Old October 29th 07, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Rename Arsenal back to Gillespie Road?

Now that arsenal footbal club have shoved off to drayton park , are
there any murmurings at LUL about renaming Arsenal station back to
Gillespie Road? Or would this just be too much money/hassle?

B2003

Old October 29th 07, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 05:36:48 -0700, Boltar
wrote:

Now that arsenal footbal club have shoved off to drayton park , are
there any murmurings at LUL about renaming Arsenal station back to
Gillespie Road? Or would this just be too much money/hassle?

Seems pointless, given that Arsenal is the nearest tube station to AG.

Old October 29th 07, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Oct, 14:56, Boltar wrote:
Now that arsenal footbal club have shoved off to drayton park , are
there any murmurings at LUL about renaming Arsenal station back to
Gillespie Road? Or would this just be too much money/hassle?

Seems pointless, given that Arsenal is the nearest tube station to AG.

Whats AG?

Ashburton Grove, the site of Arsenal's new stadium (although I think
Holloway Road station might actually be nearer).

In any case, renaming the station would be silly - unlike Holloway
Road and Drayton Park, Arsenal/Gillespie Road has the capacity to deal
with large match-day crowds, so continuing to send the fans there is a
Good Idea.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old October 29th 07, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:01:48 -0700, John B wrote:

On 29 Oct, 14:56, Boltar wrote:
Now that arsenal footbal club have shoved off to drayton park , are
there any murmurings at LUL about renaming Arsenal station back to
Gillespie Road? Or would this just be too much money/hassle?

Seems pointless, given that Arsenal is the nearest tube station to AG.

Whats AG?

Ashburton Grove, the site of Arsenal's new stadium (although I think
Holloway Road station might actually be nearer).

Arsenal claim that Arsenal is the nearest, although this could be
because HR is exit-only on matchdays.

Old October 29th 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Oct, 14:56, Boltar wrote:
Now that arsenal footbal club have shoved off to drayton park , are
there any murmurings at LUL about renaming Arsenal station back to
Gillespie Road? Or would this just be too much money/hassle?

Seems pointless, given that Arsenal is the nearest tube station to AG.

Whats AG?

Ashburton Grove, the site of Arsenal's new stadium (although I think
Holloway Road station might actually be nearer).

Arsenal claim that Arsenal is the nearest, although this could be
because HR is exit-only on matchdays.

When I went I used Finsbury Park. What IS the nearest? I mean what are
the nearestest in their order?

Old October 29th 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Oct, 14:56, Boltar wrote:
Now that arsenal footbal club have shoved off to drayton park , are
there any murmurings at LUL about renaming Arsenal station back to
Gillespie Road? Or would this just be too much money/hassle?

Seems pointless, given that Arsenal is the nearest tube station to AG.

Whats AG?

Ashburton Grove, the site of Arsenal's new stadium (although I think
Holloway Road station might actually be nearer).

Arsenal claim that Arsenal is the nearest, although this could be
because HR is exit-only on matchdays.

It depends where you are sitting. Arsenal is closest to the north end while
Holloway Road is closest to the south end of the stadium.

Peter Smyth

Old October 29th 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Smyth
writes

.. .

On 29 Oct, 14:56, Boltar wrote:
Now that arsenal footbal club have shoved off to drayton park , are
there any murmurings at LUL about renaming Arsenal station back to
Gillespie Road? Or would this just be too much money/hassle?

Seems pointless, given that Arsenal is the nearest tube station to AG.

Whats AG?

Ashburton Grove, the site of Arsenal's new stadium (although I think
Holloway Road station might actually be nearer).

Arsenal claim that Arsenal is the nearest, although this could be
because HR is exit-only on matchdays.

It depends where you are sitting. Arsenal is closest to the north end while
Holloway Road is closest to the south end of the stadium.

Actually Drayton Park is closest, which by some weird logic isn't used
on match days....... only in England ;-)

--
Edward Cowling "Time is not your enemy, forever is !!"

Old October 29th 07, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote in message
In message , Peter Smyth
writes

. ..

On 29 Oct, 14:56, Boltar wrote:
Now that arsenal footbal club have shoved off to drayton park , are
there any murmurings at LUL about renaming Arsenal station back to
Gillespie Road? Or would this just be too much money/hassle?

Seems pointless, given that Arsenal is the nearest tube station to
AG.

Whats AG?

Ashburton Grove, the site of Arsenal's new stadium (although I think
Holloway Road station might actually be nearer).

Arsenal claim that Arsenal is the nearest, although this could be
because HR is exit-only on matchdays.

It depends where you are sitting. Arsenal is closest to the north end
while
Holloway Road is closest to the south end of the stadium.

Holloway Road only has lifts - and can be discounted for use by football
crowds unless many millions are spent - compare with Covent Garden for
instance

Actually Drayton Park is closest, which by some weird logic isn't used on
match days....... only in England ;-)

Drayton Park is a narrow island platform with access by steps at only one
end. Although I did read of a good idea w.r.t. Drayton Park, which was to
provide another large down (northbound platform) for northbound matchday
traffic only? and use the existing island at other times. Another main
problem is that many matches happen when the line to Moorgate isn't even
open...

Paul

Old October 29th 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Oct, 14:56, Boltar wrote:
Now that arsenal footbal club have shoved off to drayton park , are
there any murmurings at LUL about renaming Arsenal station back to
Gillespie Road? Or would this just be too much money/hassle?

Seems pointless, given that Arsenal is the nearest tube station to AG.

Whats AG?

Ashburton Grove, the site of Arsenal's new stadium (although I think
Holloway Road station might actually be nearer).

Arsenal claim that Arsenal is the nearest, although this could be
because HR is exit-only on matchdays.

When I went I used Finsbury Park. What IS the nearest? I mean what are
the nearestest in their order?

Not the nearest but I find Highbury & Islington is always a pretty
good option if you want the Victoria line, and those wanting the
Piccadilly line might like to try heading west for the short walk to
Caledonian Road station.