Old November 21st 07, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Nice announcement

On the train out of Waterloo last night, an announcement came over the
tannoy :

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention that there
is a beggar on board the train. This is the Guard. If he approaches
you for money, please do not give any. Thankyou."

Old November 21st 07, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"elyob" wrote in message
On the train out of Waterloo last night, an announcement came over the
tannoy :

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention that there
is a beggar on board the train. This is the Guard. If he approaches
you for money, please do not give any. Thankyou."

I got a more generic along the lines "Beggars sometimes operate on this
train, please don't give them money" on SWT earlier this week.

Old November 21st 07, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...

"elyob" wrote in message
On the train out of Waterloo last night, an announcement came over the
tannoy :

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention that there
is a beggar on board the train. This is the Guard. If he approaches
you for money, please do not give any. Thankyou."

I got a more generic along the lines "Beggars sometimes operate on this
train, please don't give them money" on SWT earlier this week.

Oh no! Was that a recorded announcement? SWT already play way too many of
them on every journey, I don't want any more.

Old November 21st 07, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 21, 3:33 pm, elyob wrote:
On the train out of Waterloo last night, an announcement came over the
tannoy :

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention that there
is a beggar on board the train. This is the Guard. If he approaches
you for money, please do not give any. Thankyou."

Thats true, you should have bought before boarding. Show him your
ticket and be on your way
Old November 21st 07, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graculus" wrote in message
"Graham Harrison" wrote
in message ...

"elyob" wrote in message
On the train out of Waterloo last night, an announcement came over the
tannoy :

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention that there
is a beggar on board the train. This is the Guard. If he approaches
you for money, please do not give any. Thankyou."

I got a more generic along the lines "Beggars sometimes operate on this
train, please don't give them money" on SWT earlier this week.

Oh no! Was that a recorded announcement? SWT already play way too many of
them on every journey, I don't want any more.

Yes, recorded.

The whole announcement thing is getting a bit silly. Not only on the
trains but on the platforms. But what irritates me almost more than the
number of the announcments is how (1) the train and platform announcements
don't co-ordinate and (2) when things aren't working properly (late running
and particularly out of order running) the systems don't cope.

Old November 22nd 07, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Paul Weaver writes
On Nov 21, 3:33 pm, elyob wrote:
On the train out of Waterloo last night, an announcement came over the
tannoy :

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention that there
is a beggar on board the train. This is the Guard. If he approaches
you for money, please do not give any. Thankyou."

Thats true, you should have bought before boarding. Show him your
ticket and be on your way

Priceless!!!!

(Cheered me up on a miserable November morning that.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old November 22nd 07, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...

"Graculus" wrote in message

Oh no! Was that a recorded announcement? SWT already play way too many of
them on every journey, I don't want any more.

Yes, recorded.

The whole announcement thing is getting a bit silly. Not only on the
trains but on the platforms. But what irritates me almost more than the
number of the announcments is how (1) the train and platform announcements
don't co-ordinate and (2) when things aren't working properly (late
running and particularly out of order running) the systems don't cope.

One that irritates me is the one they play on the platform when a train
terminates - 'the train now standing, blah blah, all change please' which
seems aimed at the occupants of the train, (which probably made sense before
train PAs existed). However, the said train is usually just approaching
the station, nowhere near the platform, and a similar announcement is also
taking place on board just a bit too early, or they are announcing the
outgoing service already...

Paul

Old November 22nd 07, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:46:43PM -0000, Graham Harrison wrote:

The whole announcement thing is getting a bit silly. Not only on the
trains but on the platforms. But what irritates me almost more than the
number of the announcments is how (1) the train and platform announcements
don't co-ordinate and (2) when things aren't working properly (late running
and particularly out of order running) the systems don't cope.

The one that ****es me off is that the recorded announcements of "this
is Putney. The next station is Wandsworth Town" are usually wrong.
They're either a stop or two out, or they think the train is travelling
in the opposite direction. Not very helpful when you're buried in a
good book and want to know when to get off the bloody train.

This even happens on those trains where the trainco has been stupid
enough to try to tie the doors in to GPS so that they can't open if the
driver stops a yard or two away from the end of the platform.

While researching this email, I was forced to carry out some
investigative work which unfortunately involved a bucket of
puppies and a belt sander
-- after JoeB, in the Monastery
Old November 22nd 07, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 21, 3:33 pm, elyob wrote:
On the train out of Waterloo last night, an announcement came over the
tannoy :

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention that there
is a beggar on board the train. This is the Guard. If he approaches
you for money, please do not give any. Thankyou."

My favourite, from many years ago (late 80s or early 90s) was.

"We apologize for the delay to this service. This is due to a train on
the track"

Tim.
Old November 22nd 07, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 22 Nov, 12:18, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Graham Harrison" wrote in

"Graculus" wrote in message

[...]

That's why they tell you to mind the gap between the platform and the
train.