Old March 8th 07, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras station

"John B" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 8, 11:33 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
It always surprises me how they seem to be working in near darkness
whenever
I've passed through, has anyone else noticed this?

I thought there was a shield up between the building site and the
tracks (presumably at platform edge)...?

I guess a fine mesh netting would appear to reduce light levels reaching the
tracks, could that be it?

Paul

Old March 8th 07, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
.li...

You have undoubtedly noticed that St Pancras has been totally
reconstructed to accommodate Eurostar, provide a new Midland
Mainline station and also a new Thameslink station.

Ahem. A *box* for a new Thameslink station.

which is currently being fitted out, though?

True. Somehow, it had escaped my notice that things were actually going
ahead there now. Sorry!

It always surprises me how they seem to be working in near darkness
whenever I've passed through, has anyone else noticed this?

They've hired troglodyte workmen to cut costs?

tom

--
shouting drunkenly about 6502 assembler at parties
Old March 8th 07, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 8, 3:48 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

They've hired troglodyte workmen to cut costs?

You mean there are other sorts?

[note: no offence intended to worthy and upstanding members of the
construction community]

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 8th 07, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:
On Mar 8, 8:48 am, chr1s wrote:
The arrangement for Thameslink and LUL at the Pentonville site will be
the same, certainly one exit isolated from the main complex direct to
Pentonville Road, with maybe an alternate to St Mungos passage area onto
greys Inn Road.

So you're saying the emergency route from the Victoria and Piccadilly
lines to the Pentonville site will be preserved?

Another question about this is that it is isolated from the main
complex. and to comply with the KX enquiry recommendations about the
relief passage from the main complex in use now being blocked and
locked, I was given to understand that it is isolated and will be locked
from the main complex when all is completed,

What's the relief passage you're referring to here? The only physical
link I'm aware of between the KXSP complex and the Pentonville site is
the route from the Victoria and Piccadilly lines - and the KX enquiry
recommended this should be open at all time (and certainly not blocked
and locked). Is there a second route between Thameslink and KX...?

and that from any spot in
the main complex there will be at least two independent routes out of
the station to the streets

....so the Vic and Pic passage *will* remain open?

The passageway that is in current use to thameslink will not be used.
There are a number of new tunnels for passengers which do not intersect
with the current infrastructure and the lift system from plateform
levels to ticket hall levels.
The current thameslink area will not be available except for de training
of thameslink and Crcle/H&C/metropolatan trains in both directions to
either Pentonville or Greys Inn Road. as
The design and and construction has had the recommendations of the
enquiry in the forefront, and with quite different pedestrian traffic
flows and congestion when the all parts are operational, the prediction
it will be about 70% full at the busiest time. with a 20% growth on
current usage of CTRL figures out of Waterloo, and the transfer of
traffic from Thameslink and FCC services up the WCML and Hertford loop.

I hope you mean "ECML" here. But I'm now even more confused: the plan
for TL2K+n is:

* FCC ECML long-distance services will move from KX Suburban to SPTL
* Hertford loop services and other FCC locals will continue to
terminate at Moorgate on weekdays (I'm not sure a decision has been
made on whether to keep them in KX Suburban at weekends or to run them
full-time to Moorgate)
* FCC MML services will carry on pretty much as now (but longer, and
from SPTL instead of KXTL)

Presumably this has been the basis for the pedestrian modelling...?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 8th 07, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

chr1s wrote:
MMl is now in its final location on the west side outside the Barlow Shed.
CTRL (HS1) is in process of final tracking gauging and electrification
check, and signal testing.

STP played host to a Eurostar train for the first time this week, so it
seems like the final months are going by quite nicely.
Kent services as CTRL.

Kent services will not operate until December 2009, by which time the
new fleet of Javelins should be ready. As it stands, the first Javelin
is currently being built in Japan (I think) and will reach UK soil in
August.
Kings Cross GNER/FCC plans submitted to Camden for approval of redesign
of station front and west side, with removal of unauthorised front
structure departure area, proposed completion 2015.

