Old April 16th 07, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 5 pounds

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 245.131...
tim..... ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Which is itself a bigger problem as there would appear
to be no other way of getting them into circulation.

Crap.

ATMs aren't the only way notes get into circulation.

Many shops take wodges of 'em from the bank for till floats.

There is an increasing tendency to get change in coins for a ten pound note,
with an apology for a lack of fivers, which bears out the theory that there
are less in circulation.

Paul

Old April 16th 07, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:00:49 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
.245.131...
tim..... ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Which is itself a bigger problem as there would appear
to be no other way of getting them into circulation.

Crap.

ATMs aren't the only way notes get into circulation.

Many shops take wodges of 'em from the bank for till floats.

There is an increasing tendency to get change in coins for a ten pound note,
with an apology for a lack of fivers, which bears out the theory that there
are less in circulation.

I've noticed this several times in the last month, certainly.
Old April 16th 07, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message

tim..... wrote
[...]
Which is itself a bigger problem as there would appear
to be no other way of getting them into circulation.

The BoE has loads of fivers, printed and ready to
ship, to replace all the tatty worn out notes that are
still circulated and the high street banks don't want
to take them.

If so it's because they too have no means of getting them into
circulation since they don't want to reload the ATMs aka hole in the
wall machines two or four times more often.

Why not cash a cheque over the bank counter and ask for new fivers ?

I personally would love to do this, but I bet if I did
they would still expect me to take 5 twenties

tim

Old April 16th 07, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar typed

There is an increasing tendency to get change in coins for a ten
pound note,
with an apology for a lack of fivers, which bears out the theory that
there
are less in circulation.

I've noticed this several times in the last month, certainly.

I've noticed it for at least a year...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 16th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 245.131...
tim..... ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Which is itself a bigger problem as there would appear
to be no other way of getting them into circulation.

Crap.

ATMs aren't the only way notes get into circulation.

Many shops take wodges of 'em from the bank for till floats.

There is an increasing tendency to get change in coins for a ten pound
note, with an apology for a lack of fivers, which bears out the theory
that there are less in circulation.

The other problem is many shops don't have any £2 coins either so you get a
load of £1 coins instead.

Peter Smyth

Old April 17th 07, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim..... wrote

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote

?

I personally would love to do this, but I bet if I did
they would still expect me to take 5 twenties

It's the cashier's job to give you the denominations you ask for (in
the old days you wrote it on the back of the cheque).

They might only have old fivers of course so a visit to the Bank of
England might be necessary with 2 x £50.

--
Mike D

Old April 17th 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:02:25 +0100, HVB
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:41:09 +0100, "Clive."
wrote:

In message ,
writes
Bout time the fiver was scrapped of and made coin only at one time if
you had a fiver in your pocket you felt you where rich but not any
more.

You can't even get them from the "wailing wall".

You can - I got 10 of them this morning from a Barclays machine.

Blimey, where?

The last HITW I knew that gave out fivers was at the Barclays at
Gloucester Road, but that stopped three or four years ago.