London Banter

-   -   North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5403-north-london-line-goes-4-a.html)

Charles Ellson July 11th 07 10:49 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:12:53 GMT, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

Peter Lawrence wrote:

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??

The 501s were also three-car sets. There were, of course, the 2-car 2-EPBs
(class 416) in the interim - I don't remember any booked four car formations
BICBW.

IIRC the 2-EPBs were 63ft coaches. As a number of NLL platforms had
been shortened some years previously to leave only enough sound
structure for 3x57ft 501s and some of those ex-platform areas had new
structures within them there would have been difficulty in using
2x2EPBs at many stations.

asdf July 11th 07 11:40 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:05:44 GMT, Peter Lawrence wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that, was I? Willesden Junction will only hold
three cars.

...in the eastbound direction. The westbound platform is long enough
for 4 cars.

Looking at the real station rather than Quail, the westbound platform
holds about 3.5 coaches (313 length) and then the front of the train
would be beyond the (down) signal. So lengthening the platform will
be necessary.

Incidentally it looks as though the eastbound platform was originally
about the same length, extending on to the DC line bridge, but has
since been shortened.

Which coaches were short enough that 4 of them would fit in here -
class 501 perhaps??

I think it was meant to be 313s. My figure was from the following
post, whose source was Quail:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....2c8217ccf81a95

Jack Taylor July 11th 07 11:45 PM

asdf wrote:

I think it was meant to be 313s. My figure was from the following
post, whose source was Quail:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....2c8217ccf81a95

But what would be the point, seeing as there is no such thing as a four-car
313?

asdf July 11th 07 11:50 PM

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:45:24 GMT, Jack Taylor wrote:

I think it was meant to be 313s. My figure was from the following
post, whose source was Quail:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....2c8217ccf81a95

But what would be the point, seeing as there is no such thing as a four-car
313?

I suppose it depends whether the new build of stock has the same coach
length as the 313.

MIG July 12th 07 12:06 AM

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....g/7b2c8217ccf8...

But what would be the point, seeing as there is no such thing as a four-car
313?

I suppose it depends whether the new build of stock has the same coach
length as the 313.

Or take a spare trailer from the 315s if they are soon to be
withdrawn, or from the spare 508s which are already being withdrawn.

Bill Hayles July 12th 07 08:03 AM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:18:34 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

Weren't 501s 3-car sets? After them, there was a period when 2EPBs were
used, but AFAIK they were only used as 2-car trains on the NLL. 6-car 501s
were used on the Broad Street - Watford Junction route, but they used
Willesden Junction New, not HL.

They were also used Broad Street to Richmond in the peaks, as was the
previous stock (GEC and Oerlikon RIP).

--
Bill Hayles
http://www.rossrail.com

Jack Taylor July 12th 07 09:24 AM

MIG wrote:
On Jul 12, 12:50 am, asdf wrote:

I suppose it depends whether the new build of stock has the same
coach length as the 313.

Ah - so not actually meant for the 313s after all. ;-)

Or take a spare trailer from the 315s if they are soon to be
withdrawn, or from the spare 508s which are already being withdrawn.

The 315s are not likely to go anywhere before Crossrail happens, by which
time the 313s will have gone from the North London lines. There are no
withdrawn 508s anywhere. Southeastern have put half-a-dozen sets into warm
store but still can't squeeze enough out of the rest of their fleet to get
rid of the other half-a-dozen. With the increase in ridership back in their
spiritual home, Merseyrail are apparently itching to get their hands back on
any spare sets when they go off-lease back to the RoSCo.

sweek July 12th 07 07:11 PM

North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

Can't remember where I read it but AIUI yes - there will be a full
peak hour Bakerloo Service north of Oueens Park. Queens Park will
provide
flexibility to stable offpeak and enable short turn back runs to meet
inner London traffic requirements - ala Willesden Green/ Whitecity/
Liverpool Street etc. Again new stock on the Bakerloo will be
necessary to effect the change.

Which is what the old Victoria Line stock will be used for. It all
makes sense, really. It's just going to take a bit of time.

D7666 July 12th 07 08:42 PM

wrote:
(class 416) in the interim - I don't remember any booked four car formations
BICBW.

structures within them there would have been difficulty in using
2x2EPBs at many stations.

nickpick at extreme levels of nit-pickery

For the 1988 Docklands concert of Jean Michel Jarre the NLL ran 4 car
trains of both 2x2EPB and 4EPB.

/ nickpick at extreme levels of nit-pickery

:o)

Unable to resist posting that.

--
Nick

D7666 July 12th 07 08:44 PM

On Jul 12, 12:11 pm, sweek wrote:

Which is what the old Victoria Line stock will be used for.

Where have you got that gen from ?

--
Nick