Old August 3rd 07, 02:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London vs New York

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, David of Broadway wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, David of Broadway wrote:

The statements about your lack of express services were probably
referring to the Underground, where they're largely accurate, except
on the western Piccadilly and Metropolitan.

Strictly speaking, that're true, but my point was that NR trains act
as expresses for LU lines in some situations. For example, the Great
Northern from King's Cross, which only has stations north of Finsbury
Park (if you forget about Moorgate and all that) is the express
service of the northeastern Piccadilly. The London, Tilbury and
Southend line is the express service of the eastern District. Other
lines don't have such close correspondence to LU lines, but often
serve overlapping areas at the edge of town, providing a quicker
service in.

And we in New York have the LIRR between Jamaica and Penn Station and
Metro-North between various points in the Bronx and Grand Central.
(Granted, the subway has substantially lower fares.)

Absolutely. I wasn't for a moment trying to imply that London had
something that New York didn't - perish the thought!

London has lots of things that New York doesn't!

Just that it
doesn't give a complete view to say that London has no expresses, as
this implies that wherever you are, you're looking at a
one-stop-each-and-every-500-metres ride into town.

Agreed completely.

Yes, yes, i'm not debating the superiority of the NYC system. Merely
making an observation about London!

I don't think NYC's system is necessarily superior in all ways. For
instance, it's been mentioned in this thread that NYC's route structure
can be quite confusing.

I really do wish we had the kind of robustness multi-tracking affords,
though. Even bidirectional signalling and a few more crossovers would be
something.

Yes, I certainly agree with that. It seems like whenever there's the
slightest problem anywhere along a line, the entire line breaks down.
(OK, I'm probably exaggerating a bit.)

But on the flip side, your system is MUCH better at publicizing
information regarding service outages.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Old August 6th 07, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 07:49:56AM -0400, David of Broadway wrote:

But the Underground map doesn't show distances at street level!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/colourmap.pdf does, for at least
Covent Garden, Embankment, and Euston Square.

If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
and egg whites, whisk, and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.
Old August 6th 07, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Wood wrote:
Ian Jelf wrote:

I don't think they actually close Coventry Garden on Saturday
afternoons any more, do they? (Checks TfL site: no they don't; the
Tube Map simply states that the station gets very busy and
suggests alternatives.)

Covent Garden is 'Way Out only' at all times until the end of the
year.

Whereas Coventry Garden is *way* out!

Old August 7th 07, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Bob Wood wrote:
Ian Jelf wrote:

I don't think they actually close Coventry Garden on Saturday
afternoons any more, do they? (Checks TfL site: no they don't; the
Tube Map simply states that the station gets very busy and
suggests alternatives.)

Covent Garden is 'Way Out only' at all times until the end of the
year.

Whereas Coventry Garden is *way* out!

Oops!

****Ing Spell Checkers!