London Banter

-   -   The tube wasn't completely closed on Christmas Day... :( (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6020-tube-wasnt-completely-closed-christmas.html)

Richard J.[_2_] January 2nd 08 12:01 AM

The tube wasn't completely closed on Christmas Day... :(

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(steve) wrote:

Stuart wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Arsenal, Holloway Road and Caledonian Road on the Piccadilly
line. Now how did they get in there?

All that nice new tiling at Arsenal too :(

Holloway Road and Caledonian Road had been completely cleaned by
the 27th, Arsenal by the 29th - good work, TfL anti-graf squad.
No visible damage to the new (or old) tiles in any of the
stations. Speedy removal is the best defence.

Absolutely. So why is the Belle Isle area never cleaned up?

Where is Belle Isle? Is that the area around Barnsbury where the
CTRL portal is? Or am i thinking of something else?

Yes, between Gas Works and Copenhagen tunnels, I thought.

The reason is that Network Rail are far less efficient at dealing with
graffiti than Metronet and Tube Lines.
--
Richard J.

Colin Rosenstiel January 2nd 08 12:22 AM

The tube wasn't completely closed on Christmas Day... :(

In article
,
(chunky munky) wrote:

[Graffiti]

It is cheaper to clean it up, than to provide adequete preventative
security at all sites.

only if it is cleaned up promptly. I have been shocked how bad some of
the stock 'one' put out at Cambridge has been since their 317s were moved
from Hornsey to Ilford.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Tom Anderson January 2nd 08 09:58 PM

The tube wasn't completely closed on Christmas Day... :(

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

(steve) wrote:

Stuart wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Arsenal, Holloway Road and Caledonian Road on the Piccadilly
line. Now how did they get in there?

All that nice new tiling at Arsenal too :(

Holloway Road and Caledonian Road had been completely cleaned by
the 27th, Arsenal by the 29th - good work, TfL anti-graf squad. No
visible damage to the new (or old) tiles in any of the stations.
Speedy removal is the best defence.

Absolutely. So why is the Belle Isle area never cleaned up?

Where is Belle Isle? Is that the area around Barnsbury where the
CTRL portal is? Or am i thinking of something else?

Yes, between Gas Works and Copenhagen tunnels, I thought.

Are those, respectively, the tunnels beneath York Way, the canal and
Goodsway, and Market Road, Brewery Road and Blundell Street? The first and
second as you come out of KX? I'm a bit confused about the names, as
Copenhagen Street is much closer to the first tunnel - but then so is the
gasworks!

Ah yes, here are some references:

http://www.islington.gov.uk/democrac...sp?DocID=38381
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/twa/dl/tha...dwo1036?page=4
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/twa/ir/tha...po1034?page=30

That would make it what's called the 'Triangle Site' in the KX
redevelopment, right?

There seems to have been a funeral station here at one point:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ms.drap...cts/Dawes.html

Now that's what i call a halt.

tom

--
skills to pay the bills!

Colin Rosenstiel January 2nd 08 11:14 PM

(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Where is Belle Isle? Is that the area around Barnsbury where the
CTRL portal is? Or am i thinking of something else?

Yes, between Gas Works and Copenhagen tunnels, I thought.

Are those, respectively, the tunnels beneath York Way, the canal
and Goodsway, and Market Road, Brewery Road and Blundell Street?
The first and second as you come out of KX? I'm a bit confused
about the names, as Copenhagen Street is much closer to the first
tunnel - but then so is the gasworks!

Ah yes, here are some references:

http://www.islington.gov.uk/democrac...sp?DocID=38381

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/twa/dl/tha...ansportandwo10
36?page=4

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/twa/ir/tha...2000inspectors
repo1034?page=30

That would make it what's called the 'Triangle Site' in the KX
redevelopment, right?

I think that's more to the West of the line where I meant the area
occupied by the (originally 6) GN tracks only.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

asdf January 3rd 08 06:37 PM

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 01:01:02 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

Holloway Road and Caledonian Road had been completely cleaned by
the 27th, Arsenal by the 29th - good work, TfL anti-graf squad.
No visible damage to the new (or old) tiles in any of the
stations. Speedy removal is the best defence.

Absolutely. So why is the Belle Isle area never cleaned up?

Where is Belle Isle? Is that the area around Barnsbury where the
CTRL portal is? Or am i thinking of something else?

Yes, between Gas Works and Copenhagen tunnels, I thought.

The reason is that Network Rail are far less efficient at dealing with
graffiti than Metronet and Tube Lines.

This is particularly evident along the Finchley Road to
Harrow-on-the-Hill route. The bridge supports on the Metronet side of
the tracks have no graffiti, while those on the Network Rail side are
covered in it.