London Banter

-   -   Triple decker buses (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5108-triple-decker-buses.html)

Boltar March 19th 07 08:37 AM

Triple decker buses

Outside of a Harry Potter film , have triple deckers ever been used in
the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)? Is there any technical
reason other than height why they couldn't be used - centre of gravity
or passenger evacuation for example?

B2003

Fod March 19th 07 08:46 AM

Triple decker buses

On Mar 19, 9:37 am, "Boltar" wrote:
Outside of a Harry Potter film , have triple deckers ever been used in
the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)? Is there any technical
reason other than height why they couldn't be used - centre of gravity
or passenger evacuation for example?

B2003

getting them through most bridges would be a major headache surely?

Fod

furnessvale March 19th 07 08:51 AM

Triple decker buses

On 19 Mar, 09:37, "Boltar" wrote:
Outside of a Harry Potter film , have triple deckers ever been used in
the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)? Is there any technical
reason other than height why they couldn't be used - centre of gravity
or passenger evacuation for example?

Triple deck road trailers are a major hazard on our roads in windy
weather. I doubt any insurance company would wish to insure a
passenger carrying version.

George

NM March 19th 07 08:51 AM

Triple decker buses

On 19 Mar, 09:37, "Boltar" wrote:
Outside of a Harry Potter film , have triple deckers ever been used in
the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)? Is there any technical
reason other than height why they couldn't be used - centre of gravity
or passenger evacuation for example?

B2003

D/D tend to be used in cities therefore overhead clearance is a factor
which usually limit the height. where capacity is needed and there is
no constraint of height vehicles tend to become longer. See the
articulated busses used in Iraq and in the EU Dutch inter city coaches
are getting longer.

Boltar March 19th 07 09:14 AM

Triple decker buses

On Mar 19, 9:51 am, "furnessvale" wrote:
Triple deck road trailers are a major hazard on our roads in windy
weather. I doubt any insurance company would wish to insure a
passenger carrying version.

George

Good point , hadn't thought of that.

B2003

Stephen Firth March 19th 07 10:03 AM

Triple decker buses

NM wrote:

D/D tend to be used in cities

Unfortunately this is not true. Stagecoach tend to use DD buses for
rural routes.

Colin Rosenstiel March 19th 07 10:47 AM

Triple decker buses

In article .com,
(Boltar) wrote:

Outside of a Harry Potter film , have triple deckers ever been used
in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter)? Is there any technical
reason other than height why they couldn't be used - centre of
gravity or passenger evacuation for example?

I'm not aware of the idea ever catching on. The original double deckers
were single deckers with seats on the roof, so no triple decker idea
there.

Later people were paranoid about buses toppling over, hence the Chiswick
demonstrations of just how far over you could tip a bus without it
falling over.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

John B March 19th 07 12:13 PM

Triple decker buses

Stephen Firth wrote:

NM wrote:

D/D tend to be used in cities

Unfortunately this is not true.

Wrong.

Stagecoach tend to use DD buses for
rural routes.

Not in Hampshire.

NM March 19th 07 12:23 PM

Triple decker buses

On 19 Mar, 11:03, (Stephen Firth) wrote:
NM wrote:
D/D tend to be used in cities

Unfortunately this is not true. Stagecoach tend to use DD buses for
rural routes.

Always someone is a nit picker, Check with Stagecoach, they did not
specifically specify D/D for rural routes they are busses they
inhereted and are using up the equity the accountants deem they still
retain.

We have a similat thing in West Cornwall with Ex city D/Deckers
running down country lanes colliding with the trees.

TimB March 19th 07 12:49 PM

Triple decker buses

On Mar 19, 1:23 pm, "NM" wrote:
On 19 Mar, 11:03, (Stephen Firth) wrote:

Unfortunately this is not true. Stagecoach tend to use DD buses for
rural routes.

Always someone is a nit picker, Check with Stagecoach, they did not
specifically specify D/D for rural routes they are busses they
inhereted and are using up the equity the accountants deem they still
retain.

I believe Stagecoach bought D/Ds for rural routes around Cambridge