London Banter

-   -   Roundel Close (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5707-roundel-close.html)

John Rowland October 4th 07 10:25 PM

Roundel Close

I can't help wondering if this bit of land in Brockley used to be used by
London Transport, and if so, what for.

TIA.

Offramp October 5th 07 02:55 AM

Roundel Close

On Oct 4, 11:25 pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I can't help wondering if this bit of land in Brockley used to be used by
London Transport, and if so, what for.

TIA.

Couldn't you ask this same question about every road in the world?

John Rowland October 5th 07 11:11 AM

Roundel Close

Offramp wrote:
On Oct 4, 11:25 pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I can't help wondering if this bit of land in Brockley used to be
used by London Transport, and if so, what for.

TIA.

Couldn't you ask this same question about every road in the world?

No, I dont have the time.

Mizter T October 5th 07 02:21 PM

Roundel Close

On 4 Oct, 23:25, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I can't help wondering if this bit of land in Brockley used to be used by
London Transport, and if so, what for.

TIA.

Intriguing. I know that area a bit but I'd never noticed Roundel
Close. I'm not aware of any particular LT connection to that land, nor
is anything of the sort readily apparent when one travels along
Adelaide Avenue.

Searching the web throws up nothing, as does searching LB Lewisham's
website. All I found on the latter was a somewhat incomplete "New
Highway Register" document - incomplete as it hardly has any dates of
adoption of these new highways, and some of them aren't so new having
been adopted as far back as in 1972 (though of course what is "new" is
relative and I can hardly criticise the document as I've no idea what
the context is!). Anyway this document has a notes/comments column but
there's no entry there in relation to Roundel Close.

Of marginal interest in this document is the fact that the council
maintains Bridge House Meadows footpath (and presumably the
surrounding green space) "under agreement with London Underground Ltd"
- for this is to be the path of phase 2 of the ELLX (if and when that
ever happens if anyone can find any spare change given the cash that
Crossrail demands), and was indeed in the past the course of a railway
in long gone days. Just interesting to note that LUL already owns the
required land.

See http://tinyurl.com/27cfr2 - note this is a PDF file.

Tom Anderson October 5th 07 04:04 PM

Roundel Close

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Offramp wrote:

On Oct 4, 11:25 pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:

I can't help wondering if this bit of land in Brockley used to be used
by London Transport, and if so, what for.

Couldn't you ask this same question about every road in the world?

Yes, but it seems sensible to start with the ones whose names connote
connections to London Transport.

Like Crowgallows Street in the City, for example. :)

tom

--
Gin makes a man mean; let's booze up and riot!