Old January 13th 08, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Shepherds Bush

Does this mean that removing the lighting columns and attaching the
lights to the walls might fix the problem?

Whilst it may meet the minima values shown in the standards it may not
be deemed as safe. Paul Scott's comments on HSE/HMRI (now part of ORR
I believe) indicate the true nature as these are subect to
certification before coming into operation.

From my experiences any designs to minima standards are frowned upon
since they cause knockon problems. In this case for example how would
a ladder be put up to paint the lamposts/change a lightbulb without
the risk of anything falling onto the track? Similarly someone with a
suitcase or pushchair standing at the foot of the stairs would apppear
block the safe part of the platform and force all users to walk
between the yellow line and the platform edge.

The conclusion of this issue should be interesting.

OC

Old January 13th 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Old Central wrote:

Does this mean that removing the lighting columns and attaching the
lights to the walls might fix the problem?

Whilst it may meet the minima values shown in the standards it may not
be deemed as safe. Paul Scott's comments on HSE/HMRI (now part of ORR
I believe) indicate the true nature as these are subect to
certification before coming into operation.

From my experiences any designs to minima standards are frowned upon
since they cause knockon problems. In this case for example how would
a ladder be put up to paint the lamposts/change a lightbulb without
the risk of anything falling onto the track? Similarly someone with a
suitcase or pushchair standing at the foot of the stairs would apppear
block the safe part of the platform and force all users to walk
between the yellow line and the platform edge.

The conclusion of this issue should be interesting.

OC

It's such a monumentally daft cock-up it's quite hard to believe it
has actually happened! Why were Network Rail seemingly so laissez
faire when it came to overseeing what Westfield were up to? So many
questions on this one...

P.S. HMRI transferred from the HSE to the ORR on the inauspicious date
of 1 April 2006:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/railways/
Old January 13th 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Jan, 19:30, Mizter T wrote:
Old Central wrote:
Does this mean that removing the lighting columns and attaching the
lights to the walls might fix the problem?

Whilst it may meet the minima values shown in the standards it may not
be deemed as safe. Paul Scott's comments on HSE/HMRI (now part of ORR
I believe) indicate the true nature as these are subect to
certification before coming into operation.

From my experiences any designs to minima standards are frowned upon
since they cause knockon problems. In this case for example how would
a ladder be put up to paint the lamposts/change a lightbulb without
the risk of anything falling onto the track? Similarly someone with a
suitcase or pushchair standing at the foot of the stairs would apppear
block the safe part of the platform and force all users to walk
between the yellow line and the platform edge.

The conclusion of this issue should be interesting.

OC

It's such a monumentally daft cock-up it's quite hard to believe it
has actually happened! Why were Network Rail seemingly so laissez
faire when it came to overseeing what Westfield were up to? So many
questions on this one...

P.S. HMRI transferred from the HSE to the ORR on the inauspicious date
of 1 April 2006:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/railways/

Maybe they don't really want to have platforms there?
Old January 15th 08, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Yet again - Well done U
http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/ - now has a clear photograph.
The lamposts have surely got to be moved on the west side and
preferably on the east side as well. Are there any similar examples of
this type of platform furniture arrangement? Incidently what is served
by the footbridge just to the north?
Old January 15th 08, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Jan, 14:17, Mwmbwls wrote:
Yet again - Well done Uhttp://londonconnections.blogspot.com/- now has a clear photograph.

Thanks. I should emphasize that my latest post is just me joining the
dots between various things I've been told, and there's a lot of scope
to have got it wrong.

what is served by the footbridge *just to the north?

Big clue at the bottom of the picture.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old January 15th 08, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 15 Jan, 14:17, Mwmbwls wrote:
Yet again - Well done Uhttp://londonconnections.blogspot.com/- now
has a clear photograph.

Thanks. I should emphasize that my latest post is just me joining the
dots between various things I've been told, and there's a lot of scope
to have got it wrong.

what is served by the footbridge just to the north?

Big clue at the bottom of the picture.

An emergency escape route? That helps make the narrow platform safer than
otherwise then...

I ike your theory that LO just don't want to use it (perhaps because the two
sides don't match?) Perhaps Southern should ask NR if they can manage and
use it then...

Paul

Shepherds Bush station - West London line THC London Transport 2 September 1st 07 10:15 AM
Shepherds Bush Central line station improvements Paul Scott London Transport 5 August 30th 07 11:09 PM
Wood Lane & Shepherds Bush Market Paul Scott London Transport 10 November 21st 06 03:37 PM
Shepherds Bush nsj London Transport 7 September 21st 05 06:20 PM
Escalator failures (was: Shepherds Bush) Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 August 18th 05 12:27 PM