Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 8th 03, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Shielding 750 volt 3rd rail ?

Michael Bell wrote:
It has always seemed to me that the 750 volt 3rd rail is a bad idea.

snip
So I have been thinking of the possibilities of shielding the
3rd rail. snip

Other people have designed such systems too. There is one already in
operation in London - the DLR.

To complete this would obviously be a 10 or 20 year project,
(even longer to replace some of the longer-lived stock with higher
voltage stock) but some of the benefits, such as no icing in winter,
would come immediately.

Your design includes a plastic cover over the top of the rail. Doesn't this
prevent existing stock from using rails fitted with your plastic covers? I
don't understand how you intend to operate during the 10-20 year conversion
period.

Also, have you done any sort of cost-benefit analysis for this project?
--
Richard J.