Old December 23rd 07, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East London Line - THE STOCK

So what happens to the A Stock that was used on the East London Line
fleet? Can Neasden cope with all of it? Where before a few 4 cars were
maintained or berthed at New Cross Depot which now won't happen, what
happens to the redundant trains? Swallowed up into the rest of the
Metropolitan fleet? Do they have a need for them? Or is some sub
surface scrapping on the cards? Hopefully they can be used to
suppliment the rubbish C Stock on the Circle line!!

Old December 23rd 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hopefully they can be used to
suppliment the rubbish C Stock on the Circle line!!

I thought that A stock cannot run over entire Inner Circle?
Old December 23rd 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 23, 7:30*pm, alex_t wrote:
Hopefully they can be used to
suppliment the rubbish C Stock on the Circle line!!

I thought that A stock cannot run over entire Inner Circle?

If at all, only in four-car formations, which wouldn't help much.

There was no specific stock for the East London Line, it was just part
of the pool maintained at Neasden. The restriction was that only the
double-ended units could be used singly, but even those must have
spent the majority of their time on the Metropolitan because there
were plenty of them.

I guess that it will just allow for some early withdrawals in lieu of
overhauls at some point?
Old December 23rd 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Standing at HN28 signal" wrote in message

So what happens to the A Stock that was used on the East London Line
fleet? Can Neasden cope with all of it? Where before a few 4 cars were
maintained or berthed at New Cross Depot which now won't happen, what
happens to the redundant trains? Swallowed up into the rest of the
Metropolitan fleet? Do they have a need for them? Or is some sub
surface scrapping on the cards? Hopefully they can be used to
suppliment the rubbish C Stock on the Circle line!!

There have been times in the past when the A stock was confined to the
Met (eg, when other stock was used on the East London line, or when it
was previously closed for rebuilding), so I assume they have room for
them at Neasden. But they're too long for use on certain Circle line
stations (and maybe too wide as well?), so they won't be used on any
other lines.

In any case, the old A stock is due for replacement soon by the new S
stock.

Old December 23rd 07, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

alex_t wrote:
Hopefully they can be used to
suppliment the rubbish C Stock on the Circle line!!

I thought that A stock cannot run over entire Inner Circle?

HI Guys

The restriction used to be on the western part of the Circle (Praed Street
Jcn to High St Ken. IIRC) where A stock was only allowed to run empty and
there were severe restrictions on what it could pass on the opposite road
(e.g. A stock was banned from passing another A stock),. AIUI was virtually
impossible to timetable a move in normal traffic. It was supposedly a
combination of length, static width (Loading Gauge problems), end overthrow
and dynamic envelope.

I don't know if the restrictions are still in place, but am not aware
(cannot remember) of any major work which would have alleviated the problem.

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK

Old December 23rd 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 Dec, 00:06, "Peter Corser" wrote:
alex_t wrote:
[...]

Thanks for correcting me on A Stock width restrictions!
So there are no immediate plans for the spare stock then?! (Oh and yes
I am painfully aware the A60s are due to go soon, a shame as they are
still a great piece of kit)
Old December 24th 07, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Standing at HN28 signal) wrote:

On 24 Dec, 00:06, "Peter Corser"
wrote:
alex_t wrote:
[...]

A stock cars are 137 mm longer than C stock driving cars and 1227 mm
longer than C stock trailer cars. They are 26 mm wider and pretty well
the same height.

If the air metacone suspension had survived the C stock refurbishment I
would expect more dynamic envelope issues there than with A stock. Brian
Hardy says it was replaced by a rubber blob system like on the D stock so
maybe that won't be an issue now.

By the time it is withdrawn, much of the A stock will be 50 years old, a
recent record in London.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 24th 07, 03:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

AIUI two 4-car units of A60 are to be stood down immediately following
end of EL line.

One unit will be used as a spare parts donor for the rest of the
fleet. One unit will be permanently formed as a sandite unit - I don't
know how many cars used in this. Nor do I know any of the car numbers
of either unit.

--
Nick

Old December 24th 07, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 23, 6:02*pm, Standing at HN28 signal
wrote:
So what happens to the A Stock that was used on the East London Line
fleet? Can Neasden cope with all of it? Where before a few 4 cars were
maintained or berthed at New Cross Depot which now won't happen, what
happens to the redundant trains? Swallowed up into the rest of the
Metropolitan fleet? Do they have a need for them? Or is some sub
surface scrapping on the cards? Hopefully they can be used to
suppliment the rubbish C Stock on the Circle line!!

Don't forget that there is more space now at Neasden than before the
Jubilee line extension opened. Stratford has taken over stabling and
maintenance of much of the 1996 stock for the Jubilee, which used to
be based at Neasden. According to the London Underground Rolling Stock
Book by Brian Hardy, New Cross Depot only needed to provide 4 units
for the East London Line and Neasden is used for the other two units
undergoing maintenance. Neasden always did the heavy work anyway, so
the only real addition is the stabling space for two extra, 8 coach
trains.
Old January 3rd 08, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:02:28 -0000, Standing at HN28 signal
wrote:

So what happens to the A Stock that was used on the East London Line
fleet? Can Neasden cope with all of it? Where before a few 4 cars were
maintained or berthed at New Cross Depot which now won't happen, what
happens to the redundant trains? Swallowed up into the rest of the
Metropolitan fleet? Do they have a need for them? Or is some sub
surface scrapping on the cards? Hopefully they can be used to
suppliment the rubbish C Stock on the Circle line!!

I'm not sure if this will answer your question but, I was on a Met train
today that was plastered with yellow "East London Line closing 22 Dec!!!!
Get on the busses!!!!" stickers on all windows and line diagrams. It was
one of those that claimed to be both ELL & MET in the windows. The
stickers were only on one half of the 8 car train. For the anoraks, the
driving cars of the 4 car unit were 5063 & 5062. 5063 was joined to 5196
with Met only posters and stickers.

In other news, I noticed my first on-train Central London Tube map showing
London Overground on another Met train later the same evening. Not heard
this discussed yet and this is the first that I have seen one.
Hi-res piccy he http://phil-ferne.net/misc/tube.jpg

--
Fig