London Banter

-   -   London or London's Transport Museum (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5145-london-londons-transport-museum.html)

Peter Heather April 1st 07 03:26 PM

London or London's Transport Museum

Ignoring for the moment the merits or otherwise of it being called
London or London's Transport Museum, I see that to publicise the
opening of the new shop, the Museum's gold painted RT has appeared
liveried as "London transport museum" complete with roundel on the
side (and "transport" and "museum" are lower case as shown). Has the
name reverted to its original one or is this someone not following the
corporate line (heaven help them!)?

Peter

Richard J. April 1st 07 03:49 PM

Peter Heather wrote:
Ignoring for the moment the merits or otherwise of it being called
London or London's Transport Museum, I see that to publicise the
opening of the new shop, the Museum's gold painted RT has appeared
liveried as "London transport museum" complete with roundel on the
side (and "transport" and "museum" are lower case as shown). Has the
name reverted to its original one or is this someone not following
the corporate line (heaven help them!)?

The apostrophe is being dropped. It was still on the museum building
last week, but the website www.ltmuseum.co.uk has "london transport
museum" alonside the roundel as a new logo. In the text, both "London
Transport Museum" and "London's Transport Museum" occur, presumably as
they work their way through the site updating each page.

--
Richard J.

James Farrar April 1st 07 05:30 PM

London or London's Transport Museum

Well, hoo-****ing-ray for that.

Ian Jelf April 1st 07 06:19 PM

London or London's Transport Museum

I had my first look at the shop yesterday and was actually pretty
impressed. Plenty of space for one thing. It's *much* easier to
browse books, in particular, which I like.

I've posted here before about the offhand attitude of staff there and
have to say that the (two) people who served us were very happy and
cheerful, which makes a change! :-)

I hope it's a sign of things to come.

Now, I wonder what the Museum will look like? (Good news about
dropping the apostrophe, by the way. I wonder when TfL will become
"London Transport"?)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

[email protected] April 2nd 07 11:09 AM

On Apr 1, 7:19�pm, Ian Jelf wrote:
I had my first look at the shop yesterday and was actually pretty
impressed. * Plenty of space for one thing. * It's *much* easier to
browse books, in particular, which I like.

I've posted here before about the offhand attitude of staff there and
have to say that the (two) people who served us were very happy and
cheerful, which makes a change! * :-)

I hope it's a sign of things to come.

Now, I wonder what the Museum will look like? * (Good news about
dropping the apostrophe, by the way. * I wonder when TfL will become
"London Transport"?)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

Registered Blue Badge Tourist Guide for London and the Heart of Englandhttp://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Sorry to insert a critical note into the general back-slapping about
the dropping of the apostrophe (actually, it's the apostrophe AND the
"s" that are being dropped - just dropping the apostrophe would have
been even worse!), but I am appalled that the new logo on the website
appears to have dispensed with upper-case lettering altogether - even
for "london"(sic.).

I find little more visually offensive than proper nouns starting with
a lower-case letter. Of course, it should be "London Transport
Museum", not "london transport museum" - or is the new organisation
also going to be changed to "transport for london" (sic.)?

It's made even worse by the inconsistency that follows - on the main
Museum page, the text immediately refers to the "Museum" (sic.) and
not "museum" (sic.) which is in the main header just above it!

Marc
(for whom pedantry is a way of life!)

Michael Hoffman April 2nd 07 11:24 AM

wrote:

I am appalled that the new logo on the website
appears to have dispensed with upper-case lettering altogether - even
for "london"(sic.).

The horror!

I find little more visually offensive than proper nouns starting with
a lower-case letter.

How do you feel about logos where everything is in all caps?

It's made even worse by the inconsistency that follows - on the main
Museum page, the text immediately refers to the "Museum" (sic.) and
not "museum" (sic.) which is in the main header just above it!

It's not inconsistency, since the typographic treatment of the logo does
not change the way the name is spelled.

http://www.theslot.com/caps.html
--
Michael Hoffman

Ian Jelf April 2nd 07 08:26 PM

London or London's Transport Museum

In message . com,
" writes
Sorry to insert a critical note into the general back-slapping about
the dropping of the apostrophe (actually, it's the apostrophe AND the
"s" that are being dropped - just dropping the apostrophe would have
been even worse!), but I am appalled that the new logo on the website
appears to have dispensed with upper-case lettering altogether - even
for "london"(sic.).

Yes, just to clarify my earlier post, I'd agree with this. Such
"trends" make the use of proper grammar ever rarer. (In my humble
opinion, of course!)

kytelly April 3rd 07 03:55 PM

On 1 Apr, 19:19, Ian Jelf wrote:
I had my first look at the shop yesterday and was actually pretty
impressed. Plenty of space for one thing. It's *much* easier to
browse books, in particular, which I like.

I've posted here before about the offhand attitude of staff there and
have to say that the (two) people who served us were very happy and
cheerful, which makes a change! :-)

I hope it's a sign of things to come.

Now, I wonder what the Museum will look like? (Good news about
dropping the apostrophe, by the way. I wonder when TfL will become
"London Transport"?)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

Registered Blue Badge Tourist Guide for London and the Heart of Englandhttp://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Yeah its better on the whole but the first floor has some very narrow
stairs up to it which will easily become a bit of a bottleneck.

Richard J. April 3rd 07 06:17 PM

London or London's Transport Museum

kytelly wrote:
On 1 Apr, 19:19, Ian Jelf wrote:

[snip]
Now, I wonder what the Museum will look like? (Good news about
dropping the apostrophe, by the way. I wonder when TfL will
become "London Transport"?)

Yeah its better on the whole but the first floor has some very
narrow stairs up to it which will easily become a bit of a
bottleneck.

The plan is to lead people from the entrance towards lifts to the top
floor, so that the main flows on the stairs are downwards.
--
Richard J.

Ian Jelf April 3rd 07 11:02 PM

London or London's Transport Museum

In message . com,
kytelly writes
Yeah its better on the whole but the first floor has some very narrow
stairs up to it which will easily become a bit of a bottleneck.

I couldn't see a lift, either but assume there must be one somewhere?