Old March 9th 07, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Photography underground

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On 9 Mar 2007 10:50:37 -0800, "alex_t"
wrote:

Are there any specific instructions for photographers on the
Underground? I was standing at the Baker Street station (Metropolitan
line platform) and tried to make photo of the local junction (at the
moment when train was passing it) - I was approached by two policemen
and told to stop photography and delete existing photos (they even
checked that the photos were deleted) as no photography allowed on the
Underground anymore due to the threat of the terrorism.

Is it true?

No it is not true. There would be posters and announcements to advise
people if it was. The only posters and announcements relate to not using
flash photography due to the blinding effect it can have on drivers.

I sometimes cover for my boss at security meetings and a ban on
photography has never been mentioned at all.

The police also have no right whatsoever to demand that you delete
photographs from your camera. I despair of this sort of thing. Were they
"real" police or "plastic" community support officers? I've had a run
in with the latter at Victoria Bus Station and ended up advising them
that they call Tim O'Toole to verify that I was a senior manager at LU.
At that point they gave up hassling me.

The main issue is to check with the station supervisor so they know you
are there and can provide any requisite local knowledge.

I recently took some photos on the Tyne and Wear Metro and I had to sign
an indemnity waiver and advise where I would be on the system. Now I
personally think that is completely over the top but nonetheless I
complied with the "rules" even though they were NOT on the Nexus
website. It took about three e-mails in the space of a few hours and
everything was sorted. I had no problems on the day and no one batted an
eyelid or said anything.

Here is the official legal position

Click on the like to the pdf file via UK Photographers Rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor... ited_Kingdom

P.S. I was standing in the location permitted for the passengers and
photos without flash. Even more, I shot more then 10 stations during
the week, and this is the first incident of the kind (even though in
many locations I stood right next to station staff).

Baker St is a HQ building so I can perhaps understand a slightly more
"intense" view as to photography but even so. Security is important but
it is not there to create needless restrictions or paranoia or else the
terrorists have won IMO.

Paul, I've just posted a quote from the 'ask tube' part of the website,
which differentiates between private and commercial photography, and I think
the problem is that its only the rules for commercial photography that
anyone normally finds. I should have thought the answer was a fairly
straightforward amendment to the page linked to from the 'arts' section.

Paul S

Old March 9th 07, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:38:37 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Are there any specific instructions for photographers on the
Underground? I was standing at the Baker Street station (Metropolitan
line platform) and tried to make photo of the local junction (at the
moment when train was passing it) - I was approached by two policemen
and told to stop photography and delete existing photos (they even
checked that the photos were deleted) as no photography allowed on the
Underground anymore due to the threat of the terrorism.

[snip]

Paul, I've just posted a quote from the 'ask tube' part of the website,
which differentiates between private and commercial photography, and I think
the problem is that its only the rules for commercial photography that
anyone normally finds. I should have thought the answer was a fairly
straightforward amendment to the page linked to from the 'arts' section.

Sure - all this makes the action of the "police" even more bizarre and
incorrect. If I was the OP I would make a complaint given that he was
doing nothing wrong *at all* and that the police were acting outside of
their authority. This sort of crap makes me very cross and it does
nothing to build proper and effective relationships between LU and
people who have a genuine interest in the system and its workings. We
should not be alienating people who are naturally inclined to be
supporters of the business.

--
Paul C

Old March 9th 07, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:06:46 +0000, Ian Jelf wrote:

I found the quote:

"It's not all underground either. Apart from the Circle line, all other
lines thread their way through the City and go above ground into the
countryside."

Where, pray, are the Victoria Line and Waterloo & City "go above ground
into the countryside"?!

The Vic (along with several others) doesn't go through the City,
either.
Old March 9th 07, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ed_photographs...

P.S. I was standing in the location permitted for the passengers and
photos without flash. Even more, I shot more then 10 stations during
the week, and this is the first incident of the kind (even though in
many locations I stood right next to station staff).

Baker St is a HQ building so I can perhaps understand a slightly more
"intense" view as to photography but even so. Security is important but
it is not there to create needless restrictions or paranoia or else the
terrorists have won IMO.

--
Paul C

At this same station the other day there was a woman dressed head to
toe in a black bin liner having her photo taken. They had signed in.
But as hey kept ignoring the requests to stop taking photos, they were
asked to leave!

I use the same entrance to the Divisional HeadQuarters as the BTP, but
have never been challenged by the despite wearing a hood!

