Old June 13th 07, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Travelcard & National Rail

asdf wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:19:22 +0100, Mystery Flyer wrote:

Zones 2-5 you'll take the more frequent trains to Clapham Junction and
then change to the frequent trains to Wimbledon.

Precisely. Why go to the Zone 6 backwater when the lovely fast SWT
trains to CLJ connect pretty well with the considerably more grotty SWT
Wimbledon trains.

Also do you *need* a travelcard? My journey to Richmond has a non
travelcard "Not London" fare and season ticket price considerably
cheaper.. I'd consider buying the odd buss pass/bag of saver tickets
when I need them and save a few quid.

Unfortunately there is no point-to-point NR season available for this
journey.

However, after a bit of digging, there's one available from Kew
Gardens to Wimbledon at £60.70 for a monthly. Valid routes for this
are Kew Gardens - Richmond - Twickenham - Hounslow - Brentford -
Clapham Junction - Wimbledon (which covers the Twickenham-Richmond
part), and Kew Gardens - Richmond - Mortlake - Clapham Junction -
Wimbledon (which covers the rest).

Technically, it doesn't appear to be valid via Kingston, although a
ticket inspector (who is unlikely to know this) would probably give
you the benefit of the doubt, as it's a fairly 'obvious' route
(because it involves the least number of changes).

Is it the shortest route? Then it should be allowed.
--
Michael Hoffman

Old June 13th 07, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 13, 9:58 am, Michael Hoffman wrote:
Technically, it doesn't appear to be valid via Kingston, although a
ticket inspector (who is unlikely to know this) would probably give
you the benefit of the doubt, as it's a fairly 'obvious' route
(because it involves the least number of changes).

Is it the shortest route? Then it should be allowed.

According to a recent thread on uk.railway, anything the online
journey planner outputs is a permitted route, and it allows Kew-
Wimbledon via Kingston, so unless the season is specially restricted
it should be valid.

Old June 13th 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 13, 1:54 am, asdf wrote:
[...]

Twickenham is gated. So not too sure if a Kew Gardens bought ticket
will open the gates.

Kew Gardens being on the NLL will be joining the zonal fare system
anyway.
So you might find that ticket is not available anymore.

A.

Old June 13th 07, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:58:39 +0100, Michael Hoffman wrote:

Unfortunately there is no point-to-point NR season available for this
journey.

However, after a bit of digging, there's one available from Kew
Gardens to Wimbledon at £60.70 for a monthly. Valid routes for this
are Kew Gardens - Richmond - Twickenham - Hounslow - Brentford -
Clapham Junction - Wimbledon (which covers the Twickenham-Richmond
part), and Kew Gardens - Richmond - Mortlake - Clapham Junction -
Wimbledon (which covers the rest).

Technically, it doesn't appear to be valid via Kingston, although a
ticket inspector (who is unlikely to know this) would probably give
you the benefit of the doubt, as it's a fairly 'obvious' route
(because it involves the least number of changes).

Is it the shortest route? Then it should be allowed.

It's not the shortest route. It's 11 miles 40 chains, while the route
via Clapham Junction is 10 miles 37 chains.
Old June 13th 07, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 03:36:44 -0700, Londoncityslicker wrote:

Unfortunately there is no point-to-point NR season available for this
journey.

However, after a bit of digging, there's one available from Kew
Gardens to Wimbledon at £60.70 for a monthly.

Twickenham is gated. So not too sure if a Kew Gardens bought ticket
will open the gates.

In that case the staff should let the holder through. Refusal would be
a legitimate cause for complaint, although if there's constant hassle
it might not be worth it depending on how keen one is to save a few
quid.

Kew Gardens being on the NLL will be joining the zonal fare system
anyway.
So you might find that ticket is not available anymore.

In that case the fallback option would be a Twickenham to South Merton
season, which is a fair bit pricier at £76.10, but still saves £13.00
on a Z2-5 or Z3-6 Travelcard (and is definitely valid via both
Kingston and Clapham Junction).

Old June 13th 07, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote

a) On national rail (where pre-pay is not yet valid) Oyster

readers are
often provided at (gated) London Termini but not at suburban

stations.

More likely the other way round on SWT, where Waterloo has no gates
but many suburban stations do (not just the ones shared by LU).

Not 'many'. SWT states (in the free mag anyway) that they only have 19
barriered stations. Clapham Junction may not be 'theirs' but most of
the ones I am aware of are not 'suburban' or only technically so
(Woking, Bracknell, Farnborough, Windsor & Eton Riverside).

--
Mike D

Old June 13th 07, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jun 13, 9:19 pm, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
MIG wrote

a) On national rail (where pre-pay is not yet valid) Oyster

readers are
often provided at (gated) London Termini but not at suburban

stations.

More likely the other way round on SWT, where Waterloo has no gates
but many suburban stations do (not just the ones shared by LU).

Not 'many'. SWT states (in the free mag anyway) that they only have 19
barriered stations. Clapham Junction may not be 'theirs' but most of
the ones I am aware of are not 'suburban' or only technically so
(Woking, Bracknell, Farnborough, Windsor & Eton Riverside).

I spose my main point was that Waterloo hasn't got gates, so it's 100%
non-touching at the main terminus.

Old June 13th 07, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On Jun 13, 9:19 pm, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
MIG wrote

a) On national rail (where pre-pay is not yet valid) Oyster
readers are often provided at (gated) London Termini but not at
suburban stations.

More likely the other way round on SWT, where Waterloo has no
gates but many suburban stations do (not just the ones shared by
LU).

Not 'many'. SWT states (in the free mag anyway) that they only
have 19 barriered stations. Clapham Junction may not be 'theirs'
but most of the ones I am aware of are not 'suburban' or only
technically so (Woking, Bracknell, Farnborough, Windsor & Eton
Riverside).

I spose my main point was that Waterloo hasn't got gates, so it's
100% non-touching at the main terminus.

Not quite. When I caught a train from there last Saturday, they were
checking tickets on entry to the platforms (well, platform 16 anyway),
and I had to touch in on a portable Oyster reader held by an SWT guy.
--
Richard J.

Old June 14th 07, 12:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jun 14, 12:18 am, "Richard J." wrote:
MIG wrote:
[...]

Can that ever count as a touching in or out though? I think they just
check the current status.