London Banter

-   -   LU Stock Transfer Lines (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5218-lu-stock-transfer-lines.html)

[email protected] April 29th 07 12:21 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

Is there a website which includes details of "odd" stretches of the LU
network not normally used for passenger carrying journeys? I'm
thinking mainly about connecting links between different "lines". Are
any of these quite lengthy? Would most drivers working Line "X" and
Line "Y" be trained to work over a connecting line between the two? Is
the link from the District Line to the East London Line just a short
tunnel section with double-track?

--
gordon

[email protected] April 29th 07 02:59 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

There are no quite lengthly connections, apart from in depots such as
Ruislip which has connections to the Central and Met. The longest one
outside of depots is probably Saint Mary's curve between Aldgate East
and Whitechapel connecting the East London Line to the District, used
for transferring A stock, which as you say is a short double track
tunnel section.

In general, only engineering train operators have a working knowledge
of more than one line.

Steve Fitzgerald April 29th 07 03:25 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

In message . com,
" writes

Is there a website which includes details of "odd" stretches of the LU
network not normally used for passenger carrying journeys? I'm
thinking mainly about connecting links between different "lines". Are
any of these quite lengthy? Would most drivers working Line "X" and
Line "Y" be trained to work over a connecting line between the two? Is
the link from the District Line to the East London Line just a short
tunnel section with double-track?

I don't know of any specific websites offhand but Tubeprune is likely to
have something. I have a copy of the 2002 London Transport Quail map
which shows all the track plans for LU, hence these links. I obtained
it from the London(s) Transport Museum some time ago, I don't know if
they still sell them though.

There are only a few specific links on LU as most lines have some common
sections (ie. Hammersmith Hanger Lane Junction for the
District/Piccadilly) and transfers can be done easily over these. The
only ones I can think of a

East London District over St. Mary's Curve.
Victoria Piccadilly over the crossover just south of Finsbury Park.
Northern Piccadilly via the Kings Cross Loop (a short tunnel from
Kings Cross (Northern Northbound) to Kings Cross (Piccadilly Eastbound).
CentralMetropolitan/Piccadilly at Ruislip depot. (You can also get
from the CentralDistrict at Ealing Broadway, but this has been disused
for many years, I tink since Central line ATO, and I'm not sure if it's
deemed available any more)
BakerlooJubilee at Baker Street, although as the Bakerloo and Jubilee
used to be the same line once upon a time I'm not sure this counts as a
special link.

With these, it is possible to get from any part of the Underground to
any other part, albeit by some very convoluted routes in some cases.

All 'normal' Underground drivers are allocated to one depot and only
work the line that depot services. Any driver transferring from line X
to line Y would be deemed to have lost their knowledge of line X after 6
months, although within that time they could technically drive both
lines if their line X licence hasn't been withdrawn on transfer. The
only exception to this I can think of is the East London line where the
drivers also 'know' the road to Neasden for stock transfers there for
maintenance. This will stop from the end of the year anyway.

There are a number of Engineering train drivers who drive those little
yellow slug loco things on engineering trains who are required to have
knowledge of the whole combine. There are also a small number of test
train drivers who know everything as they are trained on al stocks on
all lines. They don't get out much as they spend all their lives on
refresher courses!

St. Mary's Curve is indeed double track but due to the sharp curves, the
signalling has been modified to only allow one train in the section at
any one time due to the possibility of trains touching each other.

Mark Brader April 29th 07 05:31 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

"Gordon" writes:
Is there a website which includes details of "odd" stretches of the LU
network not normally used for passenger carrying journeys? I'm
thinking mainly about connecting links between different "lines". Are
any of these quite lengthy? ...

CULG http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/ covers these in the Connections
section for each line, with further description as appropriate in the
Layout or History sections (for example, if the link was at one time
used by trains in service, with the District - East London connection).
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I'm not going to post a revision: even USENET

[email protected] April 29th 07 09:59 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On 29 Apr, 18:31, (Mark Brader) wrote:
CULG http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/ covers these in the Connections
section for each line, with further description as appropriate in the
Layout or History sections (for example, if the link was at one time
used by trains in service, with the District - East London connection).

Thanks for that and also to the others who have replied.
--
gordon

John Rowland April 30th 07 01:42 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

With these, it is possible to get from any part of the Underground to
any other part, albeit by some very convoluted routes in some cases.

..... apart from the Waterloo & City Line, which trains can only reach by
being lowered by a crane.

