Old October 23rd 07, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Crossrail - House of Commons Committee report published today

http://www.publications.parliament.u...ss/235/235.pdf

A detailed report of the issues considered by the committee.

Old October 23rd 07, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 23 Oct, 09:59, Mwmbwls wrote:
http://www.publications.parliament.u...ect/cmcross/23...

A detailed report of the issues considered by the committee.

Two weird things he

1)
Why are assorted Tower Hamlets-based comedians (including George
Galloway) objecting to a station at Whitechapel? I can understand why
they might object to the railway being built at all, given the noise
impact on residents, but the worst outcome of all would be the railway
built without the regeneration benefits of a station...

Oh well, at least I get to vote him out next time round [note: I live
under 100 metres from Whitechapel tube, but because I'm not mad I'd
rather take the noise in the short term and the benefits in the long
term...]

2)
Why are bikes banned on the central tunnels, but allowed in the
Heathrow tunnel? Aren't these planned to be exactly the same in design
(single bore, OHLE, pedestrian walkways)...?

http://billdocuments.crossrail.co.uk...%20Parking.pdf

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old October 23rd 07, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 23 Oct, 13:51, John B wrote:
Why are assorted Tower Hamlets-based comedians (including George
Galloway) objecting to a station at Whitechapel? I can understand why
they might object to the railway being built at all, given the noise
impact on residents, but the worst outcome of all would be the railway
built without the regeneration benefits of a station...

Dude, they're sticking it to the man.

(or, more seriously, without the Whitechapel station the tunnels would
end a lot further west, meaning a much smaller impact on their area)

Why are bikes banned on the central tunnels, but allowed in the
Heathrow tunnel? Aren't these planned to be exactly the same in design
(single bore, OHLE, pedestrian walkways)...?

The trains are big enough that bikes don't pose an evacuation risk, so
it looks like they simply don't want them clogging up the passageways
and escalators in the central area underground stations.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old October 23rd 07, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
Why are bikes banned on the central tunnels, but allowed in the
Heathrow tunnel? Aren't these planned to be exactly the same in design
(single bore, OHLE, pedestrian walkways)...?

The trains are big enough that bikes don't pose an evacuation risk, so
it looks like they simply don't want them clogging up the passageways
and escalators in the central area underground stations.

This sounds like the committee speakes with forked tounge when the
introduction says:
" E2 1.2 Increasing emphasis is being placed on reducing reliance on the
private car as a mode of transport whilst simultaneously accomodating
economic growth and the attendant increase in demand for travel. This
requires the promotion of alternative modes of transport; cycling is
increasingly recognised as a method of acheiving this policy objective at a
local level."

And then goes on to ban cycles from the central part of the route.
But then what is new about Govenment saying one thing while doing another.

What with the poor new cycling facilities at St Pancras and prohibitions on
Eurostar reported in another thread here, cyclists are getting a very bad
deal within the new facilities.

Roger R

Old October 23rd 07, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 05:51:22 -0700, John B wrote:

On 23 Oct, 09:59, Mwmbwls wrote:
http://www.publications.parliament.u...ect/cmcross/23...

A detailed report of the issues considered by the committee.

Two weird things he

1)
Why are assorted Tower Hamlets-based comedians (including George
Galloway) objecting to a station at Whitechapel? I can understand why
they might object to the railway being built at all, given the noise
impact on residents, but the worst outcome of all would be the railway
built without the regeneration benefits of a station...

Oh well, at least I get to vote him out next time round [note: I live
under 100 metres from Whitechapel tube, but because I'm not mad I'd
rather take the noise in the short term and the benefits in the long
term...]

No you won't - he's taking his despicable campaigning methods to
Poplar & Blackwall next time round.

Old October 23rd 07, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 23 Oct, 09:59, Mwmbwls wrote:
http://www.publications.parliament.u...ect/cmcross/23...

A detailed report of the issues considered by the committee.

Two weird things he

1)
Why are assorted Tower Hamlets-based comedians (including George
Galloway) objecting to a station at Whitechapel? I can understand why
they might object to the railway being built at all, given the noise
impact on residents, but the worst outcome of all would be the railway
built without the regeneration benefits of a station...

Oh well, at least I get to vote him out next time round [note: I live
under 100 metres from Whitechapel tube, but because I'm not mad I'd
rather take the noise in the short term and the benefits in the long
term...]

No you won't - he's taking his despicable campaigning methods to
Poplar & Blackwall next time round.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6940517.stm- Hide quoted text -

The comments by Robert Wilson MP are very reasonable, in that he has
noted the effect on freight, probably even more serious in the Eastern
Section.
The western will be disrupted by Reading rebuilding at the same time,
the need for East West Rail and the Bicester Curve have never been
more pressing.
Richard

Old October 24th 07, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Roger R wrote:

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
Why are bikes banned on the central tunnels, but allowed in the
Heathrow tunnel? Aren't these planned to be exactly the same in design
(single bore, OHLE, pedestrian walkways)...?

The trains are big enough that bikes don't pose an evacuation risk, so
it looks like they simply don't want them clogging up the passageways
and escalators in the central area underground stations.

This is a classic case of making a decision first and creating reasons
afterwards. The blanket central London ban has no logical basis. All
these stations will need lifts for DDA reasons.

This sounds like the committee speakes with forked tounge when the
introduction says:
" E2 1.2 Increasing emphasis is being placed on ...
alternative modes of transport; cycling is increasingly
recognised as a method of acheiving this policy objective at a
local level."

And then goes on to ban cycles from the central part of the route.
But then what is new about Govenment saying one thing while doing another.

The worst of it is that at present you can take bikes to Liverpool
Street and Paddington. The proposal is that Crossrail will throw you
off at Stratford and Acton Main Line. These stations are enough
further away from Central London to make Crossrail useless for
rail/cycle journeys to Central London.

What with the poor new cycling facilities at St Pancras and prohibitions on
Eurostar reported in another thread here, cyclists are getting a very bad
deal within the new facilities.

At present a certain amount of money is spent on special provision for
cycling, often of low quality. Meanwhile, pots of money are spent on
schemes which fail to consider cyclists or actively make things worse
for them.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as