building site ambience at present...?

What nobody is admitting is that work on the new (Northern) Undrground
ticket hall was suspended for two years, thus messing up the timescale
and leaving MML (and FCC/Thameslink) passengers with the present trek
to the tube for two more years after St P is supposedly completed.
The hall will of course be opened in time for the domestic CTRL
services.
--
Peter Lawrence