Boltar April 30th 07 11:48 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On 29 Apr, 16:25, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
St. Mary's Curve is indeed double track but due to the sharp curves, the
signalling has been modified to only allow one train in the section at
any one time due to the possibility of trains touching each other.

That begs the question of why did they build the tunnel that bit too
narrow?

B2003

Tom Anderson April 30th 07 11:52 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

With these, it is possible to get from any part of the Underground to
any other part, albeit by some very convoluted routes in some cases.

.... apart from the Waterloo & City Line, which trains can only reach by
being lowered by a crane.

Has consideration ever been given to connecting the W&C to anything? I
reckon you could plumb it into the Central line at Bank; don't know if you
could get it up to mainline level at Waterloo, or anywhere near any of the
tube lines.

tom

--
People don't want nice. People want London. -- Al

Jack Taylor April 30th 07 12:19 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

Boltar wrote:
On 29 Apr, 16:25, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
St. Mary's Curve is indeed double track but due to the sharp curves,
the signalling has been modified to only allow one train in the
section at any one time due to the possibility of trains touching
each other.

That begs the question of why did they build the tunnel that bit too
narrow?

Or the stock that bit too big?

Seriously, though, 'A' stock was not around when the curve was built. The
length of modern cars and the distance between the bogies means that the
centre of the vehicles swing further out when curving than earlier short
wheelbase stock would have done, with the resulting danger of scraping
trains passing in the other direction. 'A' stock was never intended for the
ELL and only really ended up there as a result of their being some
flexibility in the fleet during a recessional period.

Sam April 30th 07 03:12 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On 30 Apr, 12:52, Tom Anderson wrote:
Has consideration ever been given to connecting the W&C to anything? I
reckon you could plumb it into the Central line at Bank; don't know if you
could get it up to mainline level at Waterloo, or anywhere near any of the
tube lines.

There have been proposals at various times for extensions north, to
meet the ex-Northern City Branch at Moorgate. However, these proposals
always mention that the Bank of England vaults get in the way. I think
in reality, the direction of the W&C platforms at Bank isn't
particularly suited to an extension at Moorgate.

Sam

Mark Brader April 30th 07 05:42 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

Tom Anderson:
Has consideration ever been given to connecting the W&C to anything?

"Sam":
There have been proposals at various times for extensions north, to
meet the ex-Northern City Branch at Moorgate.

Notably by the Metropolitan Railway just after they took over the latter
line in 1913.

However, these proposals always mention that the Bank of England
vaults get in the way. I think in reality, the direction of the W&C
platforms at Bank isn't particularly suited to an extension at Moorgate.

To save money, the W&C station (originally called City, not Bank)
was built with its platforms some distance west of the actual square
where the Bank is -- what's why passengers reach the surface by a long
inclined tunnel (which did not have a moving ramp until 1960) -- and as
I understand it they're under Queen Victoria Street. That would give
a reasonable alignment for an extension toward Moorgate station, if
nothing was in the way, and if it was desired. Of course, the combined
line could then only use tube-size trains, so that would be one more
reason not to do it.
--
Mark Brader "To err is human, but to really mess things up
Toronto you need a timetable planner!"

Colin Rosenstiel April 30th 07 11:46 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

In article ,
(Jack Taylor) wrote:

Boltar wrote:
[...]

Hmm. Wasn't the ELL stock at the time the A stock was built the F stock?
That was pretty close to the A Stock in dimensions wasn't it? I think St.
Mary's Curve was sized for steam stock.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Bill Hayles May 1st 07 08:34 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On Tue, 1 May 2007 00:46 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

Hmm. Wasn't the ELL stock at the time the A stock was built the F stock?

Yes, but it had only been there for a few years (since 1953, I believe).

Before that it was first generation District stock (mainly "B") stock -
and maybe others) which worked it from 1937 to 1953, having taken over
from earlier Met stock.

That was pretty close to the A Stock in dimensions wasn't it? I think St.
Mary's Curve was sized for steam stock.

Yes, but the curve was used for regular passenger services until 1939,
and I don't recall there being any restrictions for any stock before the
A stock arrived.

I have been ridden the curve as a passenger twice; once on F stock and
once on Q stock.

There seem to be very few photos around of the ELL between 1913
(electrification) and the F stock days. I don't have a single photo of
electric stock on the line before 1952.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com

[email protected] May 1st 07 09:24 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On 1 May, 09:34, Bill Hayles wrote:
I have been ridden *the curve as a passenger twice; once on F stock and
once on Q stock.

