Old December 17th 07, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Talking Buses

Heathrow Connect is one of the worst talking trains with numerous
repetitive and pointless announcements like 'CCTV is used aboard this
train.' So what? This didn't stop a hoodie attempting to knife a
member of staff a few months ago. Now we have talking buses - like the
Transdev's H98. This not only announces the next bus stop, but also
stupid requests such as don't forget to take all your belongings with
you, etc. Its almost as bad as the FGW buses stating the obvious such
as 'the doors are now opening/closing.' It makes me want to turn my
Walkman up really loud to stop hearing these inane and nanny state
announcements. CJB.

Old December 17th 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 17, 3:47 pm, CJB wrote:
Heathrow Connect is one of the worst talking trains with numerous
repetitive and pointless announcements like 'CCTV is used aboard this
train.' So what? This didn't stop a hoodie attempting to knife a
member of staff a few months ago. Now we have talking buses - like the
Transdev's H98. This not only announces the next bus stop, but also
stupid requests such as don't forget to take all your belongings with
you, etc. Its almost as bad as the FGW buses stating the obvious such
as 'the doors are now opening/closing.' It makes me want to turn my
Walkman up really loud to stop hearing these inane and nanny state
announcements. CJB.

I got really annoyed by the talking bus... but then I thought about it
a bit, and unwound. It's not as if a London bus is a haven of
quietness for meditative reflection, it's really useful to know what
bus stop you're coming to when you don't know the route (I think
that's my major problem with London Transport, actually) and works
particularly well with tfl.gov.uk's routefinder. And that's with me
being reasonably well sighted. Must be a thousand times better for the
visually impaired.

Could do with fewer 'please remember to take your wotsits'
announcements, though.

Old December 17th 07, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm absolutely sick of them all. I can't imagine being a commuter on
the Heathrow Connect, how awful it must be. It's literally an
announcement per minute.
I'm all for more information, but could this please be visual
information only. That way it doesn't have to disturb all the
passengers. The few people for who this doesn't suffice should seek
the help from the train assistant or bus driver.
Old December 17th 07, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:12:53 -0800 (PST), Rupert Goodwins
wrote:

I got really annoyed by the talking bus... but then I thought about it
a bit, and unwound. It's not as if a London bus is a haven of
quietness for meditative reflection, it's really useful to know what
bus stop you're coming to when you don't know the route (I think
that's my major problem with London Transport, actually) and works
particularly well with tfl.gov.uk's routefinder. And that's with me
being reasonably well sighted. Must be a thousand times better for the
visually impaired.

And for those who can't see the displays that are also being installed
but want to know where they are (but aren't familiar enough with the
area to do that by looking out of the window).

These kind of things are about the best thing you can do to help those
who don't know the area use buses.

Could do with fewer 'please remember to take your wotsits'
announcements, though.

The version I've seen (on the 73 and 168) doesn't have any such
announcements - its vocabulary is just a list of stops, the number and
the destination. I do hope the rolled-out version doesn't have all
the rubbish added.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 17th 07, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, CJB wrote:

Heathrow Connect is one of the worst talking trains with numerous
repetitive and pointless announcements like 'CCTV is used aboard this
train.' So what? This didn't stop a hoodie attempting to knife a member
of staff a few months ago. Now we have talking buses - like the
Transdev's H98. This not only announces the next bus stop, but also
stupid requests such as don't forget to take all your belongings with
you, etc. Its almost as bad as the FGW buses stating the obvious such as
'the doors are now opening/closing.'

I got the N253 the other night, and that's gone talking too. It only does
stop announcements, though, no nagging. In theory, i like this, but
actually, when i'm on a night bus, i want a chance to doze, not some bird
reading out street names like they were passes in a very boring football
match.

Also, in some places, the announcement went off when the bus was already
passing the stop. Possibly because it was four in the morning and the
driver was flooring it past deserted stops.

It makes me want to turn my Walkman up really loud to stop hearing these
inane and nanny state announcements.

Maybe you could ask one of the teenagers to play you some nice music on
their mobile phone?

tom

--
never mind your fingers, i've got blisters on my brain

Old December 17th 07, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:26:20 -0800 (PST), sweek
wrote:

The few people for who this doesn't suffice should seek
the help from the train assistant or bus driver.

This would be fine if bus drivers actually, in general, did help.
Given that they don't use the PA now even on buses where it is
provided, I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in that.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 17th 07, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

At 07:47:49 on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 CJB opined:-

Heathrow Connect is one of the worst talking trains with numerous
repetitive and pointless announcements like 'CCTV is used aboard this
train.' So what? This didn't stop a hoodie attempting to knife a
member of staff a few months ago. Now we have talking buses - like the
Transdev's H98. This not only announces the next bus stop, but also
stupid requests such as don't forget to take all your belongings with
you, etc. Its almost as bad as the FGW buses stating the obvious such
as 'the doors are now opening/closing.' It makes me want to turn my
Walkman up really loud to stop hearing these inane and nanny state
announcements. CJB.

They are also on the 65 route (Ealing-Richmond-Kingston).
--
Thoss
Old December 17th 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Dec, 17:31, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
The version I've seen (on the 73 and 168) doesn't have any such
announcements - its vocabulary is just a list of stops, the number and
the destination. I do hope the rolled-out version doesn't have all
the rubbish added.

I've not heard any nagging either (on the 123).

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old December 17th 07, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:13:03 -0800 (PST), Mr Thant
wrote:

On 17 Dec, 17:31, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
The version I've seen (on the 73 and 168) doesn't have any such
announcements - its vocabulary is just a list of stops, the number and
the destination. I do hope the rolled-out version doesn't have all
the rubbish added.

I've not heard any nagging either (on the 123).

ISTR that the 168 has actually had all (1 word of) the spurious
vocabulary removed, not that it had a lot in the first place. The
original version said "Route...168 To... Hampstead Heath" (I rarely
use it in t'other direction) but the "Route" was soon dropped,
presumably as pointless and annoying.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

How fast-talking cyclist got away with 'jumping red light' - Daily Mail Bruce[_2_] London Transport 5 January 17th 12 07:09 PM
Talking Trains burkey London Transport 0 November 10th 06 02:19 PM
Talking Buses CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North London Transport 19 February 20th 04 08:51 AM