London Banter

-   -   SPAD Signal (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5938-spad-signal.html)

MaxB December 5th 07 08:18 PM

SPAD Signal

At the London end of platform 6 at London Bridge is what appears to be
a normal 4 aspect signal, showing no light, with the label "SPAD". Can
anyone tell me if this is in use? How does it work? Are there others?
Etc..

MaxB

Barry Salter December 5th 07 10:13 PM

SPAD Signal

MaxB wrote:
At the London end of platform 6 at London Bridge is what appears to
be a normal 4 aspect signal, showing no light, with the label "SPAD".
Can anyone tell me if this is in use? How does it work? Are there
others? Etc..

The short answer is that it's a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) Indicator.

If a train goes past the associated signal (which, if memory serves, is
number L100) the top and bottom lights will display flashing red
aspects, with the middle light displaying a steady red aspect (which may
or may not have the word "STOP" across the middle).

The SPAD indicator will also have an AWS (Automatic Warning System)
(electro)magnet associated with it, which will be energised if the
indicator is activated, which will sound a warning horn in the cab (and
apply the emergency brake if not acknowledged within a certain period of
time).

HTH,

Barry

PhilD December 6th 07 07:14 AM

SPAD Signal

On Dec 5, 11:13 pm, Barry Salter wrote:
Can anyone tell me if this is in use? How does it work? Are there
others? Etc..

The short answer is that it's a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) Indicator.

snip Barry's explanation

There are others dotted around the country. I know of some at
Reading. They tend to appear in busy/cluttered areas where risk of
over run is higher (or at least, the consequences could be worse).

PhilD

MaxB December 6th 07 10:11 AM

SPAD Signal

On 6 Dec, 08:14, PhilD wrote:
On Dec 5, 11:13 pm, Barry Salter wrote:

Can anyone tell me if this is in use? How does it work? Are there
others? Etc..

The short answer is that it's a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) Indicator.

snip Barry's explanation

There are others dotted around the country. I know of some at
Reading. They tend to appear in busy/cluttered areas where risk of
over run is higher (or at least, the consequences could be worse).

PhilD

--

Thanks - I assume the most likely scenario is that the driver accepts
the RA from the platform and ignores the signal (which presumably he

MaxB

Cheeky December 6th 07 06:20 PM

SPAD Signal

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 00:14:41 -0800 (PST), PhilD
wrote:

On Dec 5, 11:13 pm, Barry Salter wrote:
Can anyone tell me if this is in use? How does it work? Are there
others? Etc..

The short answer is that it's a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) Indicator.

snip Barry's explanation

There are others dotted around the country. I know of some at
Reading. They tend to appear in busy/cluttered areas where risk of
over run is higher (or at least, the consequences could be worse).

PhilD

Several around the west end of Leeds as well.

Thanks for the explanation - it's a question I've been meaning to ask
for a while myself!

Clive D. W. Feather December 9th 07 09:33 PM

SPAD Signal

In article , Cheeky
writes
The short answer is that it's a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) Indicator.

[...]
Several around the west end of Leeds as well.

I'll just add a note: while SPADIs are marked with the signal or signals
that they relate to, the rulebooks says that *any* driver seeing one
illuminate should stop as soon as possible and wait for the signaller to
decide who moves first.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: