London Banter

-   -   London Victoria Solari flap scripts (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5642-london-victoria-solari-flap-scripts.html)

Robert September 13th 07 05:51 PM

London Victoria Solari flap scripts

Just in case anyone is interested, I have created a Google Group which
contains files that show what was printed on all of the Solari flaps
on the main departure board at London Victoria (Central).

Please visit http://groups.google.com/group/londo...l-solari-flaps

Robert.

Ian F. September 13th 07 06:38 PM

London Victoria Solari flap scripts

"Robert" wrote in message
ps.com...

Just in case anyone is interested, I have created a Google Group which
contains files that show what was printed on all of the Solari flaps
on the main departure board at London Victoria (Central).

Now I really have seen it all! FFS! :-))))

Ian

Offramp September 14th 07 06:42 AM

On Sep 13, 6:51 pm, Robert wrote:
Just in case anyone is interested, I have created a Google Group which
contains files that show what was printed on all of the Solari flaps
on the main departure board at London Victoria (Central).

Please visithttp://groups.google.com/group/london-victoria-central-solari-flaps

An amazing feat. Did you do it from memory?! When those flaps first
appeared on the lawn it was like the PEAK of high tech!

James Farrar September 14th 07 06:52 AM

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:51:18 -0700, Robert wrote:

Just in case anyone is interested, I have created a Google Group which
contains files that show what was printed on all of the Solari flaps
on the main departure board at London Victoria (Central).

Please visit http://groups.google.com/group/londo...l-solari-flaps

Ah, I'm glad that I wasn't hallucinating when I saw "Manchester" as it
flipped over one time... though I bopggle to think what route (and
purpose!) that would serve...

John B September 14th 07 09:26 AM

On 14 Sep, 07:52, James Farrar wrote:
Just in case anyone is interested, I have created a Google Group which
contains files that show what was printed on all of the Solari flaps
on the main departure board at London Victoria (Central).

Please visithttp://groups.google.com/group/london-victoria-central-solari-flaps

Ah, I'm glad that I wasn't hallucinating when I saw "Manchester" as it
flipped over one time... though I bopggle to think what route (and
purpose!) that would serve...

Connection with boat train mebbe? In the style of the former
Manchester to Waterloo E* connection services...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Tom Anderson September 14th 07 09:45 AM

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, John B wrote:

On 14 Sep, 07:52, James Farrar wrote:
Just in case anyone is interested, I have created a Google Group which
contains files that show what was printed on all of the Solari flaps
on the main departure board at London Victoria (Central).

Please visithttp://groups.google.com/group/london-victoria-central-solari-flaps

Ah, I'm glad that I wasn't hallucinating when I saw "Manchester" as it
flipped over one time... though I bopggle to think what route (and
purpose!) that would serve...

Connection with boat train mebbe? In the style of the former Manchester
to Waterloo E* connection services...

How on earth did it get there? WLL?

tom

--
Imagine a city where graffiti wasn't illegal, a city where everybody
could draw wherever they liked. Where every street was awash with a

John B September 14th 07 12:41 PM

On 14 Sep, 10:45, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, John B wrote:
On 14 Sep, 07:52, James Farrar wrote:
Just in case anyone is interested, I have created a Google Group which
contains files that show what was printed on all of the Solari flaps
on the main departure board at London Victoria (Central).

Please visithttp://groups.google.com/group/london-victoria-central-solari-flaps

Ah, I'm glad that I wasn't hallucinating when I saw "Manchester" as it
flipped over one time... though I bopggle to think what route (and
purpose!) that would serve...

Connection with boat train mebbe? In the style of the former Manchester
to Waterloo E* connection services...

How on earth did it get there? WLL?

Probably - from CO

Shortest route from (London) Victoria to Manchester Piccadilly

Distance: 186 miles 76 chains
From (London) Victoria to Battersea Park, to Clapham Junction, to West

Brompton, to Kensington Olympia, to Willesden Junction, to Harrow &
Wealdstone, to Bushey, to Watford Junction (main line), to Bletchley,
to Milton Keynes Central, to Wolverton, to Rugby (avoiding
Northampton), to Nuneaton, to Tamworth, to Lichfield Trent Valley, to
Rugeley Trent Valley, to Barlaston (avoiding Stafford), to Stoke-on-
Trent, to Kidsgrove, to Cheadle Hulme via Macclesfield, to Stockport,
to Manchester Piccadilly.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Tom Anderson September 14th 07 02:20 PM

[...]

From (London) Victoria to Battersea Park, to Clapham Junction, to West
Brompton, to Kensington Olympia, to Willesden Junction, to Harrow &
Wealdstone, to Bushey, to Watford Junction (main line),

Righto. That's a reverse at Clapham Junction, isn't it?

I know there's a line that runs from the southbound lines between Battesea
and CJ to the WLL, bypassing CJ, but i have no idea if it's reachable from
Victoria. It looks like it on the Bartholemew map. If it is, presumably
that was the route used, rather than one involving a reverse.

I infer from CORE's opinion that this is no longer used as a passenger
route. Does anyone know different? Watford to Victoria/Waterloo trains
might be quite useful ...

Also - "Watford Junction (main line)"? Is there another Watford Junction?

tom

--
the logical extension of a zero-infinity nightmare topology

Mizter T September 14th 07 04:34 PM

On 14 Sep, 15:20, Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

From (London) Victoria to Battersea Park, to Clapham Junction, to West
Brompton, to Kensington Olympia, to Willesden Junction, to Harrow &
Wealdstone, to Bushey, to Watford Junction (main line),

Righto. That's a reverse at Clapham Junction, isn't it?

No, but I think you can only do it direct by running along the low-
level bidirectional line through the Stewarts Lane depot area - I
think this line is called the Battersea Reversible (?).

I know there's a line that runs from the southbound lines between Battesea
and CJ to the WLL, bypassing CJ, but i have no idea if it's reachable from
Victoria. It looks like it on the Bartholemew map. If it is, presumably
that was the route used, rather than one involving a reverse.

Yes - see above.

I infer from CORE's opinion that this is no longer used as a passenger
route. Does anyone know different? Watford to Victoria/Waterloo trains
might be quite useful ...

The Battersea Reversible certainly doesn't see any current usage by
passenger trains - though I believe charter trains use it to get to/
from the Windsor Lines (i.e. those from Clapham Junction going towards
Wandsworth Town), from which they can then get on to the South West
main line via Woking (I think!).

I believe (from having read past uk.railway threads) it was also used
by a London to Tonbridge train for a temporary period when this was
diverted from London Bridge - I can't remember why it couldn't go from
London Bridge for a period (though it does again now).

You can get from London Victoria to Watford Junction by National Rail,
by getting a train from Victoria out to Clapham Junction and changing
onto the Southern service via the WLL to Watford Junction. No idea if
there'd be a single through ticket that could be sold for this journey
though! Anyway anyone wanting to do this to avoid the tube (say for
reasons of claustrophobia) could go to Olympia or West Brompton on the
District line (sub-surface so not a tube line) and catch the Southern
service up the WLL from there. Though by far the easiest way from
Victoria remains going up to Euston by tube and getting a train from
there!

Also - "Watford Junction (main line)"? Is there another Watford Junction?

I dunno, but somewhere you've got to remember to mind the gap.

Peter Smyth September 14th 07 05:11 PM

London Victoria Solari flap scripts

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, John B wrote:

On 14 Sep, 07:52, James Farrar wrote:
Just in case anyone is interested, I have created a Google Group which
contains files that show what was printed on all of the Solari flaps
on the main departure board at London Victoria (Central).

Please
visithttp://groups.google.com/group/london-victoria-central-solari-flaps

Ah, I'm glad that I wasn't hallucinating when I saw "Manchester" as it
flipped over one time... though I bopggle to think what route (and
purpose!) that would serve...

Connection with boat train mebbe? In the style of the former Manchester
to Waterloo E* connection services...

How on earth did it get there? WLL?

Actually it took a rather more scenic route via Wales!

Peter Smyth