Old January 1st 08, 02:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Shepherds Bush

If I may, I'd like to recommend Mr Thants update to the Shepherds Bush
platform saga. Good cross sectional drawing of the infamous wall behind the
northbound platform, explains the difficulty of moving it, and showing the
lights bracketed off the wall, as previously suggested. (As an aside - has
it been designed that way to try and prevent wayward buses falling onto the
platform?)

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...d-of-year.html

The southbound photo shows the access from the footbridge in the direction
of the tracks via the narrowest part of the platform, rather than 'along'
the line of the platform. Note also the (loudspeaker?) pole stood right on
the corner, again narrowing the access - why isnt it hung off the footbridge
structure?

As far as I'm concerned the same sort of 'beginners mistake' as that DLR
footbridge at Stratford, that should also access the platform away from the
tracks...

Paul S

Old January 1st 08, 02:58 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...-bush-overgrou...

As far as I'm concerned the same sort of 'beginners mistake' as that DLR
footbridge at Stratford, that should also access the platform away from the
tracks...

Paul S

Hear, Hear.
I expect that this could run and run whilst various lawyers employed
by insurers providing professional indemnity endeavour.to attribute
responsibility(AKA the blame). If it goes to arbitration it could take
years. I am surprised that questions have not been raised in the
House. Ken also seems to be curiously reticent.
Accepting that some intractable bits may have been built - how
difficult would it be to build a full width extension north of the
existing platform and the using the existing narrow platform as a
walkway. Is there room before the West Way Slip Road. Alas my Google
Earth has not kept up with progress.
Old January 1st 08, 03:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
If I may, I'd like to recommend Mr Thants update to the Shepherds Bush
platform saga. Good cross sectional drawing of the infamous wall behind
the northbound platform, explains the difficulty of moving it, and showing
the lights bracketed off the wall, as previously suggested. (As an
aside - has it been designed that way to try and prevent wayward buses
falling onto the platform?)

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...d-of-year.html

The southbound photo shows the access from the footbridge in the direction
of the tracks via the narrowest part of the platform, rather than 'along'
the line of the platform. Note also the (loudspeaker?) pole stood right on
the corner, again narrowing the access - why isnt it hung off the
footbridge structure?

Either you have a different picture to the one in the link above, or bloody
good resolution on your screen. I can bearly see the footbridge, let alone
anything hanging off it

tim

Old January 1st 08, 03:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote in message

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Have you clicked on the picture? :-)

'Footbridge' is possibly inaccurate, I'm referring to the grey box affair
that is both the platform end of the footbridge stairs and waiting shelter.
The footbridge itself is on the diagonal and 'behind the box' as it were...

Paul

Old January 1st 08, 03:54 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On 1 Jan, 16:16, "tim....." wrote:
Either you have a different picture to the one in the link above, or bloody
good resolution on your screen. *I can bearly see the footbridge, let alone
anything hanging off it

That's a fair point actually. I've replaced it with one taken from a
different angle where you can see the footbridge.

(though now you can only see the top of the lamp post Paul mentioned)

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old January 1st 08, 03:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
On 1 Jan, 16:16, "tim....." wrote:
Either you have a different picture to the one in the link above, or
bloody
good resolution on your screen. I can bearly see the footbridge, let alone
anything hanging off it

That's a fair point actually. I've replaced it with one taken from a
different angle where you can see the footbridge.

(though now you can only see the top of the lamp post Paul mentioned)

You had me seriously worried there. I thought "I'm sure that this wasn't
the picture I saw before".

tim

Old January 2nd 08, 12:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 1 Jan, 16:16, "tim....." wrote:
Either you have a different picture to the one in the link above, or
bloody good resolution on your screen. I can bearly see the
footbridge, let alone anything hanging off it

That's a fair point actually. I've replaced it with one taken from a
different angle where you can see the footbridge.

I'm amused by the "Welcome to Shepherds Bush" message. The only people who
will ever look at that sign will be trying to get out of Shepherds Bush
ASAP.

Old January 2nd 08, 09:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

In these days of being told to switch off lights and concern about the
planet, why does a station that has never seen or likely to see this century
a single passenger, have the lights on 16 hours a day? I also like the "
silverlink " station signs ( it was obvious to most that Ken's new train set
would take over before the station opened! This must be the only stn to have
new signs and
they must surely become collector's item's due to the old franchise never
stopping a service there. Who designed this balls up and who then approved
it? I trust they got a very big bonus.

Old January 2nd 08, 09:22 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

wrote:

This must be the only stn to have
new signs and
they must surely become collector's item's due to the old franchise never
stopping a service there.

Sounds a bit like Canary Wharf DLR, where not only the sign, but the
entire station was removed before it ever opened!
Old January 2nd 08, 09:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
WZR WZR is offline

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:22:26 -0800 (PST), Stephen Furley wrote:

wrote:

This must be the only stn to have
new signs and
they must surely become collector's item's due to the old franchise never
stopping a service there.

Sounds a bit like Canary Wharf DLR, where not only the sign, but the
entire station was removed before it ever opened!

Was it actually built, then? I went on an official visit which included a
ride on most of the system, and the trains stopped in the middle of nowhere,
as the station stop was programmed in to the computer.

IIRC our guide explained that this was due to plans for the station having
been put on hold, rather than it having been removed.

It is 20 years ago though, so memory might be playing tricks.

--
WZR

Shepherds Bush station - West London line THC London Transport 2 September 1st 07 10:15 AM
Shepherds Bush Central line station improvements Paul Scott London Transport 5 August 30th 07 11:09 PM
Wood Lane & Shepherds Bush Market Paul Scott London Transport 10 November 21st 06 03:37 PM
Shepherds Bush nsj London Transport 7 September 21st 05 06:20 PM
Escalator failures (was: Shepherds Bush) Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 August 18th 05 12:27 PM