London Banter

-   -   North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5403-north-london-line-goes-4-a.html)

[email protected] July 6th 07 01:38 AM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Jul 5, 12:24 am, "Richard J." wrote:

I agree. A quick measurement on Google Earth of the westbound/down
platform, which is on the inside of the curve and therefore with less
room for extension, shows the current platform as about 72 m long, but
with room for expansion to at least 200 m before the gap between the
tracks gets too narrow for an island platform.

If you view the station on MS Live Local or Flashearth you will find
each platform conveniently occupied by a 313. You'll also see that
things don't appear to be quite as bad as has been suggested.

Paul Scott July 6th 07 08:24 AM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Mojo wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what signaling problems would affect the use
of SDO, such as not releasing the doors in the rear coach?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that, was I? Willesden Junction will only
hold three cars. With four car units it would not be possible to pull
forward such that the inner sets of doors in the leading and trailing
cars were at the platform and the other sets cut out because of the
position of the station starting signal at the end of the platform. Either
that would need to be relocated or otherwise both sets of doors on the
rear car would have to be cut out (as that would be off the platform) -
not very desirable or customer friendly.

Doesn't SDO require the guard and driver to be able to get out onto the
platform, so having the front car off the platform may not be an acceptable
solution even if the signal could be moved.

Paul

Mojo July 6th 07 11:35 AM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

Doesn't SDO require the guard and driver to be able to get out onto the
platform, so having the front car off the platform may not be an acceptable
solution even if the signal could be moved.

I was under the Impression

Mojo July 6th 07 11:37 AM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

Doesn't SDO require the guard and driver to be able to get out onto the
platform, so having the front car off the platform may not be an acceptable
solution even if the signal could be moved.

I was under the impression that they were planning to get rid of guards
on the NLL. Although that wouldn't help the driver, might certaintly help.

I'm guessing rules on LU are different, as there's a station on the
Northern Line IIRC where the front set of doors are not opened.

Paul Scott July 6th 07 11:48 AM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

"Mojo" wrote in message
. uk...
Doesn't SDO require the guard and driver to be able to get out onto the
platform, so having the front car off the platform may not be an
acceptable solution even if the signal could be moved.

I was under the impression that they were planning to get rid of guards on
the NLL. Although that wouldn't help the driver, might certaintly help.

I'm guessing rules on LU are different, as there's a station on the
Northern Line IIRC where the front set of doors are not opened.

I think the key thing is that new operations have to conform to current
rules. I think the end door stuff on the Northern line goes back quite a
while. Is the cab beyond the platform end, or is their one of those narrow
walkways for the driver, beyond the public area of the platform?

Matt Forbes July 6th 07 01:22 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

If the Goblin diesel fleet takes over the WLL service, and the
Bakerloo takes over the Watford DC, there should be a surplus of 378s
for the NLL.

If the Bakerloo does take over running between Harrow & Wealdstone and
Watford Junction, what would happen to the Queen's Park to Euston DC
section? Would this become a self-contained shuttle, would Bakerloo
trains run into the LMR terminus, or would the service simply be
abandoned?

Paul Scott July 6th 07 01:30 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

"Matt Forbes" wrote in message
oups.com...
If the Goblin diesel fleet takes over the WLL service, and the
Bakerloo takes over the Watford DC, there should be a surplus of 378s
for the NLL.

If the Bakerloo does take over running between Harrow & Wealdstone and
Watford Junction, what would happen to the Queen's Park to Euston DC
section? Would this become a self-contained shuttle, would Bakerloo
trains run into the LMR terminus, or would the service simply be
abandoned?

Trains would run from Queens Park through Kilburn High Road, South
Hampstead, and then divert through Primrose Hill tunnel to Camden Rd, and
thence to Stratford. There is a disused station at Primrose Hill that could
be opened too.

Paul

Matt Forbes July 6th 07 02:15 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

Trains would run from Queens Park through Kilburn High Road, South
Hampstead, and then divert through Primrose Hill tunnel to Camden Rd, and
thence to Stratford. There is a disused station at Primrose Hill that could
be opened too.

Would this mean that Euston loses the DC service, or will the
infrastructure be able to cope with the current EUS-WAT services, as
well as services through Primrose Hill etc.?

Paul Scott July 6th 07 02:20 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

"Matt Forbes" wrote in message
oups.com...
Trains would run from Queens Park through Kilburn High Road, South
Hampstead, and then divert through Primrose Hill tunnel to Camden Rd, and
thence to Stratford. There is a disused station at Primrose Hill that
could
be opened too.

