London Banter

-   -   El sections of LU (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5333-el-sections-lu.html)

[email protected] June 8th 07 12:57 AM

El sections of LU

What sections are above street level?

James Farrar June 8th 07 05:23 AM

El sections of LU

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 00:57:55 -0000, "
wrote:

What sections are above street level?

Most of it.

From memory:

Bakerloo north of Queen's Park
Central west of White City and east of Stratford
Circle - none
District west of Earl's Court and east of Bow Road
East London south of Surrey Quays and around Whitechapel
Hammersmith & City west of Paddington and east of Bow Road
Jubilee north of Finchley Road and east of Canning Town
Metropolitan north-west of Finchley Road
Northern north of Golders Green, north of East Finchley and around
Morden
Piccadilly west of Baron's Court and north-east of (???)
Victoria - none
Waterloo & City - none.

Corrections from the group very welcome, of course. Thanks to David
for teaching me what "El" means... :-)

PhilD June 8th 07 07:18 AM

El sections of LU

On Jun 8, 6:23 am, James Farrar wrote:
Piccadilly west of Baron's Court and north-east of (???)

Piccadilly north-east of Arnos Grove (except for a tunnel at
Southgate).

Corrections from the group very welcome, of course. Thanks to David
for teaching me what "El" means... :-)

Well, what DOES it mean?

PhilD

Offramp June 8th 07 07:20 AM

El sections of LU

wrote:
What sections are above street level?

Most of it.

From memory:

Bakerloo north of Queen's Park
Central west of White City and east of Stratford
Circle - none
District west of Earl's Court and east of Bow Road
East London south of Surrey Quays and around Whitechapel
Hammersmith & City west of Paddington and east of Bow Road
Jubilee north of Finchley Road and east of Canning Town
Metropolitan north-west of Finchley Road
Northern north of Golders Green, north of East Finchley and around
Morden
Piccadilly west of Baron's Court and north-east of (???)
Victoria - none
Waterloo & City - none.

Corrections from the group very welcome, of course. Thanks to David
for teaching me what "El" means... :-)

That is well done from memory - but I think he means 'above street
level', like the Chicago EL
I know a few places:
The H+C Line around Ladbroke Grove
The Northern Line near Mill Hill East
The Piccadilly Line around Hounslow.
I am sure there are others.

MIG June 8th 07 07:42 AM

El sections of LU

wrote:
What sections are above street level?

Most of it.

From memory:

[...]

I am sure there are others.- Hide quoted text -

"Elevated"?

District Line through the Putney area.

Peter June 8th 07 07:43 AM

El sections of LU

Assuming EL means ABOVE rather than AT street level, then from memory
there is a section of the Barking to Gospel Oak line around
Walthamstow. Not LU. I know, but part of London's urban rail
network.

I've always wanted to ride on Line 6 of the Paris Metro, but on the
few times I've been to Paris been outvoted by the rest of the family!

Peter

Tim Roll-Pickering June 8th 07 08:22 AM

El sections of LU

peter wrote:

Assuming EL means ABOVE rather than AT street level, then from memory
there is a section of the Barking to Gospel Oak line around
Walthamstow. Not LU. I know, but part of London's urban rail
network.

A lot of the Goblin is elevated - it was built through already populated
areas.

[email protected] June 8th 07 09:27 AM

El sections of LU

On Jun 8, 1:57 am, "
wrote:
What sections are above street level?

You have to go up to the platforms at Upminster Bridge tube station.

Jonn

Tom Anderson June 8th 07 10:56 AM

El sections of LU

wrote:
What sections are above street level?

Most of it.

That is well done from memory - but I think he means 'above street
level', like the Chicago EL

I think so too.

The H+C Line around Ladbroke Grove

Is the Central elevated somewhere out west as well?

The Northern Line near Mill Hill East

And in Golders Green.

The Met's up in the air at Hillingdon, isn't it?

The District line goes through Walford on a viaduct, but i'm not sure that
counts.

tom

--
Scheme is simple and elegant *if you're a computer*.

Recliner June 8th 07 11:17 AM

El sections of LU

ps.com

wrote:
What sections are above street level?

Most of it.

From memory:

[...]

It's rare for London Underground lines to run at street level,
particularly at stations. So, the non-underground sections (more than
half the network) are almost entirely elevated (ie, on viaducts) or in
cuttings, probably more of the former than the latter.

They can switch quite rapidly. For example, the Picc is on a viaduct at
Alperton, drops to a rare ground level station at Sudbury Town, is in a
cutting by Sudbury Hill, is back on a viaduct by South Harrow and is in
a shallow cutting by Rayner's Lane (actually, it's more of a case of the
roads being raised above it).