Is there anything to see over this section or is it basically a
featureless section of tunnel with a junction at each either end?

--
gordon

Bill Hayles May 2nd 07 11:06 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On 1 May 2007 14:24:22 -0700, "
wrote:

On 1 May, 09:34, Bill Hayles wrote:
I have been ridden 4he curve as a passenger twice; once on F stock and
once on Q stock.

Is there anything to see over this section or is it basically a
featureless section of tunnel with a junction at each either end?

That about sums it up.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com

Henry May 2nd 07 04:18 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

With these, it is possible to get from any part of the Underground to
any other part, albeit by some very convoluted routes in some cases.

.... apart from the Waterloo & City Line, which trains can only reach by
being lowered by a crane.

Has consideration ever been given to connecting the W&C to anything? I
reckon you could plumb it into the Central line at Bank; don't know if you
could get it up to mainline level at Waterloo, or anywhere near any of the
tube lines.

I've long thought it should be extended to Vauxhall and possibly
Clapham
Junction, to spread the load a bit. There was a discussion about that
here
a long time ago, and I've forgotten why it turned out to be a bad
idea. :(

Can't see much advantage in connecting the W&C and Victoria, though...

Thanks

Henry

Spyke May 2nd 07 08:29 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

Henry wrote:

[W&C]

I've long thought it should be extended to Vauxhall and possibly
Clapham
Junction, to spread the load a bit. There was a discussion about that
here
a long time ago, and I've forgotten why it turned out to be a bad
idea. :(

Can't see much advantage in connecting the W&C and Victoria, though...

The problem with the W&C is that, because of the short trains, it can
get horrendously overcrowded in the peaks (with queues up the ramps at
Waterloo).
This isn't too bad if everyone gets on at one end and gets off at the
other, but if you had an intermediate station, you'd be packing people
onto already full trains with very few getting off.
The only fix would be to extend the platforms at both stations to fit
proper length trains of 7 or 8 cars.

MIG May 2nd 07 08:39 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On Apr 29, 4:25 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message . com,
" writes

[...]

Talking of ATO, I think it used to be used for transfer between the
Victoria Line and the ATO Hainault - Woodford section, but I suppose
Ruislip would be just as good for that.

John Rowland May 3rd 07 01:50 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

MIG wrote:
[...]

I don't understand - what is "it"/"that"?

I thought the ATO was removed from Woodford Hainault before the Vic was
opened.

John Shelley May 3rd 07 08:07 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

John Rowland wrote:
MIG wrote:
On Apr 29, 4:25 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message . com,
" writes

snip
(You can also get from the CentralDistrict at Ealing
Broadway, but this has been disused for many years, I tink since
Central line ATO, and I'm not sure if it's deemed available any
more)

Talking of ATO, I think it used to be used for transfer between the
Victoria Line and the ATO Hainault - Woodford section, but I suppose
Ruislip would be just as good for that.

I don't understand - what is "it"/"that"?

I thought the ATO was removed from Woodford Hainault before the Vic
was opened.

I think "it" is the District-Central link at Ealing Broadway and "that" is
transfer of the ATO trains between Victoria line and Central line, but it is
all rather confusing.

According to "The twopenny Tube" by J Graeme Bruce and Desmond F Croome pub
by Capital Transport the Victoria line trains were initially tested on the
Woodford Hainault ATO (Automatic Train Operation) fitted section before
going to the Victoria line. Some remained ther in service use until there
was a demand for them on the Victoria line the last going in September 1984.
The ATO on the Woodford-Hainault line was decommissioned from October 1986.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx

remove spamnocars to reply

MIG May 3rd 07 08:06 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On May 3, 9:07 am, "John Shelley"
wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
MIG wrote:
[...]

The Hainault - Woodford section must have stopped running as a shuttle
at that time, with some trains running through from central London to
Woodford via Hainault.

When it was a shuttle, there was generally one unit of 1967 (Victoria
Line) stock based at Hainault at any given time, but they would
rotate, with the transfers taking place via Ealing Broadway.

For some reason, I can only ever remember units from the second order
of 1967 stock (for the Brixton extension) running on the Central. I
can't think of any reason for why that would be.

Henry May 3rd 07 09:48 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

Spyke wrote:
Henry wrote:

[W&C]

I've long thought it should be extended to Vauxhall and possibly
Clapham
Junction, to spread the load a bit. There was a discussion about that
here
a long time ago, and I've forgotten why it turned out to be a bad
idea. :(

The problem with the W&C is that, because of the short trains, it can
get horrendously overcrowded in the peaks (with queues up the ramps at
Waterloo).
This isn't too bad if everyone gets on at one end and gets off at the
other, but if you had an intermediate station, you'd be packing people
onto already full trains with very few getting off.

