London Banter

-   -   Underground station sight gag (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5554-underground-station-sight-gag.html)

Jarle H Knudsen August 14th 07 10:46 AM

Underground station sight gag

http://www.allowe.com/Humor/sightgagbrowser.php?j=1128

Is this sight gag from a London underground station?

--
jhk

Sarah Brown August 14th 07 11:07 AM

Underground station sight gag

In article ,
Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
http://www.allowe.com/Humor/sightgagbrowser.php?j=1128

Is this sight gag from a London underground station?

No - the power rail is DLR third rail style, rather than Underground
4th rail style. I don't know if it's a DLR station - might not be
London at all.

asdf August 14th 07 11:11 AM

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:46:10 +0200, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

http://www.allowe.com/Humor/sightgagbrowser.php?j=1128

Is this sight gag from a London underground station?

No.

No station name roundels on the wall, heights of conductor rails are
wrong, no "suicide pit", no white line on edge of platform and yellow
line further back, tiling pattern doesn't match anything I recognise,
etc.

Richard J.[_2_] August 14th 07 11:29 AM

Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
http://www.allowe.com/Humor/sightgagbrowser.php?j=1128

Is this sight gag from a London underground station?

Not London Underground. The third rail looks similar to the DLR in London,
but by enlarging the photo and trying a few guesses in Google, I managed to
decipher the bottom two lines of the advert as:

Funeral Services Bergmann & Sohn
Jonasstraße 7, [postcode] Berlin Tiergarten

So I assume it's in Berlin.
--
Richard J.

Sarah Brown August 14th 07 11:31 AM

asdf wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:46:10 +0200, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

http://www.allowe.com/Humor/sightgagbrowser.php?j=1128

Is this sight gag from a London underground station?

No.

No station name roundels on the wall, heights of conductor rails are
wrong, no "suicide pit", no white line on edge of platform and yellow
line further back, tiling pattern doesn't match anything I recognise,
etc.

The drain doesn't have suicide pits, but everything else is still
wrong anyway.

Jarle H Knudsen August 14th 07 11:53 AM

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:29:09 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

Not London Underground. The third rail looks similar to the DLR in London,
but by enlarging the photo and trying a few guesses in Google, I managed to
decipher the bottom two lines of the advert as:

Funeral Services Bergmann & Sohn
Jonasstraße 7, [postcode] Berlin Tiergarten

So I assume it's in Berlin.

An advert in English in Germany? Don't they usually dub everything in
German?

--
jhk

Sam August 14th 07 02:05 PM

On 14 Aug, 12:53, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:29:09 GMT, Richard J. wrote:
Not London Underground. The third rail looks similar to the DLR in London,
but by enlarging the photo and trying a few guesses in Google, I managed to
decipher the bottom two lines of the advert as:

Funeral Services Bergmann & Sohn
Jonasstraße 7, [postcode] Berlin Tiergarten

So I assume it's in Berlin.

An advert in English in Germany? Don't they usually dub everything in
German?

Possibly, in which case it's most likely been photoshopped back into
English.

Sam

Steve Dulieu August 14th 07 02:24 PM

"Jarle H Knudsen" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:29:09 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

Not London Underground. The third rail looks similar to the DLR in
London,
but by enlarging the photo and trying a few guesses in Google, I managed
decipher the bottom two lines of the advert as:

Funeral Services Bergmann & Sohn
Jonasstraße 7, [postcode] Berlin Tiergarten

So I assume it's in Berlin.

An advert in English in Germany? Don't they usually dub everything in
German?

Not always, certainly when I've been in Munich, English has been used in
adds. Often when the advertiser has been attempting to appear "with-it" or
"trendy".
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Peter Andrews August 14th 07 04:08 PM

Underground station sight gag

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message
k...

"Jarle H Knudsen" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:29:09 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

Not London Underground. The third rail looks similar to the DLR in
London,
but by enlarging the photo and trying a few guesses in Google, I managed
decipher the bottom two lines of the advert as:

Funeral Services Bergmann & Sohn
Jonasstraße 7, [postcode] Berlin Tiergarten

So I assume it's in Berlin.

An advert in English in Germany? Don't they usually dub everything in
German?

Not always, certainly when I've been in Munich, English has been used in
adds. Often when the advertiser has been attempting to appear "with-it" or
"trendy".
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Perhaps they are only targetting english tourists :-)

Peter

John Rowland August 14th 07 05:01 PM

Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

"For you, Tommy, the war is over"