Old January 6th 08, 11:47 PM posted to soc.men,soc.culture.british,uk.transport.london

Default Couple banned for life from shopping centre and branded 'terrorists' - for taking photos of their grandchildren

"MCP" wrote in message
.uk...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...&ito =newsnow

A couple were banned for life from a shopping centre - because they were
taking photos of their beloved grandchildren.

Kim and Trevor Sparshott were ordered to stop taking photos because they
were
causing a security threat.

They were thrown out of the centre after they took out a camera to snap
the
look on the youngsters' faces when they turned up unexpectedly.

The couple were on a four-day break from their home in Spain and wanted to
surprise their family by arriving at the centre, in Fareham, Hants, while
they
were shopping.

But when they went to take a photo, a security guard pounced and ordered
them
out.

The guard then insisted that cameras were banned because of the risk of a
terrorist attack - and barred the bemused couple for life.

Speaking from her home in Malaga, Spain, Mrs Sparshott, 51, said: "I
couldn't
believe it. I was so shocked.

"He said we had committed an act of terrorism.

"At first I wanted the ground to swallow me up whole because it was so
embarassing - but then I got really angry."

Mr Sparshott, 52, added: "Instead of being a nice surprise for our family
it
turned into a nightmare. I was furious.

You should have smacked the little punk around.

"In these worrying times we understand the need for caution, but surely a
quiet word when he first saw us would have stopped all this
unpleasantness."

The couple, who had been visiting their daughter, who lives in Gosport,
Hants,
with her husband and children, returned to Spain in shock.

They wrote a letter of complaint to the centre, and received a reply from
manager Pam Gillard who said taking photos was a security risk.

In the reply to the Sparshotts, Ms Gillard said: "By the sounds of it my
officers/duty manager didn't explain the position very clearly and for
that I
apologise."

Speaking after the incident, she added: "Fareham Shopping Centre is
private
property and has a policy to support the security of the shops, where the
taking of photographs needs prior permission.

"The Sparshotts are welcome back to the centre."

It's a **** shopping centre. Only spivs and pervs go there.

Ms Gillard

She's a diesel dyke ****.

refused to comment further on the centre's security policies, but
added that the camera ban was not because of a terrorist threat.

The situation has amazed civil rights campaigners, who say the centre's
reaction was 'completely over the top'.

Roger Smith, director of civil liberties group Justice, said: "The key is
proportionality - it is quite reasonable to have restrictions on what
people
can do, but this is just daft.

"It seems completely over the top."

--
Gender, sexual orientation, skin color and ethnicity are accidents at
birth,