Old November 15th 07, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus lane cameras

is there a site listing London bus lane cameras?

Speeding and red light cameras are at http://www.lscp.org.uk

thx

E.

Old November 15th 07, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:
is there a site listing London bus lane cameras?

Speeding and red light cameras are at http://www.lscp.org.uk

Some of the bus lane cameras are on buses, so a site listing them would
be of limited value. Anyway, why do you want such a site? So that you
can obstruct legitimate users of the bus lanes? I have a two-word reply
to that, and the second word is "off".
--
Richard J.

Old November 15th 07, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote:

Some of the bus lane cameras are on buses, so a site listing them would
be of limited value.

Just want to know where the fixed ones are.

Anyway, why do you want such a site? So that you
can obstruct legitimate users of the bus lanes? I have a two-word reply
to that, and the second word is "off".

You can't keep a fixed camera a secret. No, it's just that in streets such
as City Road where there is at least one - which I have been caught by
because I undertook a car turing right - it helps to know where you have to
be extra careful about turning left and not entering the end of a lane. I
came out of the petrol station on City Rd this morning and turned
immediately left - about 5yrds or so - in part of a bus lane. Traffic was
solid in the main lane. There is a camera there but it's a fixed digital
speed one (I hope).

E.

Old November 15th 07, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:

is there a site listing London bus lane cameras?

Speeding and red light cameras are at http://www.lscp.org.uk

thx

E.

No.

I've been intending to get my head round this issue for a while. There
are of course cameras on (at least some) buses which record the road
ahead. I've wondered whether the driver presses a button or something
to mark a particular point on the recording when they witnessed an
infringement? Perhaps not, as it'd distract them from driving (unless
they were stationary and held up behind a parked car, for instance).

AIUI additionally local borough councils can also use CCTV systems on
main streets to enforce bus lanes, as well as parking offences (i.e.
parking on yellow lines). It appears that TfL also does their own CCTV
enforcement on their own roads (the TfL Road Network or TLRN -
basically all the Red Routes), but I wonder whether they also allow
local councils to use their own CCTV systems for enforcement purposes
- or even whether they 'subcontract' the enforcement on certain Red
Routes out to the local council,. There must be co-ordination
somewhere between TfL and the councils so as to ensure someone only
gets penalised once for any single offence (if they get caught on a
TfL camera - say on a bus - and also on a local council CCTV system).

Additionally I think, although I don't know this, that the councils
can use their general CCTV systems (the ones principally intended for
'public safety') for bus lane and parking enforcement as a secondary
purpose. This would at least cut down on duplication.

I can speak with a little experience - I managed to run out of petrol,
courtesy of a faulty fuel gauge, in a bus lane in the Borough of
Lambeth (on a road maintained by the borough, rather than TfL). A
couple of days later a fine came in the post, complete with a full
colour still picture captured from the video footage of the car in the
offending spot. It stated that I could go to the council office and
watch the relevant video if I so wished. The camera that caught this
certainly appears to be a general 'public safety' CCTV camera, as
opposed to a specific installation for monitoring traffic.

There is more information available on this page on the TfL website,
which includes links to other information sources, which may clarify
some things at least (so I'll ensure I take a proper look at it myself
soon!):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...aces/2299.aspx
Old November 15th 07, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 15, 3:17 pm, eastender wrote:
came out of the petrol station on City Rd this morning and turned
immediately left - about 5yrds or so - in part of a bus lane. Traffic was
solid in the main lane. There is a camera there but it's a fixed digital
speed one (I hope).

There was an accident near the junction of City Road and Wakley St (I
think - I wasn't paying much attention this morning to where I was,
just trying to work out how to get to work in a reasonable time) this
morning and the road was completely shut (even to cyclists, I'm not
sure about pedestrians) eastbound at least (presumably westbound as
well as I don't remember having to negotiate with traffic trying to
turn on to Wakley Street).

The traffic was queued back at least as far as Euston and the Old
Street roundabout.