When did they push the date back? I thought they were aiming to finish
Kings Cross months before the Olympics in 2012.
Thameslink 2000, fitting out of new station on westside of St Pancras
underground.

This is generally true, although funding for the fit-out is actually
coming out of the CTRL pot. Thameslink 2000 itself has not received
funding approval yet, although a final decision on this is apparently
due sometime this summer when the HLOS and SoFA are due to be
published. Even then the project will take about 8 years of implement.
Concurrent completion of Northern ticket Hall by September
2007 but like early 2008.

As others have already stated, the NTH won't be available until late 2009.
LUL, phase one and two completed,

Phase 2 is ongoing - see comment above.
the new south ticketing area step free
access to Metropolitan, Circle and H&C lines completed.

As of 8 October 2006 this has been the case with the Western Ticket Hall.
In progress tunnelling and fitting new pedestrian subways to enable
two independent routes of access to all areas - this I am informed
will need to be completed before there is licence to operate CTRL and
Thameslink new station.

Please elaborate further. Speaking of tunneling, alwaystouchout.com
claims that a direct link will be built between the WTH and the new
Thameslink station under St Pancras. If Dave Arquati is reading this,
I'd also like him to confirm if there will be a direct (presumably
ticketless) link, seeing as I've never seen other websites mention this,
or seen any evidence from the WTH itself.
All platforms with the complex to be step free access. I think
there are six new lift installations to be installed for this purpose.

In spite of this, MIPs who interchange between deep-level and
sub-surface lines at KXSP will still have to go through two sets of
gates, unless they risk the escalators and steps between the Tube and
Western Ticket Halls.
The Pentonville access route will be lost and closed for access when the
other work is completed, but an emergency de training facility will be
maintained for both LUL and Thameslink into Pentonville Road direct.

That's a shame - in order for the Pentonville site to serve LUL
passengers as an entrance/exit facility after the closure of KCM, money
is required, and apparently LUL would require such funds from the DfT as
they don't have enough funds for this conversion themselves.
Old March 8th 07, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

d wrote:
"Andrea" wrote in message
oups.com...
The current long route from the underground to platform level at St
Pancras station is a joke! Are there no plans to have a direct
underground passage to the station, that avoids an outside walk
braving the elements? There also seems to be an exit from the station
onto Midland Road, but this is closed - are there no plans to open it?

Yeah! How dare they open the station early to make your life easier, then
not open it all up ahead of schedule so you don't get confused as to what's
open now and what will be open later! Fascists!!!

If you enter the new ticket hall access from in front of St Pancras
Station and turn to the left and then right, before descending the steps
on you right, you will see façades facing you which will be removed when
the under croft area for HS1 is completed, this give access to all areas
of the under croft stretching right to the area below where the present
entrance is for MML.
Old March 9th 07, 12:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

It always surprises me how they seem to be working in near darkness
whenever I've passed through, has anyone else noticed this?

They've hired troglodyte workmen to cut costs?

I've heard of Murphy's and McNicholas, but Trogal O'Dyte's is a new one on
me.

Old March 9th 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"chr1s" wrote in message
d wrote:
[...]

I thought I'd repost the link to the undercroft drawing, from last November.
You can see the 4 openings marked at the far left of the main 'arcade'
through the undercroft. Note the shopping facilities - they really are
trying to make it more like an airport...

http://www.stpancras.com/UploadDocs/....v9outline.pdf

Paul

Old March 9th 07, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

I thought I'd repost the link to the undercroft drawing, from last November.
You can see the 4 openings marked at the far left of the main 'arcade'
through the undercroft. Note the shopping facilities - they really are
trying to make it more like an airport...

And why not?
The current shops underneath the Eurostar platforms at Waterloo are very
welcome - you can get yourself a coffee or a magazine for the journey.
I'm not sure about a shirt - though the shops obviously have a market.

At the Brussels end there is a parade of sparkly new shops now (OK, new
since last year)