All I can say is that if your taking photos and it is important to
you, just let the Supervisor know when you get there as it will reduce
any problems that might then arise, beit from station staff or the BTP
(Beers, Teas & Pies).

Happy Snapping!

Old March 9th 07, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Mar 2007 13:50:33 -0800, "chunky munky"
wrote:

the BTP
(Beers, Teas & Pies).

Well that's a new one on me!
--
Paul C

Old March 10th 07, 01:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In news asdf typed:

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:06:46 +0000, Ian Jelf wrote:

I found the quote:

"It's not all underground either. Apart from the Circle line, all
other lines thread their way through the City and go above ground
into the countryside."

Where, pray, are the Victoria Line and Waterloo & City "go above
ground into the countryside"?!

The Vic (along with several others) doesn't go through the City,
either.

City of Westminster?

--
Bob

Old March 10th 07, 02:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

The police also have no right whatsoever to demand that you delete
photographs from your camera.

The police have the right to do what the hell they like. Welcome to New
Labour's Britain!

I recently took some photos on the Tyne and Wear Metro and I had to
sign an indemnity waiver and advise where I would be on the system.
Now I personally think that is completely over the top but
nonetheless I complied with the "rules" even though they were NOT on
the Nexus website. It took about three e-mails in the space of a few
hours and everything was sorted. I had no problems on the day and no
one batted an eyelid or said anything.

Any suicide bomber could do the same thing, so there is no point in them
demanding that people do that.

Security is important
but it is not there to create needless restrictions or paranoia or
else the terrorists have won IMO.

No, Bliar has won!

Old March 10th 07, 04:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

TFL link (one of the two should work):

http://tinyurl.com/2xu6oq

https://tube-tfl.custhelp.com/cgi-bi.../std_adp.php?p
_faqid=432&p_created=1107865574&p_sid=YHS1*9wi&p_a ccessibility=0&p_redirect=
&p_lva=432&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaW Rzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTU0
JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2 hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJj
aF9mbmwmcF9zY2ZfY190dWJlX2xpbmU9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2 VhcmNoX3RleHQ9dGFraW5nIHBo
b3RvcyBvbiB0aGUgdHViZQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
Old March 10th 07, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" schreef in bericht

If you go into 'Ask Tube' and search on the word 'photography', it reads

as
follows:

Q. Do I need permission to film or take photographs on the tube?

A. You may take personal photographs on the Tube, but you MUST NOT use
flash.

For information on filming or taking professional photographs on the tube,
please [click here]

(the link takes you to the commercial filming section linked earlier) I
think its about time somone much more interested in photography than me
tried to get them to change the website.

Paul

Still, if this very indirect way of informing is the level of clarity the HQ
offers, I am not surprised that Underground staff may be unsure and
overreact. I was recently asked by a station staff member for a written
permission when I photographed the *outside* of a surface station building,
*from the public road*. He claimed no London Underground objects may be
photographed without such a permission. When I doubted his statement, he
withdrew into his office and said he would call the police. He never did.
The location: Roding Valley...
Rudi

Old March 10th 07, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
alex_t writes

I'm using this to answer two points in this thread.

Are there any specific instructions for photographers on the
Underground? I was standing at the Baker Street station (Metropolitan
line platform) and tried to make photo of the local junction (at the
moment when train was passing it) - I was approached by two policemen
and told to stop photography and delete existing photos (they even
checked that the photos were deleted) as no photography allowed on the
Underground anymore due to the threat of the terrorism.

Is it true?

P.S. I was standing in the location permitted for the passengers and
photos without flash. Even more, I shot more then 10 stations during
the week, and this is the first incident of the kind (even though in
many locations I stood right next to station staff).

You may wish to refer them to the Station Staff who as far as I know are
actually in charge of the station. I would have also asked them to
provide evidence of this 'rule'.

As has been already stated, they have no authority to force you to
delete the pictures - only a court can do that.

I note in another message, someone being taken to task by station staff
about photography on London Underground stations. Well, you should
advise them to go and have a look up in their Working Reference Manual,
particularly part 10 of rule Sa109 which states:

10. Photography on stations
10.1 Passengers can take photographs with small cameras for private
purposes, provided
flashlights and/or tripods are not used
no obstruction or inconvenience is caused to staff and/or passengers.
10.2 Representatives of the media, press or photographic agencies and
film companies, and other persons taking photographs for commercial
purposes must first get permission from the Press Officer. See section
13 of this document.

This is taken from the 2002 WRM, but I'm fairly sure it's not been
amended since.