London Banter

-   -   Ways to Reduce Vandalism (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/524-ways-reduce-vandalism.html)

Michael Bell August 10th 03 09:42 PM

Ways to Reduce Vandalism

In article , Joe Patrick
wrote:
I was just thinking of 3 ways to reduce vandalism and was wondering of the
practicality.
1) Link the on Board CCTV cameras to a central control room with controls
such as on train PA use (like Scotrail's remote Announcments)
2) Have another person on the train who can watch the cameras, provide
information and check tickets.
3) Probably not a very good idea, but do as they do in New York and
sometimes in Bristol. Use the older vehicles at night and save the better
ones for the day.

Yes. Not only vandalism, but crime in general, such as handbag
snatching. One of the problems is that CCTV needs people watching it
if arrests are to be made in "real time", rather than as evidence
after the event. I wonder if we could use variations in passenger
noise, eg, sudden screams, impact noises, sudden silences, the kind of
thing that makes us human beings look up. The electronics seem fairly
simple, the vehicle runing noise can be simply allowed for on the
basis of speed. If there was a noisy derailment or gearbox failure,
that would also trigger an alarm - a useful extra.

--

Michael Bell

TBirdFrank August 11th 03 11:58 AM

Ways to Reduce Vandalism

Visibility is the only long term answer,and it is a deterrent in
itself, but apprehension of the violators is necessary so that the use
of the means of visibiility is seen to be exercised.

Mind you, if you have ever ridden the Tijuana trolley from San Diego
to the Mexcican border, the grippers have :-

1 A Nightstick
2 A pistol
3 Pepper Spray
4 A ticket Machine and cash bag

There is no vandalism and everyone pays up! Seems the Scwarzzenegger
method works; so how about taking some of those people off the
platforms of Piccadilly station and actually placing them on train to
both assist the present crew and provide some back up along ther
journey

David Hansen August 11th 03 10:12 PM

Ways to Reduce Vandalism

On 11 Aug 2003 04:58:04 -0700 someone who may be
(TBirdFrank) wrote this:-

Visibility is the only long term answer,and it is a deterrent in
itself,

On the last of my rare trips to London I noted how almost all the
rail vehicles I travelled in looked like something from the third
world, daubed with paint and with scratched windows. The exception
was on the Docklands Light Railway, where staff move through the
train checking tickets.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.