Old March 22nd 07, 05:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Website re launch

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Old March 22nd 07, 06:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 22, 6:18 am, wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

this was an interesting website which didn't merit it's own topic
either.
http://www.themanwhofellasleep.com/gossip.html

Old March 22nd 07, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

typed

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

The traffic news microsite is wonderful; if you check the CCTV boxes,
you get webcam views by floating your mouse over the spot.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old March 22nd 07, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

I have to say that the new TfL site looks amateurish and is needlessly
difficult to read.

1. I use Windows XP Home and IE 6.0, and with my normal settings the
layout is a mess. For example on the Live Travel News page, the heading
is partly obliterated by a detached part of the blue highlighting of the
menu item above it. The "last updated" note partly covers "Trams Rail"
on the line of tabs. I can only correct the layout glitches by reducing
the IE text size to Smallest, which is too small to read comfortably.

2. Lots of the text is either grey on white or light blue on white.
Why have TfL opted for such poor contrast? In any case, grey text on
forms is often used to indicate an option that is not available, yet TfL
are using it widely instead of black.

TfL's document standards are actually very good, mandating minimum font
sizes on paper documents for example, with very strict rules for how New
Johnston typeface is used. Obviously they can't be applied in full on
the website, but they could have applied the spirit of them more
effectively.

I shall be taking these matters up with TfL directly.
--
Richard J.

Old March 22nd 07, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

I have to say that the new TfL site looks amateurish and is needlessly
difficult to read.

As an amateur web designer I take exception to that. :-) It's an
absolute disgrace.

1. I use Windows XP Home and IE 6.0, and with my normal settings the
layout is a mess.

For a real mess try Firefox 2 and (for irony) go to the accessibility
page http://www.tfl.gov.uk/accessibility/options/877.aspx (and perhaps
others too)

Hit Control+ (increase text size) a few times. How's that for an
unreadable mess?
--
Malcolm

Old March 22nd 07, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

1. I use Windows XP Home and IE 6.0, and with my normal settings the
layout is a mess.

Time to upgrade to IE7!

Old March 22nd 07, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

For a real mess try Firefox 2 and (for irony) go to the accessibility
pagehttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/accessibility/options/877.aspx(and perhaps
others too)

Hit Control+ (increase text size) a few times. How's that for an
unreadable mess?

Well, it worked for me most of the time. Yes, at large fonts some text
is out of the boxes - but that's common problem everywhere on WWW.

Old March 22nd 07, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"TheSovereign" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 22, 6:18 am, wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

this was an interesting website which didn't merit it's own topic
either.
http://www.themanwhofellasleep.com/gossip.html

Why would it not this newsgroup is related to uk.transport.london and the
website I quoted is about London Transport.

Old March 22nd 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
typed

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

The traffic news microsite is wonderful; if you check the CCTV boxes,
you get webcam views by floating your mouse over the spot.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

I cannot find the CCTV boxes?

Old March 22nd 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
alex_t wrote:

For a real mess try Firefox 2 and (for irony) go to the accessibility
pagehttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/accessibility/options/877.aspx(and perhaps
others too)

Hit Control+ (increase text size) a few times. How's that for an
unreadable mess?

Well, it worked for me most of the time. Yes, at large fonts some text
is out of the boxes - but that's common problem everywhere on WWW.

It's a common sign of clueless web design, I'd agree. The boxes should
scale with the text. Personally I don't care if IE5 does only understand
measurements in pixels, my text boxes are specified in ems and they get
bigger nicely in direct proportion to the font. If you have Firefox or
a more recent IE then try it with the site in my sig.

It's not rocket science. With a bit of CSS hackery you can even make
boxes which work both with IE = 5 (insofar as that browser can be said to
"work") and with more standard browsers.

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom ... So express yourself