Would this mean that Euston loses the DC service, or will the
infrastructure be able to cope with the current EUS-WAT services, as
well as services through Primrose Hill etc.?

I think the various bits of TfL info on the www suggests there will be no
service into Euston on the DC lines - whether or not the third rail is
retained for diversions etc is another question of course.

Paul

asdf July 6th 07 04:08 PM

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 23:00:54 GMT, Jack Taylor wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what signaling problems would affect the use
of SDO, such as not releasing the doors in the rear coach?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that, was I? Willesden Junction will only hold
three cars.

....in the eastbound direction. The westbound platform is long enough
for 4 cars.

Bob July 6th 07 05:29 PM

paul wrote in response to the question:
Would this mean that Euston loses the DC service, or will the
infrastructure be able to cope with the current EUS-WAT services, as
well as services through Primrose Hill etc.?

I think the various bits of TfL info on the www suggests there will be no
service into Euston on the DC lines - whether or not the third rail is
retained for diversions etc is another question of course.

Diverting the Watford LNWR DC lines to the Bakerloo will increase
capacity by using 7(albeit tube gauge) cars on the Watford London
corridor as opposed the 313/508 3 and 6 car mix For existing
passengers to Euston and beyond - changes at Baker Street for existing
Circle/Metroplitan transit passengers and Oxford Circus or Green Park
for almost every other tube interchange.

Paths will be freed from Camden Junction to Euston and then rebuilding
Euston platforms 9 and 10 in line with the overall rebuilding the
station could take place. The probable result would be fewer but
longer platforms at Euston more suited to 12 car outer surburban or
Pendolino operation.

NLL Termination on platform 1 at Queens Park in the southbound morning
peak to platform 4 in the northbound evening peak to facilitate cross
platforminterchange needs a facing crossover south of Queens Park but
personally I think non conflicting termination at Willesden DC bay
platform 2 is a better option - filling in the vacant space to allow
access/egress from both sides ala White City is better.

Paul Scott July 6th 07 05:39 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Terminating at WJ LL also allows those who got on the wrong train at
stations east of Camden Rd to recover the situation!

Is terminating at Queens Park to allow a full Bakerloo service beyond, as
currently a proportion of Bakerloo trains terminate there?

Paul

Bob July 6th 07 06:01 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Jul 6, 6:39 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Terminating at WJ LL also allows those who got on the wrong train at
stations east of Camden Rd to recover the situation!

Is terminating at Queens Park to allow a full Bakerloo service beyond, as currently a proportion of Bakerloo trains terminate there?

Can't remember where I read it but AIUI yes - there will be a full
peak hour Bakerloo Service north of Oueens Park. Queens Park will
provide
flexibility to stable offpeak and enable short turn back runs to meet
inner London traffic requirements - ala Willesden Green/ Whitecity/
Liverpool Street etc. Again new stock on the Bakerloo will be
necessary to effect the change.

Nick Pedley July 8th 07 06:46 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Mojo" wrote in message
. uk...
Doesn't SDO require the guard and driver to be able to get out onto the
platform, so having the front car off the platform may not be an
acceptable solution even if the signal could be moved.

I was under the impression that they were planning to get rid of guards
on the NLL. Although that wouldn't help the driver, might certaintly
help.

I'm guessing rules on LU are different, as there's a station on the
Northern Line IIRC where the front set of doors are not opened.

I think the key thing is that new operations have to conform to current
rules. I think the end door stuff on the Northern line goes back quite a
while. Is the cab beyond the platform end, or is their one of those narrow
walkways for the driver, beyond the public area of the platform?

IIRC this is Leicester Square or Charing Cross.
"On arrival at the next station, the first set of doors in the first
carriage will not open. Passengers in the First carriage should move to the
rear of the train in order to leave" (or something like that!).
This operates in both directions and I think the platforms are simply too
narrow at that point, there being some structure on the platform.
As these are the doors closest to the drivers cab it isn't too hard for them
to look out and check. Not only that but the actual required stopping point
is clearly marked on the tunnel wall.

Nick

JL July 8th 07 07:41 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On 8 Jul, 19:46, "Nick Pedley"
wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Mojo" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

I thought it was the rear 2 doors in the final car? Possibly both..

MIG July 9th 07 04:10 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Jul 8, 8:41 pm, JL wrote:
On 8 Jul, 19:46, "Nick Pedley"

wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Mojo" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

I thought it was the rear 2 doors in the final car? Possibly both..- Hide quoted text -

In the rush hour it is physically impossible to get out at Charing
Cross if you forgetfully get on at the back going south.

