London Banter

-   -   Slow news day again? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5639-slow-news-day-again.html)

Paul Scott September 12th 07 12:46 PM

Slow news day again?

How many trains fail across the country in the course of a normal day,
resulting in pax detraining? Is it really as newsworthy as the BBC seem to
think?

Paul

Richard J. September 12th 07 01:08 PM

Slow news day again?

Paul Scott wrote:

How many trains fail across the country in the course of a normal
day, resulting in pax detraining? Is it really as newsworthy as the
BBC seem to think?

"Services have now resumed both ways between White City and Marble Arch,
but are running with severe delays. TfL said arrangements were being
made to move the east-bound train as soon as possible."

If they were able to resume the service in both directions with the
failed eastbound train still in position (as the BBC report implies),
that would certainly be newsworthy!
--
Richard J.

Mizter T September 12th 07 01:38 PM

Slow news day again?

On 12 Sep, 13:46, "Paul Scott" wrote:

How many trains fail across the country in the course of a normal day,
resulting in pax detraining? Is it really as newsworthy as the BBC seem to
think?

Paul

The entrance of the BBC News Centre (located within the BBC Television
Centre) is almost across the road from White City Underground station
on the Central line, which is very useful for BBC staff to get to work
on...

Paul Scott September 12th 07 02:01 PM

Slow news day again?

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 12 Sep, 13:46, "Paul Scott" wrote:

How many trains fail across the country in the course of a normal day,
resulting in pax detraining? Is it really as newsworthy as the BBC seem
think?

Paul

The entrance of the BBC News Centre (located within the BBC Television
Centre) is almost across the road from White City Underground station
on the Central line, which is very useful for BBC staff to get to work
on...

That says it all really, I expect we'll be in for daily updates on the H&C
as well when (the new) Wood Lane opens then...

Paul

dB September 12th 07 06:39 PM

Slow news day again?

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

How many trains fail across the country in the course of a normal day,
resulting in pax detraining? Is it really as newsworthy as the BBC seem to
think?

Paul

In fairness, it is causing some very severe delays. It started just after 9
o'clock this morning and is still going on now. Considering that both White
City and Ruislip have depots, I am surprised that there are so few trains
running between those stations (and Ealing Broadway) in peak time this
evening. They can't have all the trains the other side of London; the
westbound service also came to a halt this morning because the trains were
stacking up. So where have all these trains gone?

dB September 12th 07 06:41 PM

Slow news day again?

"Services have now resumed both ways between White City and Marble Arch,
but are running with severe delays. TfL said arrangements were being made
to move the east-bound train as soon as possible."

If they were able to resume the service in both directions with the failed
eastbound train still in position (as the BBC report implies), that would
certainly be newsworthy!

As the sign at White City station says: "There is no eastbound trains" (and
seemingly not very many westbound ones either)

Paul Weaver September 12th 07 07:39 PM

Slow news day again?

On 12 Sep, 14:38, Mizter T wrote:
On 12 Sep, 13:46, "Paul Scott" wrote:

How many trains fail across the country in the course of a normal day,
resulting in pax detraining? Is it really as newsworthy as the BBC seem to
think?

Paul

The entrance of the BBC News Centre (located within the BBC Television
Centre) is almost across the road from White City Underground station
on the Central line, which is very useful for BBC staff to get to work
on...

Not today. I'm still at work (in TVC), severe delays on the way in, to
an extra hour. On the way back had a phone call from collegue saying
nothing eastbound and 3tph westbound. It was clsoed from White City to
Marble arch then.

It extended to Liverpool street, and now leytonstone, meaning no
alternative routes.

It's been 12 hours since the failure, and just got worse, what the
hell is going on?

Colin Rosenstiel September 12th 07 08:23 PM

Slow news day again?

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Paul Scott wrote:

How many trains fail across the country in the course of a normal
day, resulting in pax detraining? Is it really as newsworthy as
the BBC seem to think?

"Services have now resumed both ways between White City and Marble
Arch, but are running with severe delays. TfL said arrangements
were being made to move the east-bound train as soon as possible."

If they were able to resume the service in both directions with the
failed eastbound train still in position (as the BBC report
implies), that would certainly be newsworthy!

It was broken again, suspended between White City and Leytonstone IIRC,
by 19:30 tonight. Not reported on the BBC, or so it seems.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] September 12th 07 08:46 PM

Slow news day again?

On Sep 12, 7:39 pm, "dB" wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

How many trains fail across the country in the course of a normal day,
resulting in pax detraining? Is it really as newsworthy as the BBC seem to
think?

Paul

In fairness, it is causing some very severe delays. It started just after 9
o'clock this morning and is still going on now. Considering that both White
City and Ruislip have depots, I am surprised that there are so few trains
running between those stations (and Ealing Broadway) in peak time this
evening. They can't have all the trains the other side of London; the
westbound service also came to a halt this morning because the trains were
stacking up. So where have all these trains gone?

Put away in depots after drivers refused to drive them "in the
interests of health & safety" after a bit fell off of one of them at
Holland Park this morning (here we go again...). And poor Bob Crow is
probably stuck in Brighon for the TUC Conferance!

alex_t September 12th 07 08:52 PM

Slow news day again?

It's been 12 hours since the failure, and just got worse, what the
hell is going on?

Apparently RMT members refuse to drive trains because of safety
concerns. I guess they want to recover lost time off...