London Banter

-   -   Oyster validators on Silverlink (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5714-oyster-validators-silverlink.html)

Matthew Dickinson October 6th 07 08:07 PM

Oyster validators on Silverlink

The Oystercard validators at Kentish Town West are now switched on,
and journeys appear in the card history. PAYG journeys would appear to
be possible, but with uncertain validity until 11th November.
(Hampstead Heath and Caledonian Road aren't yet.)

MaxB October 7th 07 11:17 AM

Oyster validators on Silverlink

On 6 Oct, 21:07, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
The Oystercard validators at Kentish Town West are now switched on,
and journeys appear in the card history. PAYG journeys would appear to
be possible, but with uncertain validity until 11th November.
(Hampstead Heath and Caledonian Road aren't yet.)

Everytime I have tried to get my journey history recently either the
site has been down or "Due to site maintenance your journey history is
currently unavailable"!

Is it just me?

MaxB

Helen Deborah Vecht October 8th 07 12:04 AM

Oyster validators on Silverlink

MaxB typed

wrote:
The Oystercard validators at Kentish Town West are now switched on,
and journeys appear in the card history. PAYG journeys would appear to
be possible, but with uncertain validity until 11th November.
(Hampstead Heath and Caledonian Road aren't yet.)

Everytime I have tried to get my journey history recently either the
site has been down or "Due to site maintenance your journey history is
currently unavailable"!

Is it just me?

MaxB

No.

I posted about (the absence of) Journey History on Oyster on utl several
weeks ago. It's now MONTHS since I could access this.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Graham J October 8th 07 07:46 AM

Oyster validators on Silverlink

Everytime I have tried to get my journey history recently either the
site has been down or "Due to site maintenance your journey history is
currently unavailable"!

No it isn't just you, I get that message too and it isn't just recently as
I've been getting it for two or three months now.

G.

Matthew Dickinson October 8th 07 10:05 AM

Oyster validators on Silverlink

Everytime I have tried to get my journey history recently either the
site has been down or "Due to site maintenance your journey history is
currently unavailable"!

Is it just me?

MaxB

Sorry to confuse people...I can't get it either on the website. I was
referring to the screen available on tube ticket machines.

Tim Roll-Pickering October 8th 07 02:51 PM

Matthew Dickinson wrote:

The Oystercard validators at Kentish Town West are now switched on,
and journeys appear in the card history. PAYG journeys would appear to
be possible, but with uncertain validity until 11th November.
(Hampstead Heath and Caledonian Road aren't yet.)

The ones at Wanstead Park haven't been activated yet but I noticed today
that Silverlink have instigated a "maximum fare only" policy regarding on
train tickets. (They've had it for some time but when you have a season
ticket it's easy to miss.) This annoyed me as the ticket machine at Wanstead
Park wasn't working (the tocuhscreen wasn't responding properly) so it
wasn't possible to buy a ticket in advance. And of course there are no staff
at the station.

Does no-one give any thought to machine failure when instigating such
policies? I've seen similar on buses that require tickets are purchased in
advance - the stand machines won't work but the driver won't give any
thought to the matter, just argue with the passenger. Or people getting
stung by inspectors for not touching in on the bus when the readers weren't
working...

MIG October 8th 07 05:13 PM

Oyster validators on Silverlink

On Oct 8, 3:51 pm, "Tim Roll-Pickering" T.C.Roll-
wrote:
Matthew Dickinson wrote:
[...]

I've seen a driver leave people in the rain at two in the morning when
a machine wasn't working.

Neil Williams October 8th 07 06:55 PM

Oyster validators on Silverlink

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:13:12 -0700, MIG
wrote:

I've seen a driver leave people in the rain at two in the morning when
a machine wasn't working.

I'm sure I remember hearing that they actually *can't* sell tickets
when in the central fare stages. Thus, what they're meant to do is
give you a free lift to the next stop and wait for you while buying a
ticket.

As for the railway, penalty and Standard Fare policies can only be
enforced where there is a means of buying a ticket. If the ticket
machine is not working, you can buy a discounted ticket on board or at
your destination. If they aren't following this rule, complain...

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Tim Woodall October 8th 07 07:44 PM

Oyster validators on Silverlink

wrote:

I've seen a driver leave people in the rain at two in the morning when
a machine wasn't working.

I'm sure I remember hearing that they actually *can't* sell tickets
when in the central fare stages. Thus, what they're meant to do is
give you a free lift to the next stop and wait for you while buying a
ticket.

As for the railway, penalty and Standard Fare policies can only be
enforced where there is a means of buying a ticket. If the ticket
machine is not working, you can buy a discounted ticket on board or at
your destination. If they aren't following this rule, complain...

Out of interest, what is the situation where say, you only have a 20GBP
note and the ticket machine has a sign saying "Due to the number of
forgeries this machine no longer accepts 20 pound notes"?

Many, many years ago this happened to me - I'm pretty sure the guard on
the train was actually taking the **** because he would only sell me a
single and I wasn't even trying to buy a discounted fare, just a
standard return.

Tim.

and there was light.

[email protected] October 8th 07 10:48 PM

Oyster validators on Silverlink

Last week I was at Hackney Wick station - no ticket office, touch-
screen ticket machines turned off both sides, no permit to travel/
fiddle machine. So I boarded the 14:5X EB train, no conductor-guard on
board checking/selling tickets, thence I merged with the LU system at
Stratford where I was valid and carried on for free. How much more
revenue are they losing? Do they care? There were posters up
announcing "Silverlink engineering work" in December 2007! Eh - I
don't think so!!!