I have been caught out more than once and had to go on to Waterloo
instead. I don't think it's necessary, since the last doors are well
within the platform.

In the case of the two young tourists with cases who found themselves
trapped on one of those occasions (and behind whom I was therefore
trapped), forgetfulness doesn't come into it, and it's another great
welcome to London.

Peter Lawrence July 11th 07 05:05 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:08:46 +0100, asdf
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 23:00:54 GMT, Jack Taylor wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what signaling problems would affect the use
of SDO, such as not releasing the doors in the rear coach?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that, was I? Willesden Junction will only hold
three cars.

...in the eastbound direction. The westbound platform is long enough
for 4 cars.

Looking at the real station rather than Quail, the westbound platform
holds about 3.5 coaches (313 length) and then the front of the train
would be beyond the (down) signal. So lengthening the platform will
be necessary.

Incidentally it looks as though the eastbound platform was originally
about the same length, extending on to the DC line bridge, but has
since been shortened.

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??
--
Peter Lawrence

Peter Masson July 11th 07 05:18 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

"Peter Lawrence" wrote

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??

Weren't 501s 3-car sets? After them, there was a period when 2EPBs were
used, but AFAIK they were only used as 2-car trains on the NLL. 6-car 501s
were used on the Broad Street - Watford Junction route, but they used
Willesden Junction New, not HL.

Peter

Jack Taylor July 11th 07 06:12 PM

Peter Lawrence wrote:

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??

The 501s were also three-car sets. There were, of course, the 2-car 2-EPBs
(class 416) in the interim - I don't remember any booked four car formations
BICBW.

Charles Ellson July 11th 07 10:45 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:18:34 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??

Weren't 501s 3-car sets? After them, there was a period when 2EPBs were
used, but AFAIK they were only used as 2-car trains on the NLL. 6-car 501s
were used on the Broad Street - Watford Junction route, but they used
Willesden Junction New, not HL.

501s were 3-coach sets of "sawn-off" 57ft stock as were their LMS
predecessors (and the original LNWR stock?).

Charles Ellson July 11th 07 10:49 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:12:53 GMT, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

Peter Lawrence wrote:

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??

The 501s were also three-car sets. There were, of course, the 2-car 2-EPBs
(class 416) in the interim - I don't remember any booked four car formations
BICBW.

IIRC the 2-EPBs were 63ft coaches. As a number of NLL platforms had
been shortened some years previously to leave only enough sound
structure for 3x57ft 501s and some of those ex-platform areas had new
structures within them there would have been difficulty in using
2x2EPBs at many stations.

asdf July 11th 07 11:40 PM

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:05:44 GMT, Peter Lawrence wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that, was I? Willesden Junction will only hold
three cars.

...in the eastbound direction. The westbound platform is long enough
for 4 cars.

Looking at the real station rather than Quail, the westbound platform
holds about 3.5 coaches (313 length) and then the front of the train
would be beyond the (down) signal. So lengthening the platform will
be necessary.

Incidentally it looks as though the eastbound platform was originally
about the same length, extending on to the DC line bridge, but has
since been shortened.

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??

I think it was meant to be 313s. My figure was from the following
post, whose source was Quail:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....2c8217ccf81a95

Jack Taylor July 11th 07 11:45 PM

asdf wrote:

I think it was meant to be 313s. My figure was from the following
post, whose source was Quail:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....2c8217ccf81a95

But what would be the point, seeing as there is no such thing as a four-car
313?

asdf July 11th 07 11:50 PM

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:45:24 GMT, Jack Taylor wrote:

I think it was meant to be 313s. My figure was from the following
post, whose source was Quail:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....2c8217ccf81a95

But what would be the point, seeing as there is no such thing as a four-car
313?

I suppose it depends whether the new build of stock has the same coach
length as the 313.

MIG July 12th 07 12:06 AM

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....g/7b2c8217ccf8...

But what would be the point, seeing as there is no such thing as a four-car
313?

I suppose it depends whether the new build of stock has the same coach
length as the 313.

Or take a spare trailer from the 315s if they are soon to be
withdrawn, or from the spare 508s which are already being withdrawn.

Bill Hayles July 12th 07 08:03 AM

wrote:

Weren't 501s 3-car sets? After them, there was a period when 2EPBs were
used, but AFAIK they were only used as 2-car trains on the NLL. 6-car 501s
were used on the Broad Street - Watford Junction route, but they used
Willesden Junction New, not HL.

