Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 20th 07, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Guards? What guards?

On Apr 20, 7:57 am, Adrian wrote:
keithy ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Of course TfL should abolish Guards on the NLL, who contribute nothing
to passenger safety and stay safely locked in their cabs whilst
travelling through the NLL's many areas of "bandit country". BUT they
should be replaced by permanent in-car roving security/revenue
presence and that's unlikely to happen. It's still not clear just how
gated/staffed some of the smaller NLL stations will be and, without
permanently-staffed gatelines at all stations the rabble are still
going to have unfettered access as at present.

Blad you want TFL to get rid of my job!!!! Does that mean you will be
able to look after me and my wife, pay our rent, pay for our holidays,
pay all our bills, pay for my Arsenal season ticket, For the next 22
that i can still work?

Umm, Keith, dear... I can understand why you have strong feelings on the
issue, but if the most persuasive argument you can find as to why Guards
should be retained is "to pay for your Arsenal season ticket", then please
go right now.

No, I didn't know that "Guards" still existed on London commuter trains,
either. If you think "every" ****ed-off passenger manages to find you, then
you have rose-tinted specs on when it comes to passenger morale.

Actually i was being rather ironic in mentioning my Arsenal season
ticket, just thought id put a bit of humour on the topic.
What has passenger morale got to do with me wearing rose tinted
spectacles? For me to get to work i have to use the Sh*tty service
that is Silverlink to get to and from work. Yet you never see me take
out on members of staff when im delayed getting home. I accept the
service is crap. If you think that passenger morale is low, you should
try working for a company like Silverlink. I have been trying for the
past 5 years to get out and join a better company who have better
passengers, however alas despite the fact ive done 27 years on the
railway with a sickness record that is second to none i still cant get
out of this company. Things have got so bad ive even asked my wife for
jobs in her company which is Tescos!!!!!!!!.

has no Guards and is far less threatening, however unlike Silverlink
money comes direct from the Mayors office and is not given to
shareholders before they are first dwindled down to the passenger and
then the staff. The reason why London Underground is better staffed
than Silverlink is down to the fact that trains on the deep level
tubes cant run unless staff are availible. Where as on Silverlink they
couldnt give a toss if the station was open or not. Trains would still
run. Another reason why stations or not better staffed on Silverlink
is money. If you worked in a ticket office on London Underground you
will get a salary of around £24,500, yet you do the same job on
Silverlink and you get £12,600. I bet no one on here would work for
that amount of money, whilst living in surburbia.

From a passenger and member of staff point of view what is meant by

Passenger comfort? I am not sure what that entails for some it could
be the train running on time, for some it could mean getting a seat,
having refreshments, helping with enquires for some it could be all of
those and more. How would one do that on the 08.07 from Sratford
every morning?

It would be nice moving to the LUL model however that will never
happen on Silverlink, All that is happening is control of the service
is going from DfT to TfL so any staff who thinks they will get the
same salries as on the tube is badly mistaken, the same goes for the
passenger who thinks that the service and passenger comfort will
improve. The new trains planned have far fewer seats then the current
1970s 313s. So you will be standing more and for longer, and they will
still be only three coaches long. On the new trains you will have all
the information you need loud messages every few seconds and a dot
matrix screen letting you know where you are. So you are all quite
right i need not be a Guard on the railways anymore, but as for
holding a batton at stations like Dalston kingsland , Hackney Central,
Highbury and Islington, Brondesbury Kensal rise in fact all of them.
you are badly mistaken id rather be on the dole.

keithy