London Banter

-   -   TFL Journey Planner - Walking option (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5329-tfl-journey-planner-walking-option.html)

kytelly June 6th 07 01:19 PM

TFL Journey Planner - Walking option

I'm trying to use the journey planner to work out the best walking
routes around London.

However for anything over 1 hour it sometimes claims no route
available, but this is intermittent. I've tried ticking the various
walking only options but to no effect.

Any tips for success here?

Ernst S Blofeld June 6th 07 02:41 PM

kytelly wrote:
I'm trying to use the journey planner to work out the best walking
routes around London.

However for anything over 1 hour it sometimes claims no route
available, but this is intermittent. I've tried ticking the various
walking only options but to no effect.

Any tips for success here?

I think you are pushing at the boundaries of its intended purpose. The
qualities of a 'best walking route' (even for reasons other than
leisure) such as taking quiet streets or passing places with aesthetic,
historical or other appeal are not ones which are embodied in the
journey planner.

Even if these qualities were somehow captured, I believe this is better
left to traditional maps, local knowledge, common sense and serendipity.
There are some aspects of our lives where we should make our own
decisions rather than entrusting them to a supposedly expert system.

ESB

Bob Wood June 6th 07 03:35 PM

TFL Journey Planner - Walking option

In oups.com,
kytelly typed:

I'm trying to use the journey planner to work out the best walking
routes around London.

However for anything over 1 hour it sometimes claims no route
available, but this is intermittent. I've tried ticking the various
walking only options but to no effect.

Any tips for success here?

I've used the journey planner for walks of over an hour on many
occasions in the past without difficulty. I have just asked for a
walking route from Victoria to Kings Cross St Pancras and it has
returned a route which it says will take 1 hour 13 min.

What are the origin and destination points of your desired walk?

--
Bob

John Rowland June 6th 07 06:59 PM

kytelly wrote:
I'm trying to use the journey planner to work out the best walking
routes around London.

However for anything over 1 hour it sometimes claims no route
available, but this is intermittent. I've tried ticking the various
walking only options but to no effect.

Any tips for success here?

It used to be unlimited, and you could get a walking route from Romford to
Uxbridge if you wished. I presume they introduced the limit because they
realised people were using it to calculate driving routes.

Michael R N Dolbear June 6th 07 11:06 PM

TFL Journey Planner - Walking option

John Rowland wrote

kytelly wrote:
I'm trying to use the journey planner to work out the best walking
routes around London.

However for anything over 1 hour it sometimes claims no route
available, but this is intermittent.

It used to be unlimited, and you could get a walking route from

Romford to
Uxbridge if you wished. I presume they introduced the limit because

they
realised people were using it to calculate driving routes.

Try

http://www.transportdirect.info/Tran...Planning/Journ
eyPlannerInput.aspx?cacheparam=4#RouteOptions

which has no need for any such limit since it offers driving routes as
an option ?

Or maybe the South East journey planner :-

http://www.pindar.com/scc/Scripts/Surrey_JP.cgi

--
Mike D

David Cantrell June 7th 07 12:01 PM

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:59:09PM +0100, John Rowland wrote:

It used to be unlimited, and you could get a walking route from Romford to
Uxbridge if you wished. I presume they introduced the limit because they
realised people were using it to calculate driving routes.

Right, because obviously there's nowhere else http://maps.google.co.uk
to get driving routes from.

On the bright side, if sendmail is tied up routing spam and pointless
uknot posts, it's not waving its arse around saying "root me!"
-- Peter Corlett, in uknot

John Rowland June 7th 07 12:24 PM

David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:59:09PM +0100, John Rowland wrote:

It used to be unlimited, and you could get a walking route from
Romford to Uxbridge if you wished. I presume they introduced the
limit because they realised people were using it to calculate
driving routes.

Right, because obviously there's nowhere else
http://maps.google.co.uk to get driving routes from.

Are you mocking TfL or me? If me, I'd like to hear a better explanation for
why the limit was introduced.

kytelly June 7th 07 02:16 PM

TFL Journey Planner - Walking option

On 7 Jun, 13:24, "John Rowland"
wrote:
David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:59:09PM +0100, John Rowland wrote:

It used to be unlimited, and you could get a walking route from
Romford to Uxbridge if you wished. I presume they introduced the
limit because they realised people were using it to calculate
driving routes.

Right, because obviously there's nowhere else
http://maps.google.co.uk to get driving routes from.

Are you mocking TfL or me? If me, I'd like to hear a better explanation for
why the limit was introduced.

Is there an actual set limit? Sometimes I can get a result for a
longish walk (nunhead to Holborn for example) but when I did Holborn
to Wandsworth Town yesterday it said there wasnt a route available.

Colin Rosenstiel June 7th 07 09:25 PM

TFL Journey Planner - Walking option

In article om,
(kytelly) wrote:

On 7 Jun, 13:24, "John Rowland"
wrote:
David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:59:09PM +0100, John Rowland wrote:

It used to be unlimited, and you could get a walking route from
Romford to Uxbridge if you wished. I presume they introduced
the limit because they realised people were using it to calculate
driving routes.

Right, because obviously there's nowhere else
http://maps.google.co.uk to get driving routes from.

Are you mocking TfL or me? If me, I'd like to hear a better
explanation for why the limit was introduced.

Is there an actual set limit? Sometimes I can get a result for a
longish walk (nunhead to Holborn for example) but when I did Holborn
to Wandsworth Town yesterday it said there wasnt a route available.

Isn't there a maximum walk option somewhere in the settings?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

James Farrar June 8th 07 12:19 AM

TFL Journey Planner - Walking option

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 22:25 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article om,
(kytelly) wrote:
Is there an actual set limit? Sometimes I can get a result for a
longish walk (nunhead to Holborn for example) but when I did Holborn
to Wandsworth Town yesterday it said there wasnt a route available.

Isn't there a maximum walk option somewhere in the settings?

It used to be 2 hours. I don't know if it's still in place.