They were also used Broad Street to Richmond in the peaks, as was the
previous stock (GEC and Oerlikon RIP).

--
Bill Hayles
http://www.rossrail.com

Jack Taylor July 12th 07 09:24 AM

MIG wrote:
On Jul 12, 12:50 am, asdf wrote:

I suppose it depends whether the new build of stock has the same
coach length as the 313.

Ah - so not actually meant for the 313s after all. ;-)

Or take a spare trailer from the 315s if they are soon to be
withdrawn, or from the spare 508s which are already being withdrawn.

The 315s are not likely to go anywhere before Crossrail happens, by which
time the 313s will have gone from the North London lines. There are no
withdrawn 508s anywhere. Southeastern have put half-a-dozen sets into warm
store but still can't squeeze enough out of the rest of their fleet to get
rid of the other half-a-dozen. With the increase in ridership back in their
spiritual home, Merseyrail are apparently itching to get their hands back on
any spare sets when they go off-lease back to the RoSCo.

sweek July 12th 07 07:11 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

Can't remember where I read it but AIUI yes - there will be a full
peak hour Bakerloo Service north of Oueens Park. Queens Park will
provide
flexibility to stable offpeak and enable short turn back runs to meet
inner London traffic requirements - ala Willesden Green/ Whitecity/
Liverpool Street etc. Again new stock on the Bakerloo will be
necessary to effect the change.

Which is what the old Victoria Line stock will be used for. It all
makes sense, really. It's just going to take a bit of time.

D7666 July 12th 07 08:42 PM

wrote:
(class 416) in the interim - I don't remember any booked four car formations
BICBW.

structures within them there would have been difficulty in using
2x2EPBs at many stations.

nickpick at extreme levels of nit-pickery

For the 1988 Docklands concert of Jean Michel Jarre the NLL ran 4 car
trains of both 2x2EPB and 4EPB.

/ nickpick at extreme levels of nit-pickery

:o)

Unable to resist posting that.

--
Nick

D7666 July 12th 07 08:44 PM

On Jul 12, 12:11 pm, sweek wrote:

Which is what the old Victoria Line stock will be used for.

Where have you got that gen from ?

--
Nick

Mr Thant July 12th 07 10:12 PM

On 12 Jul, 21:44, D7666 wrote:
On Jul 12, 12:11 pm, sweek wrote:
Which is what the old Victoria Line stock will be used for.

Where have you got that gen from ?

I'd imagine Always Touch Out, same as the rest of us. I'm not aware of
it appearing in any official documents though.

If the Bakerloo Line is extended to Watford Junction (which is
official policy), it will need extra stock, and the Victoria Line
stock is the logical choice (same design, available the right time).
So there's a fair chance of happenning.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/

Jack Taylor July 12th 07 10:12 PM

D7666 wrote:

For the 1988 Docklands concert of Jean Michel Jarre the NLL ran 4 car
trains of both 2x2EPB and 4EPB.

Unable to resist posting that.

I didn't ride the EPBs but I was at the gig! It peed down for most of the
evening and it required a mega-move after the gig, by coach back to Reading,
up to Harrogate for a few hours kip (aquaplaning up the M1) and then across
to York for my god-daughter's christening the following morning. Then back
down south that night.

sweek July 12th 07 10:19 PM

On 12 Jul, 21:44, D7666 wrote:
On Jul 12, 12:11 pm, sweek wrote:

Which is what the old Victoria Line stock will be used for.

Where have you got that gen from ?

--
Nick

Can't find that exact information right now, but page 85 here mentions
the Bakerloo re-extension and the "reconfiguration and refushbishment
of existing stock". I've read and heard it in other places, too,
though, but can't seem to find the information right now. It does make
perfect sense to me.

sweek July 12th 07 10:21 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

Ah, from http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/43

Initially, TfL may substitute the current trains running the Euston -
Watford service (aged Class 313 and Class 508 trains) with some
(modified) stock cascaded from the Victoria line after that line
receives its new trains. The Victoria line stock is similar to the
Bakerloo line fleet, and the two could be merged fairly easily later
on (see below).

Services would continue to operate as now (6tph Bakerloo and 3tph
Watford DC) but Watford DC trains would be longer (six or seven cars).

