Old April 20th 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default In a LT minute

While waiting at the London Bridge northbound Northern line stop I thought
I'd time the countdown. For every declared 'minute' to go, I counted 1
minute 20 seconds.

Is there a LT/real time ratio available?

Old April 20th 07, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's always been like this since the dot matrix indicators were
installed in the late-80s.

Old April 20th 07, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
It's always been like this since the dot matrix indicators were
installed in the late-80s.

Fair enough. But how do LT work out their minutes?

Old April 21st 07, 08:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 21, 12:03 am, "Movilla" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

It's always been like this since the dot matrix indicators were
installed in the late-80s.

Fair enough. But how do LT work out their minutes?

There was an old episode of Have I Got News For You where they read
out the press release about the introduction of 'next bus' indicators
at bus stops. It went something like: "Minutes will not always
consist of 60 seconds. Sometimes the indicator will say 2 minutes but
it will actually take longer."

Old April 21st 07, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I think its based on "where" the train is in relation to your station.

if it gets held up when its 2 min away then it will still take 2 min to
reach you once it actually departs after being delayed.

see - easy as quantum physics (or trying to spell it even)

Old April 21st 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Movilla" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
It's always been like this since the dot matrix indicators were
installed in the late-80s.

Fair enough. But how do LT work out their minutes?

The story I was told was they were designed to make customers feel like they
are getting a better service as people would not notice the difference
between lu and real time.

Old April 21st 07, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Frank Incense wrote:
I think its based on "where" the train is in relation to your station.

if it gets held up when its 2 min away then it will still take 2 min
to reach you once it actually departs after being delayed.

see - easy as quantum physics (or trying to spell it even)

That's what I thought. I understood that it was all transponder based these
days. Train reports position to computer, computer calculates time to
subsequent stations and updates platform displays. I've certainly never
noticed any "standard" LT minute, I've even seen displays adjust from '1
min' to '2 mins' whilst I've been waiting.

Old April 21st 07, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Movilla wrote:
While waiting at the London Bridge northbound Northern line stop I thought
I'd time the countdown. For every declared 'minute' to go, I counted 1
minute 20 seconds.

Just as with the bus Countdown system - these are really indicators of
*where* the corresponding vehicle is. They are misleading when it stops
or otherwise travels at speeds above or below the anticipated one.

ESB
Old April 21st 07, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Movilla wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
It's always been like this since the dot matrix indicators were
installed in the late-80s.

Fair enough. But how do LT work out their minutes?

Basically they were the estimated time for off peak trains (senior operators
did not like the idea of a train arriving "early").

The original signs (on the Northern Line) were fed from the central control
computer (at Coburg Street) data for each platform. This computer was only
reading states - not actually performing control (political reasons)
functions. I wrote the interface software from the computer to the signs.
When we commissioned a specific sign the guy who wrote the software
interfacing the train running data to my output process calculated the
approach time for a reasonable off peak timing and would then go (or send
someone else) to the appropriate platform (checking that the service was
running fairly well before he left the office) and time trains entering the
platform with those of us at the computer end making hand adjustments to
each sign. This allowed the local run in to be fairly accurate as long as
the approaching train was not held on the approach by a tardy departure by
the previous train. The computer was monitoring the position of trains by
track circuit occupancy. The times generated were usually off peak -
bearing in mind that the average interstation time on LUL tube sections is
less than 2 minutes, any time longer than 2 minutes was subject to the
vagaries of platform dwell time at intermediate stations as well as the
difference in timing due to loading and traction voltage variations which
were than common. The system was designed to blank the time for any train
which overdwelled and only restart the timing when the train moved again.
The system was only passive and was subject coping with signallers changing
train details or destinations to try and get service back on time.
Junctions were only monitored and it was almost coincidental that the run
from Camden Town to Euston was about 2 minutes. If the system was
projecting a train down a particular route it would count down on the Euston
signs until it got to Camden (2 mins shown). If it was held by the
signaller the time would blank and if he let the one from the other platform
go first this would be detected as the train left the platform and displayed
shortly thereafter (usually still as 2 mins). If the destination of the new
train had changed you would get the "CORRECTION" display. I thought (and
still do) that most regular travellers would much prefer to be told the
actual position of the train (e.g. "at TCR") because they would soon get the
hang of working out how long a train would take to arrive - but simple
displays were preferred by the operators.

The stand-alone system developed for most other lines was basically
independant of the signalling system using three trigger points (taken from
the signalling track circuits) which counted down from each timing point
with each timing point recalibrating the count (or holding/blanking, if
required). The train description was taken from whatever system was in use
on the line. This was still subject to the vagaies of train running and
platform dwells.

I can't remember what we did to the Victoria Line Identra System!

As the centralised computers became more of a real control system
(signallers using them for control functions as well as monitoring & info -
Met & Jubilee plus Bakerloo Lines at Baker Street) the signs controls were
updated (Met signs again came from the computer control points). The
Central Line displays were, I think, integrated within the computer system -
eventually full ato operation would be able to give much more accurate
arrival data.

PTI (Positive Train Identification) also had a role to play - this is the
transponder bit you may have been thinking about. This is a system which
identifies each train, its destination, number and crew at transponders
sited at critical points around the lines - it provides positive
identification at fixed points only which the other systems can use as
appropriate.

Fully integrated systems now being intalled should allow a much better (more
accurate) display.
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK