London Banter

-   -   Stand on the right - time to get rid of it? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5605-stand-right-time-get-rid.html)

Boltar September 1st 07 06:36 PM

Stand on the right - time to get rid of it?

I can't help thinking that the escalators would get more people up and
down them in a given time if people could stand on both sides in the
rush hour since you always get a (sometimes dangerously) large queue
for the right side and far fewer people going on the left (plus theres
always some idiot tourist who can't read who blocks it anyway). I
realise it might inconvenience people in a hurry but I reckon the pros
would outweight the cons.

Opinions?

B2003

JL September 1st 07 10:41 PM

On 1 Sep, 19:36, Boltar wrote:
I can't help thinking that the escalators would get more people up and
down them in a given time if people could stand on both sides in the
rush hour since you always get a (sometimes dangerously) large queue
for the right side and far fewer people going on the left (plus theres
always some idiot tourist who can't read who blocks it anyway). I
realise it might inconvenience people in a hurry but I reckon the pros
would outweight the cons.

Opinions?

B2003

In terms of a cost-benefit analysis, yes the pros would outweigh the
cons. But in reality, better 1 businessman be on time for his
important meeting, better 1 family catch that last train to Paris,
than 1000 people reach the top of the escalator 5 seconds earlier.

[email protected] September 2nd 07 06:26 AM

On 1 Sep, 19:36, Boltar wrote:
I can't help thinking that the escalators would get more people up and
down them in a given time if people could stand on both sides in the
rush hour since you always get a (sometimes dangerously) large queue
for the right side and far fewer people going on the left (plus theres
always some idiot tourist who can't read who blocks it anyway). I
realise it might inconvenience people in a hurry but I reckon the pros
would outweight the cons.

Opinions?

B2003

Why not speed the escalators up? Or have, where there are several
escalators, one faster speed escalator. Paris had (or still has) a
faster speed "travelator" at Gare Montponarsse.

John

Boltar September 2nd 07 09:16 AM

On Sep 2, 7:26 am, wrote:
Why not speed the escalators up? Or have, where there are several
escalators, one faster speed escalator. Paris had (or still has) a
faster speed "travelator" at Gare Montponarsse.

I don't think health and safety would be happy about that and for once
I'd probably agree with them. It would only take someone with a
suitcase or baby buggy to fall over at the end and there could be a
right mess.

B2003

Boltar September 2nd 07 09:18 AM

On Sep 1, 11:41 pm, JL wrote:
In terms of a cost-benefit analysis, yes the pros would outweigh the
cons. But in reality, better 1 businessman be on time for his
important meeting, better 1 family catch that last train to Paris,
than 1000 people reach the top of the escalator 5 seconds earlier.

True , but I was thinking of it being a way of clearing out the rush
hour crush at places like kings cross and victoria rather than getting
people anywhere quicker. Though I suppose theres an argument that
perhaps it would just move the crush to the other end of the
escalator.

B2003

Richard J. September 2nd 07 10:18 AM

wrote:
On 1 Sep, 19:36, Boltar wrote:
I can't help thinking that the escalators would get more people up
and down them in a given time if people could stand on both sides
in the rush hour since you always get a (sometimes dangerously)
large queue for the right side and far fewer people going on the
left (plus theres always some idiot tourist who can't read who
blocks it anyway). I realise it might inconvenience people in a
hurry but I reckon the pros would outweight the cons.

Opinions?

B2003

Why not speed the escalators up? Or have, where there are several
escalators, one faster speed escalator. Paris had (or still has) a
faster speed "travelator" at Gare Montponarsse.

At Montparnasse-Bienvenuë Métro station actually. It runs at 9 km/h
instead of the usual 3 km/h. Stepping on and off a travelator going at
that speed would be hazardous, so they have a transition area at each
end where there are small rollers turning at a slower speed. It could
be tricky to use the same technique for an escalator. There's a photo I
took earlier this year at
http://images.fotopic.net/?id=40778626&noresize=1
--
Richard J.

tim..... September 2nd 07 10:19 AM

Stand on the right - time to get rid of it?

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 1, 11:41 pm, JL wrote:
In terms of a cost-benefit analysis, yes the pros would outweigh the
cons. But in reality, better 1 businessman be on time for his
important meeting, better 1 family catch that last train to Paris,
than 1000 people reach the top of the escalator 5 seconds earlier.

True , but I was thinking of it being a way of clearing out the rush
hour crush at places like kings cross and victoria rather than getting
people anywhere quicker.

The people who travel in the rush hour know the rules
and queue up for the escalator accordingly. It's the
people who don't know the rules and block the walking
half unnecessarily that clog the system.

tim

Boltar September 2nd 07 10:40 AM

On Sep 2, 11:19 am, "tim....." wrote:
The people who travel in the rush hour know the rules
and queue up for the escalator accordingly. It's the
people who don't know the rules and block the walking
half unnecessarily that clog the system.

Unfortunately theres a lot of them, or at least there seem to be. I
see them almost every day. either blocking the left at the bottom
while they try and push in on the right or just standing on the left
regardless or anyone else behind. Also there seem to be a lot of
people (usually women it has to be said) who walk up on the left and
then who for reasons best known to themselves stop just before the end
causing a ripple effect all the way back. They really **** me off.

B2003

[email protected] September 2nd 07 11:01 AM

On 1 Sep, 19:36, Boltar wrote:
I can't help thinking that the escalators would get more people up and
down them in a given time if people could stand on both sides in the
rush hour since you always get a (sometimes dangerously) large queue
for the right side and far fewer people going on the left (plus theres
always some idiot tourist who can't read who blocks it anyway). I
realise it might inconvenience people in a hurry but I reckon the pros
would outweight the cons.

Opinions?

B2003

During the escalator reeplacement works from the Northern Line at
Moorgate there were signs and announcements advising customers to
stand on both sides.

MIG September 2nd 07 05:16 PM

On Sep 2, 12:01 pm, " wrote:
On 1 Sep, 19:36, Boltar wrote:

I can't help thinking that the escalators would get more people up and
down them in a given time if people could stand on both sides in the
rush hour since you always get a (sometimes dangerously) large queue
for the right side and far fewer people going on the left (plus theres
always some idiot tourist who can't read who blocks it anyway). I
realise it might inconvenience people in a hurry but I reckon the pros
would outweight the cons.

Opinions?

B2003

During the escalator reeplacement works from the Northern Line at
Moorgate there were signs and announcements advising customers to
stand on both sides.

I don't think this is only during works. I think it's standard on the
escalators from the Jubilee at Bond Street, which has never been able
to cope since the extension.

Nevertheless, I tend to stand on only one side at a time.

Even more difficult to comply with are regular instructions to "use
both up escalators" at some stations ... I find it difficult to use
more than one at a time.