Bakerloo Line (re-)extension
TfL eventually plan to re-extend the Bakerloo line from Harrow &
Wealdstone to Watford Junction, replacing the Watford DC services
between Watford Junction and Euston. Bakerloo line services would run
every 10 minutes to Watford, an improvement on the current 20-minute
frequency to Euston. [TfL: T2025 report]

Kilburn High Road and South Hampstead would cease to be served by
direct trains to central London, but would gain services to Camden and
Stratford as part of the proposed Queen\'s Park to Stratford service,
which would run every 15 minutes.

The cost savings from cutting the Silverlink service to Euston would
be used to fund capacity improvements for the North London Line.

Peter Masson July 12th 07 10:32 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

"sweek" wrote

Initially, TfL may substitute the current trains running the Euston -
Watford service (aged Class 313 and Class 508 trains) with some
(modified) stock cascaded from the Victoria line after that line
receives its new trains.

i.e. substituting aged (30-year-old) Class 313 and 508 trains with modern
(40-year old) Victoria line stock.

Peter

John Tattersall July 12th 07 10:33 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

"sweek" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ah, from http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/43

Initially, TfL may substitute the current trains running the Euston -
Watford service (aged Class 313 and Class 508 trains) with some
(modified) stock cascaded from the Victoria line after that line
receives its new trains. The Victoria line stock is similar to the
Bakerloo line fleet, and the two could be merged fairly easily later
on (see below).

Yes, but haven't TfL ordered part of the Electrostar fleet for use on the DC
lines out of Euston? There are 24 sets on order for the North London routes,
to replace, IIRC, 26 Class 313/508 sets. With the benefits of higher
availability of new EMUs that looks like a straight replacement - or is
there to be an increase in frequency on the North London part of the
Overground?

D7666 July 12th 07 11:39 PM

On Jul 12, 3:12 pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:

I didn't ride the EPBs but I was at the gig!

Ditto.

--
Nick

D7666 July 12th 07 11:44 PM

On Jul 12, 3:21 pm, sweek wrote:
(modified) stock cascaded from the Victoria line after that line
receives its new trains. The Victoria line stock is similar to the
Bakerloo line fleet, and the two could be merged fairly easily later
on (see below).

I'm not sure this is the current plan.

I can't at the moment find out why I think this but I am under the
impression the Bakerloo changes come in with new Bakerloo line trains
(that have yet to be ordered).

I don't think shifting c.45 year old - as they will be by the time
they are released - Victoria line ATO stock to a non ATO line is
really a runner is it ?

--
Nick

asdf July 13th 07 02:37 AM

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:33:04 +0100, John Tattersall wrote:

Initially, TfL may substitute the current trains running the Euston -
Watford service (aged Class 313 and Class 508 trains) with some
(modified) stock cascaded from the Victoria line after that line
receives its new trains. The Victoria line stock is similar to the
Bakerloo line fleet, and the two could be merged fairly easily later
on (see below).

Yes, but haven't TfL ordered part of the Electrostar fleet for use on the DC
lines out of Euston?

I think so, but I don't think they've explicitly said so.

There are 24 sets on order for the North London routes,
to replace, IIRC, 26 Class 313/508 sets. With the benefits of higher
availability of new EMUs that looks like a straight replacement - or is
there to be an increase in frequency on the North London part of the
Overground?

You're right about 26 units being replaced by 24. However it's
difficult to make a direct comparison as AFAIK the plans are still
being finalised (the order for the 4th cars only recently went in) and
TfL and Network Rail have slightly different sets of aspirations, and
the number of units required could vary depending on things like the
increase in frequency on the WLL, the introduction and frequency of
the Queens Park - Stratford service, the possible switch to diesel
stock for the WLL (with through running to Barking), whether London
Overground stock is used for the Abbey Flyer, etc.

asdf July 13th 07 02:44 AM

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:44:09 -0700, D7666 wrote:

(modified) stock cascaded from the Victoria line after that line
receives its new trains. The Victoria line stock is similar to the
Bakerloo line fleet, and the two could be merged fairly easily later
on (see below).

I'm not sure this is the current plan.

I can't at the moment find out why I think this but I am under the
impression the Bakerloo changes come in with new Bakerloo line trains
(that have yet to be ordered).

I don't think shifting c.45 year old - as they will be by the time
they are released - Victoria line ATO stock to a non ATO line is
really a runner is it ?

I don't think the ATO thing is an issue - Victoria Line trains are
already capable of being driven manually, and can be equipped with
tripcocks for when they need to travel over other lines (e.g. to reach
the works at Acton). Presumably they would just need to be equipped
with conventional power/brake handles, and have a trailer removed to
reduce them to 7 cars.