Even on a bicycle it took me twenty minutes to do three miles this
morning.

And despite the temptation to hop up onto the pavement to dodge the
queues, I saw far more pavement motorcycling that pavement cycling.

Tim.

Tim.

Old November 15th 07, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
eastender wrote:

is there a site listing London bus lane cameras?

Speeding and red light cameras are at http://www.lscp.org.uk

I've been intending to get my head round this issue for a while. There
are of course cameras on (at least some) buses which record the road
ahead. I've wondered whether the driver presses a button or something
to mark a particular point on the recording when they witnessed an
infringement? Perhaps not, as it'd distract them from driving (unless
they were stationary and held up behind a parked car, for instance).

No idea how they're stopped and started, but they admit to having 1045
cameras in this document:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...igital-age.pdf

Paul S

Old November 15th 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:

"Richard J." wrote:

Some of the bus lane cameras are on buses, so a site listing them would
be of limited value.

Just want to know where the fixed ones are.

Anyway, why do you want such a site? So that you
can obstruct legitimate users of the bus lanes? I have a two-word reply
to that, and the second word is "off".

You can't keep a fixed camera a secret. No, it's just that in streets such
as City Road where there is at least one - which I have been caught by
because I undertook a car turing right - it helps to know where you have to
be extra careful about turning left and not entering the end of a lane. I
came out of the petrol station on City Rd this morning and turned
immediately left - about 5yrds or so - in part of a bus lane. Traffic was
solid in the main lane. There is a camera there but it's a fixed digital
speed one (I hope).

It is a speed camera, not a bus lane one. I live very close to there,
and have an Origin B2 fixed camera warning thingy and it beeps when I
go past that spot.

D.
Old November 15th 07, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There
are of course cameras on (at least some) buses which record the road
ahead. I've wondered whether the driver presses a button or something
to mark a particular point on the recording when they witnessed an
infringement? Perhaps not, as it'd distract them from driving (unless
they were stationary and held up behind a parked car, for instance).

No idea how they're stopped and started, but they admit to having 1045
cameras in this document:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...igital-age.pdf

Paul S

I don't think it is a particular secret that the bus mounted cameras,
or rather the recorders on the buses, switch and off automatically as
the bus enters and leaves the bus lane. It therefore records the whole
bus lane regardless of whether there are any infringements. The
positions of the bus lanes are programmed into the recorder and the
system knows where the bus is by using the on board tracking system
from the roadside beacons that are already in place on the vehicle for
Countdown and other operational purposes.

Peter
Old November 16th 07, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

AIUI additionally local borough councils can also use CCTV systems on
main streets to enforce bus lanes, as well as parking offences (i.e.
parking on yellow lines).

Yes, I know people who've had tickets from them. But those little spindly fixed bus
lane cameras must surely be listed somewhere - in Islington I know one southbound on
Holloway Road coming up to Highbury Corner, and one eastbound about half-way down
City Road, which did for me. Maybe there just aren't many, or maybe it's mostly CCTV
now.

E.

Old November 16th 07, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Nov, 00:51, Peter Heather wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I had this crazy vision of bus
drivers quickly pressing some red button to either start the recording
or mark a point in it, for which they would be rewarded each time a
ticket was issued - a sort of performance-related-bonus! I'm glad to
hear that my highly improbable scenario doesn't actually happen!
(Though the banter in the bus garage tearoom would have been enlivened
by this... "I got 10 cars today"... "Well I got 15"... there could
even have been a sweepstake!)

Bus lane cameras Chris! London Transport 4 May 19th 05 10:40 PM
Road speed cameras mjw1 London Transport 28 December 6th 03 07:39 AM
Green cameras FoxTravel London Transport 0 July 25th 03 05:43 PM
Green cameras Jon London Transport 0 July 25th 03 01:14 PM
Green cameras Roger the cabin boy London Transport 0 July 25th 03 01:01 PM