I like the idea of "stopping" and "fast" services
on the W&C! :)

More deviously, what about running just Bank-Vauxhall(direct) and
Bank-Waterloo only? Would there be sufficient capacity to
turn more trains at Bank?

The only fix would be to extend the platforms at both stations to fit
proper length trains of 7 or 8 cars.

That would certainly improve the capacity of the line overall.
I'm just wondering whether there could be benefits elsewhere
from separating out suburban and long-distance rail users before
they reach Waterloo.

Hth

Henry

MIG May 3rd 07 11:34 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On May 3, 10:48 pm, Henry wrote:
Spyke wrote:
Henry wrote:

[W&C]

[...]

There are problems with this, to put it mildly. Firstly, the Waterloo
and City didn't have any other tube lines to connect with when it was
built, because it connected the LSWR with the City, for which reason
it comes pretty much to the surface at both ends and would have to
tunnel down again through significant obstructions.

Secondly, it doesn't point anywhere vaguely in the direction of
Vauxhall. It actually points towards Elephant and Castle, so there
would have to be a big loop.

Paul Scott May 4th 07 08:59 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

"MIG" wrote in message
oups.com...

More deviously, what about running just Bank-Vauxhall(direct) and
Bank-Waterloo only? Would there be sufficient capacity to
turn more trains at Bank?

There are problems with this, to put it mildly. Firstly, the Waterloo
and City didn't have any other tube lines to connect with when it was
built, because it connected the LSWR with the City, for which reason
it comes pretty much to the surface at both ends and would have to
tunnel down again through significant obstructions.

What sort of depth are the Waterloo platforms at, wrt the outside ground
level - presumably they are only just underneath the station undercroft, at
approximately cut and cover level compared to the outside streets?

Paul

Olof Lagerkvist May 4th 07 10:52 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

MIG wrote:

There are problems with this, to put it mildly. Firstly, the Waterloo
and City didn't have any other tube lines to connect with when it was
built, because it connected the LSWR with the City, for which reason
it comes pretty much to the surface at both ends and would have to
tunnel down again through significant obstructions.

Secondly, it doesn't point anywhere vaguely in the direction of
Vauxhall. It actually points towards Elephant and Castle, so there
would have to be a big loop.

Wonder if it would be possible to branch off before the track goes up to
Waterloo and build new tunnels towards Vauxhall. As I have understood it
the W&C Line goes under Stamford Road up to the IMAX Cinema and then
goes up under the Waterloo mainline station so it might be possible as I
can see to branch off under or right before the IMAX.

That would leave the line with two branches of course with trains
running either Bank - Waterloo and Bank - Vauxhall but would that
necessarily be a problem? For such a line I don't think so. I think the
trains would be filled anyway and that not many people getting on at
Vauxhall would find it useful to be able to get off at Waterloo anyway.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Paul Terry May 4th 07 10:54 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

In message , Paul Scott
writes

What sort of depth are the Waterloo platforms at, wrt the outside ground
level - presumably they are only just underneath the station undercroft, at
approximately cut and cover level compared to the outside streets?

Yes. In fact you can see the lines in the depot from the street on the
south side of the station - about 20 feet below ground level, I's say.
--
Paul Terry

MIG May 5th 07 06:38 AM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

On May 4, 11:52 am, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:
MIG wrote:
[...]

I tend to think that nearness to the surface would always be a problem
with extending the Waterloo and City. I think this suggestion would
probably involve going through the Eurostar terminal (although if
that's going to be demolished/redeveloped, who knows). There's also
the LU escalators heading down roughly under the Euro concourse. Just
too much stuff around when you are near the surface.

Clive D. W. Feather May 8th 07 05:59 PM

LU Stock Transfer Lines

In article . com,
" writes
There are no quite lengthly connections, apart from in depots such as
Ruislip which has connections to the Central and Met. The longest one
outside of depots is probably Saint Mary's curve between Aldgate East
and Whitechapel connecting the East London Line to the District,

The St.Mary's Curve is 460m long. The King's Cross Loop is actually
slightly longer, at 490m (in both cases junction-to-junction).

As you say, the only other thing I would count as a link line rather
than just a crossover between tracks is the Ruislip depot link; I don't
have a length for that to hand.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: